BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
dogge
dogge
sweden
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
BMac, clive1, Dan87GT, B. Nicholson, AndrewQ
10941 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kommando 102
franko 83
DavidP 65
Popular Topics(Views)
1,067,498 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,273
Posts685,014
Members10,941
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
9 registered members (BrizzoBrit), 125 guests, and 195 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ignition timing? #764298 02/02/19 8:51 pm
D
Dave Martin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Ok, "finished" the rebuild. 1968 ish B44. new valves, guides, rebore (so new piston and rings) whole load of head problems (previous posts) but now well sorted.
New Wassell ignition plus Podtronics reg. New AMAL carb. Ignition set up to the marks, which I have checked (9/32" BTDC as per Rupert Ratio). I kick and I kick ( tickle the carb, bring it up to TDC, ease it over with the deco ever, then kick like hell) but all I get is a "chuff" back through the carb. I stripped it back down to check valve timing marks, perfect, noticed one of the cam followers was wrong way round (Ah, ha THATS the problem) put it all back together...……. Kick, chuff , kick chuff. no darn different. It sparks real well, I put an electric drill on the crank shaft nut and spun the engine over (plug out), lots of sparks, so figured to put a strobe on it while doing that to find out WHEN it is sparking, BUT the only strobes available are " not suitable for motorcycles or vehicles with positive earth", so that would be me then. Does ANYONE have any ideas??

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764300 02/02/19 9:05 pm
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Every strobe I have bought has worked on both types of earth.

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764301 02/02/19 9:06 pm
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
You can statically check timing by replacing the coil with a 12 volt (6?) lamp. Very obvious when the points open.
My strobe has a clamp for the plug wire and battery terminals. Ground polarity does not matter.

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764302 02/02/19 9:37 pm
D
Dave Martin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
I hesitated to buy the strobe as that is what it specifically said on the box! would use a bulb to "check points open", unfortunately no points!

Re: ignition timing? [Re: DMadigan] #764306 02/02/19 9:51 pm
S
Shane in Oz Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
"Near enough" ignition timing will normally be enough to get a bike running if everything else is right, then the timing can be set with the timing light.

BSA singles can be an acquired art to start, especially if they don't have a choke.
Have you tried pouring a small amount of fuel down the spark plug hole?
Does the spark plug look wet or dry after the start attempt?
What's the compression reading?
Are you opening the throttle when kicking?

My B44 starts cold quite readily with the throttle closed, but quite often floods when it's hot. If it doesn't show any sign of life in about 4 kicks, I give it full throttle which normally does the trick. Yours will probably be different, but that might happen to work.

People tend to discount the use of a Colortune because they can't be used at larger throttle openings, but they're extremely useful for this sort of situation. You can see what's happening in the combustion chamber (spark, flame colour, lack of flame, etc)

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764309 02/02/19 9:59 pm
D
Dave Martin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
compression 120psi, valve gaps set correctly. plug looks wet. throttle closed. I agree on the "near enough" idea but how the heck do I get it "near enough" statically with electronic ignition??? I have no clue as to when it is actually firing as opposed to when it should be firing!

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764313 02/02/19 10:46 pm
S
Shane in Oz Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
That is rather a limitation of electronic ignitions. The instructions should specify the initial "near enough" static setting, but that doesn't help if there's a manufacturing problem.
I'm not even slightly familia with the Wassell units, but as a rule the trigger point is when the rotor magnet passes under the stator coil. You could set it slightly advanced from that and then fiddle around advancing / retarding until it shows some sign of life.

Your electric drill / timing light approach would be easier. You should be able to run yours off an external battery. They don't really care *where* they get power from, it's just to power the strobe light which is triggered by the high tension pulse to the spark plug,

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764314 02/02/19 10:56 pm
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Hook the lite to a battery not attached to the bike, it's just a power source for the light. the clamp on the sparkler lead triggers the lite. it sounds like the timing is off. but you have verified the pinion gear marks are lined up, so not sure. Make sure the push rods are in the right tappet. inne is outee intake is in the outboard tappet

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764316 02/02/19 11:49 pm
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Q
Wassel / Vape ignition .

A simple check is to change/ reverse the polarity
From the timing stator to the transistor box .
... if it's backwards ... the instruction sheet says
Timing will be retarded .

Last edited by quinten; 02/02/19 11:49 pm.
Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764323 02/03/19 12:48 am
L
LarryLebel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
About all I can offer is encouragement. I've had Wassell EI in my B44R for a few years now and I'm very happy with it. My bike is a one kick starter (with tickling) when cold and one when hot. I didn't have any installation issues that I recall. It fired right up and I adjusted the timing with my strobe light.

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764324 02/03/19 1:25 am
D
Dave Martin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Hmmm, just read the wassell instructions again again again, and noticed " The coil current should drop to zero after 2 seconds without triggering". Measuring with my multimeter all I am getting is 0.4mv across the coil???? any electricians out there ???

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764335 02/03/19 2:33 am
D
Dave Martin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
do you mean rotate the motor BACKWARDS? surely that would give the "fully advanced" timing mark? If so, I have already done that but with a micrometer.

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764337 02/03/19 2:47 am
Q
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Q
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
do you mean rotate the motor BACKWARDS? surely that would give the "fully advanced" timing mark? If so, I have already done that but with a micrometer.

No .
The transistor boxes timing is responding to the rotational Direction
of the camshaft or the idler pulley
That the little magnetic rotor is attached to .
As the kit is somewhat Universal
Some installation expertise is expected .
It's not that you haven't obeyed the instructions ... but we as non-participants
In the installation ... have to ask all the silly and basic questions

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764344 02/03/19 3:47 am
Mark Z Online Sleepy
BritBike Forum member
Online Sleepy
BritBike Forum member
Is "near enough" accomplished with a Wassell as with a Boyer or Pazon, i.e., position the crank to the full advance point and line up the hole in the stator plate with the white dot on the magnet rotor?

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764345 02/03/19 3:51 am
D
Dave Martin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
yeah, got you about the backlash. I rotated the crank back a good way from TDC then forwards again till I got to the 8mm before TDC. Both crank and cam "shaft" are counter clockwise rotation. I am happy to have "all the silly and basic questions" asked as I feel that I have done something silly and basic! NickL …. I get what you say about the few millivolts but what I was saying was, that is ALL I am getting, even when I first turn on. Then it begs the question as to why I get any spark at all, so you are probably right. must get a strobe on it to find out what is happening.

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764407 02/03/19 6:57 pm
D
Dave Martin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Oh my giddy Aunt!!! It starts! first time, every time! I had a niggling memory of a youtube vid of an old guy (a good 5 years younger than me!) starting his B44 real easy. he mentioned that he had got his method from this forum. I found it! Kick up to compression, valve lift over, continue till you feel the exhaust valve springs, re cock the kicker and kick! viola it starts! EVERY DARN TIME! Thank you every one for all your help and suggestion, as I said earlier in this thread "I was probably doing something silly and stupid". will still put the strobe on it to check timing, but hey, the relief!

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764412 02/03/19 7:33 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I’ve found it’s all about the leg with these singles. I don’t like using the decompressor though, I take it up to compression, then rest my foot on the lever (not push) the crank will edge over compression then when it starts to feel free’r. Repostion the kick start lever and a strong but steady kick. These don’t like to be kicked like a 2 stroke, it’ll never start like that.

beerchug
Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764420 02/03/19 8:21 pm
D
Dave Martin Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Two stroke?, two stroke!!?? I am surprised that you have not been expelled for even thinking those words let alone mentioning them on this forum!! one of my sons once bought one of them, it was several years till we spoke again. …… I must admit, I was unhappy with the way it "felt" when kicking but it has literally been over 40 years since I owned a British single and memories and techniques fade.....thankfully, as the last one was an old (even then) ES2 and it scared the willys out of me starting that beast! Since then it has been a long catalogue of machines from the orient, some even with electric start! This project was a "gift" from afore mentioned son by way of penance. Looks quite nice, made it into a kinda replica of an Enduro, fear not purists, frame and engine numbers do not match, it was a Bitsa long before I got it. Now the NEXT one ………… (don't tell the wife!)

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764486 02/04/19 2:44 pm
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Tip you may or not know. First start attempt after bike has sat. engage 1st gear hold clutch lever to grip and rock the bike back and forth till you feel the stuck clutch plates break loose. Makes it easier to start, also use Ford ATF the old [***] or primary oil for a big twin HD the old [***] also in the primary chain case.
Glad you got it running it is a big fun bike. I have a 69 B-44VS since the early 80's. Podtronics reg/rect, gel electrolyte battery( takes vibration better) Boyer Ign., Kuni 30mm roundslide. Make sure the battery you have is fully charged before trying to start, if its kicks back cause of low voltage it can wipe out the kickstart shaft/gear.

Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764490 02/04/19 4:30 pm
A
Andy Higham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
Two stroke?, two stroke!!?? I am surprised that you have not been expelled for even thinking those words let alone mentioning them on this forum!! one of my sons once bought one of them, it was several years till we spoke again. …… I must admit, I was unhappy with the way it "felt" when kicking but it has literally been over 40 years since I owned a British single and memories and techniques fade.....thankfully, as the last one was an old (even then) ES2 and it scared the willys out of me starting that beast! Since then it has been a long catalogue of machines from the orient, some even with electric start! This project was a "gift" from afore mentioned son by way of penance. Looks quite nice, made it into a kinda replica of an Enduro, fear not purists, frame and engine numbers do not match, it was a Bitsa long before I got it. Now the NEXT one ………… (don't tell the wife!)

OI !!
I love my 2 stroke Greeves. 38BHP @ 11,500RPM and weighs half of fukc all

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764552 02/05/19 2:35 am
Mark Z Online Sleepy
BritBike Forum member
Online Sleepy
BritBike Forum member
Two stroke?, two stroke!!?? I am surprised that you have not been expelled for even thinking those words let alone mentioning them on this forum!!

I'm not a fan of two stroke engines either, but let's not forget that BSA earned its reputation as "The Most Popular Motorcycle in the World" largely on the success of the Bantam. So we must at least tolerate if not respect "two-smokers" on this forum.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: ignition timing? [Re: Dave Martin] #764614 02/05/19 11:05 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Two stroke?, two stroke!!?? I am surprised that you have not been expelled for even thinking those words let alone mentioning them on this forum!!

Bit difficult really to be expelled on this forum, however the 2 stroke bantam was the most popular selling model group BSA built, probably because of its model run period as opposed to volume per year sold... maybe that’s why the factory thought it a great idea to produce the Ariel 3...

beerchug

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO