BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
headlamp
headlamp
the south
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Argos parts, Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider
10862 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 167
DavidP 69
reverb 61
NickL 53
Popular Topics(Views)
1,019,344 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,800
Posts680,417
Members10,862
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
45 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 433 guests, and 864 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bsa on television. #764310 02/02/19 10:03 pm
R
resingled Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
If any of you in the U. K. was unfortunate enough to sit through the television programme "Grantchester" on Friday evening you would have been rewarded by the sight of a rigid framed, tele forked sporty BSA single. M24 comes to mind but that is a wild guess. Others will know better. Unfortunately, we only saw it being pushed. If in a future episode we see it being ridden, I hope they get things right. Sometimes in the past shown on television is a four stroke single being ridden past the camera and on the soundtrack it is a Honda four or a two stroke twin. We shall see.
Regards. Dave.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Bsa on television. [Re: resingled] #764311 02/02/19 10:09 pm
triton thrasher Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
He rode it in the previous episode.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: Bsa on television. [Re: resingled] #764358 02/03/19 9:05 am
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Originally Posted by resingled
If any of you in the U. K. was unfortunate enough to sit through the television programme "Grantchester" on Friday evening you would have been rewarded by the sight of a rigid framed, tele forked sporty BSA single. M24 comes to mind but that is a wild guess. Others will know better. Unfortunately, we only saw it being pushed. If in a future episode we see it being ridden, I hope they get things right. Sometimes in the past shown on television is a four stroke single being ridden past the camera and on the soundtrack it is a Honda four or a two stroke twin. We shall see.
Regards. Dave.

When we had the courier business we had quite a few production companies on our booke because we would allow them to set up a new account for each production wich made their book work really easy.
As such I have made hundreds of deliveries to various film sets and it never failed to amuse me how many would be playing a soundtrack for a totally different motorcycle while they winched the bike through the scene.
The other amazing thing is how many times they got actors who could not ride motorcycles to play parts requiring riding one.
Considering the massive amout of research that goes into finding authentic period clothing one wonders how they could allow such bloopers with the motorcycles to happen.

I did have one non-motorcyclist director say they had to use Harley sound track so non motoecycle riders would identify it as a motorcycle.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Bsa on television. [Re: resingled] #764373 02/03/19 2:48 pm
R
resingled Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Didn't see the previous episode. Never mind. I'll survive. Yep. It's always surprised me how a bke and soundtrack haven't matched. Incidentally, did it sound correct when it was being ridden in that first episode?

Re: Bsa on television. [Re: resingled] #782086 08/21/19 12:40 am
M
Mebbo Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
M
Just ran across this post. The motorcycle looks like a '50-'52 ZB Gold Star. Motor, tank, exhaust, most of the stuff looks kosher. Has a "custom" dual seat, I think the plunger model ( it's not a rigid frame) only came with a sprung single seat and optional bum pad. Has twin clocks but on the only timing side pictures I could find, there doesn't appear to be any tacho drive on the timing cover and no apparent tacho cable.

Never seen the show so I don't know what soundtrack the bike has. The actor said he'd never ridden a motorcycle before and found it "petrifying". He said "you can fall off them and get hurt....

Mebbo

Re: Bsa on television. [Re: resingled] #782111 08/21/19 6:49 am
W
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
W
the actors seem to cleverly block most of the views of the bike when it's not going and details are hard to see. My first clue besides the sound was the seat with the handrail at the back which doesn't fit the alleged time period.....Every once in a while we do see a "correct" representation. " Heartbeat " comes to mind. But there aren't many...…At least, in Easy Rider, it was refreshing to read that the actors found that riding those bikes was the biggest challenge in making the film.

Keep hoping, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Re: Bsa on television. [Re: Wilfred] #782456 08/24/19 3:44 pm
S
Shane in Oz Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by Wilfred
At least, in Easy Rider, it was refreshing to read that the actors found that riding those bikes was the biggest challenge in making the film.
Hell, I've been riding since 1975 and would have had trouble riding those bloody things.
It doesn't look like they rode them at over 20 mph either, the way the front forks wander around in a lot of the scenes smile

To get back somewhat on-thread, girder-forked rigid-framed pre-War BSAs are simply spiffing, old chap

Re: Bsa on television. [Re: resingled] #782458 08/24/19 3:58 pm
N
NYBSAGUY Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N

Spiffing is one word for it. Admittedly, my ZB34/M20 bitsa is 1949 (with a 43 frame), so not pre-war, but it handles like a grumpy mule.

I punctured the rear recently, and if I ever get it off (does ancient rubber gradually, by some mysterious chemical reaction, convert to concrete, or titanium?) I have new, fresh rubber to go on front and back. We'll see how it does then.

Spiffing, hmm...

1949 BSA ZB34 'Bitsa'
1959 BSA DBD34 Catalina
1973 Norton Commando 850 R
1974 Norton Commando 850 R (I know, one too many)
1975 Honda TL250 Trials, a new addition to the family
1998 Montesa Cota 315 HRC
2004 Ducati M1000ie
Re: Bsa on television. [Re: NYBSAGUY] #782459 08/24/19 4:24 pm
Magnetoman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
girder-forked rigid-framed pre-War BSAs are simply spiffing, old chap
I checked my dictionary to see how 'spiffing' translates from Australian into dialects of English spoken north of the Equator and it means 'excellent'. Given this, I can confirm that the handling of my girder-forked, rigid-framed 1928 Ariel is totally spiffing.

Originally Posted by NYBSAGUY
I have new, fresh rubber to go on front and back. We'll see how it does then.
All bets are off on the handling of a bike, any bike, with tires as worn and petrified as the ones you had on your BSA.

Re: Bsa on television. [Re: Magnetoman] #782467 08/24/19 6:36 pm
S
Shane in Oz Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
girder-forked rigid-framed pre-War BSAs are simply spiffing, old chap
I checked my dictionary to see how 'spiffing' translates from Australian into dialects of English spoken north of the Equator and it means 'excellent'. Given this, I can confirm that the handling of my girder-forked, rigid-framed 1928 Ariel is totally spiffing.
I say old chap. Didn't you jolly ex-colonials read 'Biggles' books as lads? I suppose you all imagined flying Mustangs or Flying Fortresses instead. Riding the 1937 M23 Empire Star, even just around the paddock, makes me feel like I should have a pencil mustache, flying jacket and flying helmet, and be on my way to scrambling in my Hurricane or Spitfire to meet Jerry over the ditch. I cn only imagine what an M24 Gold Star or overhead camshaft Velocette or Norton would be like by comparison.

The 1927 s.v. 350 feels absolutely pedestrian by comparison.

Re: Bsa on television. [Re: Shane in Oz] #782476 08/24/19 8:53 pm
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Q
Grantchester

Watch it all the time .
Not for its Excellence
but because it's better than 90% of the other offerings.

Did you see the episode where he starts the bike without kick-starting ?
God works in mysterious ways .

The priest and another guy are talking and walking towards bike
Bike shown... Priest gets on bike ... vroom motorcycle sound added ... and he pulls any .

Re: Bsa on television. [Re: resingled] #782512 08/25/19 6:30 am
W
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
W
I saw that and it almost got me to turn it off. Who governs these things that so many viewers might pick up on. Not that it's a new thing but still somewhat annoying.

"It's about the ride..."

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership