BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Anders_t120
Anders_t120
Gotland Sweden
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Ken Abrams, Egbert JAS, turflok, Carl Courson, Roddy Walsh
10780 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 133
NickL 61
DavidP 59
MarcB 51
Popular Topics(Views)
950,511 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,526
Posts675,901
Members10,780
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (Adam M.), 393 guests, and 810 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
oil issues? #764705 02/06/19 11:42 pm
D
Dave Martin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
BSA B441 1968 pre OIF. So now I have the thing running, pulling like a freakin train, and making enough noise to disrupt the whole darn neighborhood (cool!), I thought I better check the oil system. Return to the tank seems just fine, spitting a bit on tick over but a nice steady stream once you give it a bit of throttle. My worry is the rockers. they just don't seem very wet. When the engine was apart I stripped and cleaned them even blew through the oil ways. just how much oil should there be? I was expecting a steady flow but don't want to try to fix a problem that doesn't exist!

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: oil issues? [Re: Dave Martin] #764707 02/06/19 11:59 pm
L
LarryLebel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
The oil should always return in intermittent spurts because the return side of the oil pump has higher capacity than the delivery side. The oil to the rockers is also intermittent because the rocker feed pipe takes off of the return line. This pipe is also quite smaller than the return line so flow will be less than back into the oil tank.

Re: oil issues? [Re: Dave Martin] #764727 02/07/19 9:06 am
Allan Gill Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Something I was taught do from a younger age was block the oil feed line to the tank off with your finger, forcing more oil through to the rocker feed side, this way purging out any air.

Now whether this actually does anything or not is anyone’s guess, especially if the pump is working properly the sump should be empty of oil briefly as the pump scavenges air as well as oil. (The return side has a greater capacity than the feed)

Hard to tell on an A65 but your B series engine with its inspection caps removed might show if any more oil is reaching the valve area.

beerchug
Re: oil issues? [Re: Dave Martin] #764732 02/07/19 12:12 pm
D
Dave Martin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Thanks for that, will play with it later. I had removed the cover by the pushrods and it looked not exactly wet in there. the gasket is pretty naff and I had expected an oil leak. Will remove the tappet covers and look there. I am fairly new to the unit single world, in this century at least (I used to mess with them 40 odd years ago) but I seem to remember a mod you could do to them to take the oil feed to the rockers from else where, like the B50??? more pressure??

Re: oil issues? [Re: Dave Martin] #764778 02/07/19 10:30 pm
Allan Gill Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
You don’t want too much oil to the top end, which can be another problem, with this you never empty the sump of oil. If your lucky that’ll cause drag at the crank but most likely it will also increase crank case compression and pee out of where ever it can.

beerchug
Re: oil issues? [Re: Dave Martin] #764809 02/08/19 2:03 am
gunner Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Its mainly the rocker shafts which needs oil, hence the feed from the return line.

As Allan suggests, blocking the oil tank return with your finger will force more oil to the rocker shafts and this was recommended after a rebuild and is still a good idea.

Don't forget the rocker box is constantly filled by oil mist blown in from the crankcases, so theres plenty in there. Try running with one of the inspection covers off and you will see how much oil comes out.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership