BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Jamie-69TR6R
Jamie-69TR6R
Beachwood, New Jersey
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering
10861 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 168
DavidP 68
reverb 64
NickL 58
Popular Topics(Views)
1,015,018 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,782
Posts680,259
Members10,861
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
74 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 521 guests, and 888 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tool kit #763278 01/23/19 1:14 pm
R
rocketgoldie Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Hi can anyone help i am trying to put together a tool kit for my 1962 Ducati Elite .

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #763626 01/26/19 8:34 pm
Al Eckstadt Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Well, no replies, probably very few Italian bike owners and fewer with a specific year/model. BUT, I do at least have a suggestion. Some of the Yahoo groups have a good following and they post a lot of files including parts books, service manuals and such. And you can ask the group if they have such knowledge. Give them a try. Go to "groups.yahoo.com" and search for "Ducati singles". Hope it works for you.
Regards
Al

Al Eckstadt
Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #763628 01/26/19 9:00 pm
Peter R Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I do have an Italian bike, although not a Ducati, so I unfortunately can not offer much help here.
At the risk of teling you something you may be already aware of : check out the website www.bevelheaven, they stock several special tools for Ducati singles.
Also www.stein-dinse in Germany stocks special tools for Ducati singles.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Peter R; 01/26/19 9:13 pm.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #763630 01/26/19 9:03 pm
kurt fischer Offline
#irideslow
#irideslow
... and maybe try the vintage section of ducati.ms

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/14-vintage/

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #763636 01/27/19 12:04 am
L
linker48x Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
I have a bevel SS twin and Mark 3 single, and have put lots of miles on them, especially my twin. For my twin to replace the original useless OEM tool kit I bought an air cooled BMW tool kit, one of the best carry along sets, very complete and reasonable quality.

Not sure what you mean by tool kit. Something to carry along on rides? If so, you can accumulate your own if you go over the bike to locate all the wrench sizes including front and rear axles and allens, phillips and slot head screwdrivers, pliers, valve adjusters, carburetor jets, spoke wrench, and buy good quality wrenches, and a chain tool and spare master link and inner link. There isn’t enough room to stow a complete tool kit set on a single so you will have to carry it in a fanny pack or day pack or add a stash pack to the bike somewhere.

If you mean shop tools, same process but will also include ratchets, sockets, and two of every end wrench. That help? If not, try the various Ducati single websites. Some are hard to find. The vintage section of the Ducati ms forums tends to favor the 70’s and early 80’s bevel twins

Last edited by linker48x; 01/27/19 3:22 am.
Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #763646 01/27/19 7:38 am
G
Ginge Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Regardless of what you ride, your tool kit depends on how far and where you ride.

If you tour, then anything minor that is fixable on the road needs to be in the tool kit. You don't need to be packing for major issues because you are likely to be near civilisation. The credit card and cell phone will cover most problems. If too far away from help then you have a tent and sleeping gear etc. Just wait for the next vehicle.

If you ride adventure bikes and ride off the beaten track, you need tools that will get you home again, or at least closer to the beaten track. Tyre repair stuff, zip ties, wire and fuses, and anything that will get you home.

If you ride weekend classic rides with a few likely friends then there'll be a back up vehicle or others with tools. Just take the basics and anything bike specific.

I ride my '51 BSA with a screwdriver or two, a whitworth combination spanner or two, some electrical tape, wire and fuses and zip ties. If that doesn't fix it then I use the credit card and cell phone.

I adventure tour on my '70 Triumph with a whole heap more, including tyre changing gear/ puncture repair kit, a very large adjustable spanner, spare plugs and leads, muesli bars, water plus my camping gear.

Horses for courses.

I have a couple of lists stapled to the inside of the "bike gear" cupboard door to prompt me when I pack.

'51 C11 in a '54 C10L frame..."The Bantam Eater"
'70 Triumph Trophy 500. Bottom end rumble awaiting diagnosis
'72 Triumph Tiger 650. Back on the road...
Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #763674 01/27/19 4:01 pm
kevin roberts Online Confused
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
you know, i have a technique that i use to make up tool kits that i use for my race bike.

everytime i use a singular tool for something, i paint it blue. the wrench for the rear axle, is painted blue. the special 19/32-inch wrench for the petcock gland nuts is painted blue. the half-dozen essential allen keys for the carbs, cases, handlebars, and ignition-- all blue. gear pullers and special bolts, chain breakers, pipe wrench, mole wrench, specialty screwdrivers, all blue.

when i put the tool box together for a trip, i put in the no-brainer tools--wrenches, sockets, and so on, and then go through the drawers and pick out all the blue tools and put them in as well. i don't forget anything that way.

if you're setting up a toolkit to carry on the bike, just make a list of every task you are willing to perform on the side of the road, and carry the correct tools to do it. i commuted on my 72 T120 for many years, and the tank bag always held just enough tools to get me home.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #763686 01/27/19 5:24 pm
R
rocketgoldie Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Hi and thanks for all your help.

Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #763831 01/29/19 3:14 am
L
linker48x Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L

Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #764152 02/01/19 12:43 am
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
PM Sent

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA
Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #764252 02/02/19 6:14 am
tridentt150v Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
And I thought all Ducati owners only carried a toothbrush, mobile/cell phone, and a credit card...its about all you can carry isn't it smile

Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #764255 02/02/19 8:12 am
W
Wilfred Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
W
something like Kevin

In my tool chest, I have a drawer that is just for " Triumph tools " and the wrenches are taped and marked what they are for. If going for a long ride, I select the tools that I think I might need on such a trip and, to date, I have never needed them. As soon as I don't take them in the tank bag, I'll get a break down...….I also carry a spare set of points, a condenser, a spare coil and cables, a spare tube, irons and a pump ( both Triumphs have only 18 inch wheels ) among other bits and the same applies.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Re: Tool kit [Re: rocketgoldie] #764280 02/02/19 5:06 pm
R
Rusty Goose Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
FWIW I carry quite a few tools in the kits of each of my bikes. Mostly just what would be needed to get the bike home. (knock on wood) The tools are mostly, if not entirely, used on the bikes of the people I ride with. When I had a Ural/sidecar outfit I carried a fuel can onboard. It came in very handy when stopping to help out other "bikers" with peanut tanks!

1967 A65 Lightning
1967 Moto Guzzi V7
1969 B44 Victor Special
1966? Royal Enfield Interceptor
Re: Tool kit [Re: RF Whatley] #764285 02/02/19 6:21 pm
N
norton bob Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
N
I regularly ride my 250 M3 for 10 long days in the IOM and do a days thrash at the Jurby track. I carry a few tools in the small boxes. Problems are usually ,sooty plug, closed up points or a broken wire connection, An allen key,a screwdriver, plug and spanner,small adjustable for the carb. I keep meaning to find a spare cable nipple .

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership