BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
hein weijers
hein weijers
The Netherlands..
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Egbert JAS, turflok, Carl Courson, Roddy Walsh, Mark Creighton
10779 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 133
NickL 61
DavidP 59
MarcB 51
Popular Topics(Views)
950,455 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,525
Posts675,891
Members10,779
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
56 registered members (Adam M.), 377 guests, and 805 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Weldless Crank End Feed Conversion #764352 02/03/19 8:14 am
M
Mito Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Hey Guys, progress on the 71 A65FS has been a bit glacial while I nutted out my timing side bearing and crank end feed conversion. I wanted to achieve a route that did not require welding the inner cover as they warp pretty bad. Dave Maddigan suggested tapping into the gallery that fed the timing side bush and bypassed to the OPRV. As the gallery is only a couple of mil below the surface, I was not able to establish a flat spotface on the sloping casting before I broke through so yes, I did has to put a dab of weld here to create a flat plateau but the main case can tolerate this.
Next, I brought a spigot up to the outside of the inner cover. This spigot is offset to try and gain some distance away from the cover edge and is threaded and anchored into the main case and seals on the spotface. I also extended a seal boss on the end of the crank and brought that out through the inner case.
A simple manifold is then pushed over the spigot using multiple o rings to seal and is then piped to a seal holder that clamps over the crank end boss. You will see on the outer cover photo that the spigot manifold is milled into perimeter of the case. This allows it to be held in place using the outer cover. I was able to maintain a 5mm gallery all the way from pump to crank.
Timing side bearing was the standard 32 x 20 x 47 needle roller and end float was done using part of the old timing side bush pressed back into the case and the bronze thrust washer. Shims packed out the drive side bearing to achieve 2 thou float. Crank seal is a 22 x 14 x 6 high pressure seal which is good for 140psi.
All in all, pretty happy with the result. A lot of the design was suck it and see and there is a couple of dimensions I would change next time around.

Cheers, Stu

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mito; 02/03/19 8:48 am.

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Weldless Crank End Feed Conversion [Re: NickL] #764357 02/03/19 8:52 am
M
Mito Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Cheers Nick, yep...I considered the oil pump stud route but felt I could not get the gallery size up where I wanted it. Bearing is retained by a small lip on the inner part of the housing as I did not machine right through. Might have a play with the oil stud route on old set of cases in my retirement as Im not planning on another A65 anytime soon. Too many Triumphs to restore!!!!!!

Last edited by Mito; 02/03/19 8:54 am.

70 Rob North Rocket 3
71 T150
71 A65 Firebird
03 Buell Lightning
08 Buell Ulysses
1974 Honda SL 125
75 Honda XL 350
84 Ducati 600 TTF2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership