BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Ron T. in KY
Ron T. in KY
Northern KY
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
John finn, West55, Erik M., bunkhouse, dsc5
10980 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 70
DavidP 67
NickL 66
Popular Topics(Views)
1,112,526 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,578
Posts688,021
Members10,980
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
71 registered members (68Newbie), 2,427 guests, and 790 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
What is young? #762953 01/19/19 3:20 pm
Richrd Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I was just posting another thread and got wondering, is everyone here of the same " age group".

As long as i dont look at the dare on my drivers license i still feel the same as i did back when. But the youngest person i can remember meeting at bb.c was young Alex and Alec.

And one of them is not a poster.

Anyone else here born before cell phpnes and polical correctness ruined the world ?

Rich (last remaining member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762957 01/19/19 4:22 pm
MikeG Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I think just about everyone here was born before cell phones and political correctness. Perhaps a better gauge would be who was was born when rotary dial phones and real, honest journalism were around. And except for my knee I still feel as young as I ever did too.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762960 01/19/19 4:51 pm
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
1957 model.

'Young" is a relative term.

My Dad live to his early 80s, I expect to do the same. So, I still have 20+ years to go.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762961 01/19/19 4:55 pm
M
Mark. L Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
M
1957 here also, so far so good, it was a great time to grow up in,

Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762968 01/19/19 6:38 pm
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
i was born in 1946.
We played outdoors, fell out of trees, played on the railroad right-of-way next to the house, fell into the river on the other side of the railroad tracks, skated and rode bikes on that river's ice in the winter, camped out, had many adventures, got a lot of scars.
And all of that was BEFORE I ever got on a motorcycle!

I'm proud of every one of my scars, as they are proof that I led an active life. "Scars are just tatoos with better stories."

I feel sorry for today's media-obsessed "cream puff" kids, who have little real-life experience to add first-hand knowledge for their future use. Their electronic device does all the " thinking" for them (if you can call it "thinking").

WHO will be tomorrow's inventors and mechanical engineers if this continues?

Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762971 01/19/19 7:04 pm
Alan_nc Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Except when I look in the mirror I'm between 18 and 21. Like Swede I've got scars to prove I'm not but I've had a lot of fun getting here.

Who will carry the torch.....don't know.....when I look at my grandkids they are bright, energetic, interested in learning new things.

What did your parents say about you and your Rock-n-Roll

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762974 01/19/19 7:39 pm
H
henryanthony Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
H
1951 for me and pretty much what Mr. Swede reported. In the summer, me and my buddy would ride out on our bicycles in the morning to 80 acres of vacant land with lots of trails, streams and ponds and stay out goofing around until dinner time. Our parents never where we were all day.

Walked to and from school. Learned by reading from books. Did not get started with computers until I was in my 30's. Learned how to use them by reading books. Plenty of scars and broken bones. When I was 3, I rode my tricycle down the basement stairs. cool

Around age 14 started saving money from paper routes and after school jobs to buy a Bonnieville. After 3 years of constantly pestering my parents they finally relented and granted permission to buy it. College, wife, two kids and three houses later, firing up the Bonnie is as exciting to me today as when I was 17.

Although there are lots of kids in my neighborhood, you hardly ever see them. Sometimes I see these two guys on their bikes and they are both texting on their cell phones. Saw a kid walk into a stop sign while texting.

Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762975 01/19/19 7:44 pm
R
raf940 Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R
Monday Jan 21 is my birthday I will be 67 but I don't believe it......having a very very hard time understanding what 'old' is.....that term does not include me I reckon but obits come across my desk every week at the newspaper I am editor of and a lot of folks don't make it to 70...better be happy and keep drama to a minimum and have some fun and drink some good ale/wine whilst you can

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
Re: What is young? [Re: Irish Swede] #762976 01/19/19 7:46 pm
MikeG Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
[quote=Irish Swede
[/quote]

My nephew went to school for industrial design. He builds some pretty amazing things on his bank of 3D printers. Stuff that, were you to make it from billet material, would take far more machining and steps than it takes him, even if you used the most modern CNC machines. Basically if he can think it up, he can do a CAD program on it and build it without ever leaving his chair. Probably a lot more efficient than the old ways but certainly no where near as exciting to old farts such as ourselves. Time moves on, but every once in a while I like to think what would happen if everything digital stopped working and we had to go back to manual machining, doing algebra geometry and trigonometry in our heads and making drawings on paper. eek

Last edited by MikeG; 01/19/19 7:49 pm.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762977 01/19/19 7:58 pm
J
Joe Bruney Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
I'm 66 today and am here to say that ain't old at all' I grew up barefoot running shirtless mostly in the summer & swimming in ponds, climbing trees, bicycles, & of course playing with friends doing all the things the 50's & 60's had to offer. There wasn't much time for TV because we were always busy doing things to entertain ourselves & learning how to interact.

Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762981 01/19/19 8:14 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Same as most of you guys, I reckon.

"Old" is like "rich". When you hear folks talking about "Rich People", what they really mean is anyone who has more money than they do, and generally they want to find a way to take their money from them and use it themselves. Other than that nasty jealousy, there'd be no reason to worry about "The Rich" and whether anyone else has more money than you do. Who cares?

"Old People", then, are people that are older than me. Once upon a time, 40 was old. Then 50. Then 60, that was REALLY old. Now that 60 is disappearing quickly into the rear-view mirror, I take heart in the active, wide-open 70 and 80 year-old people that I know and I try to figure out how they do it. No reason to be jealous of the "young" - we had our shot at it, and made the best of it while we had it. Hopefully no regrets.

As far as noticing the set of useless, smart-phone-leashed, soy-boy snowflakes that we see (mostly in the news but sometimes around us) running around bemoaning their toxic masculinity, I can't do anything about those. I DID raise two boys that are nothing like that, and they're raising more that are nothing like that, and that's all I can do .... !

Lannis

"It needs but one foe to breed a war, not two, Master Warden, and those who have not swords can still die upon them."
Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762985 01/19/19 8:47 pm
Jon W. Whitley Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I was born October 21, 1968 which makes me 50 as of the last couple of months. I was 32 when I joined BritBike.com....it really doesn't seem that long ago !

Attached Files IMG_20190119_161359941.jpg

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

Re: What is young? [Re: Irish Swede] #762987 01/19/19 9:31 pm
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
i was born in 1946.
We played outdoors, fell out of trees, played on the railroad right-of-way next to the house, fell into the river on the other side of the railroad tracks, skated and rode bikes on that river's ice in the winter, camped out, had many adventures, got a lot of scars.
And all of that was BEFORE I ever got on a motorcycle!

I'm proud of every one of my scars, as they are proof that I led an active life. "Scars are just tatoos with better stories."

I feel sorry for today's media-obsessed "cream puff" kids, who have little real-life experience to add first-hand knowledge for their future use. Their electronic device does all the " thinking" for them (if you can call it "thinking").

It will be the Aspie kids who can do all the tech things, and be the daredevils simultaneously. Funny, a movie I recently saw portrayed Aspies as the next step in human evolution. I never thought of that.

I suppose you could say that mostly its the physical limitations that make you old. I'm determined to go out while still having the ability to kick the [***] out of a Norton Commando. So far, so good.

However, a neighbor I had showed me what it is like to lose your mind to dementia. But having an IQ of approximately 80 or less, that trip will be a short one to babbling idiocy.

Cheers,
68yoBill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762990 01/19/19 10:09 pm
J
Joe Bruney Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
Back, neck, & other joints not doing too well, but they do move reluctantly....Known some that the mind faded so I know I have no complaints since my woes are just physical. God save me from losing my faculties......A man loses them how in the hell can he appreciate a Norton or nice skirt.

Last edited by Joe Bruney; 01/19/19 10:10 pm.

Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #762991 01/19/19 10:23 pm
C
Class Clown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Born in November of 1943; can remember getting the operator to put the local call through and "party lines", remember getting our first rotary dial phone, black and white only t.v. and the "test patterns" on them when they went off the air for the night. But, as the old saying goes: "Every time I get on my motorcycle, I'm 25 years old!! Jim

Last edited by Class Clown; 01/20/19 3:04 am.
Re: What is young? [Re: HawaiianTiger] #762995 01/20/19 12:11 am
F
franko Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
F
Lannis: I grew up in Milwaukee. First on 39th and ST Paul, then when I was 7, up to 38th and Vliet.
The blocks then were laid out with everyone living in Milwaukee in mind.
Each block had single family homes with extra land(half of the standard 40x100 lot added as extra), Single family homes, upper/lower duplexes, 4 place apartment buildings and some times 8 family ones.
All blocks had allies. Some straight, others a T shape, some H and one a Pentagon shape with 5 exits out of the inner part of the block.
Shops on the main streets had the business on the lower half and the owners home above.
Being as a kid, we didn't see the have and have nots. Everyone used the same stores and went to the same restaurants and small scale department stores, (mostly along North ave.)
The Park Hardware store on Vliet st. being my favorite. They sharpened ice skates, shipping boxes for the window glass were given to the kids in the neighborhood. Being broken down into the 2x4s and luan, it was the material of many forts and other products of youthful imagination.
The work was nearby
. Both management and workers lived in the same neighborhood. By this I mean that multiple companies were located within and had employees and management living the same neighborhood.
The old people would walk in the park and feed the ducks on the lagoon, sometimes falling asleep on the park benches or sitting on their porches and asking one of us kids to go to the corner store to buy Half and Half for them. After the first time coming back with dairy, a note was sent along saying it was for the tobacco half and half.
The old people talked to us in the park, from their porches, in the tavern/restaurant, as crossing guards and just all over.
Kids didn't know rich, not then anyway, we all played with each other. Well I guess age being the only divider, but not so much.
Ya know, I guess I did have a good childhood.
Dang, one less thing to grumble about as I get older.

Last edited by franko; 01/20/19 12:30 am.
Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #763001 01/20/19 12:48 am
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I
Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, guys. We who are in this hobby aren't much different from each other.
Something about bikes has brought out the adventurous spirit in us.

Jon Whitley, I am surprised that you are that young, age 50.
By your knowledge of old bikes, I always assumed you to be an old goat, like me.

Re: What is young? [Re: NickL] #763006 01/20/19 1:55 am
H
henryanthony Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
H
Originally Posted by NickL
In the words of Woody Allen..... Getting old sucks!

Yeah it does but everyone has to deal with it. And I can tell you, it has not been easy to deal with it. Still having fun but the rate of loss of best friends and relatives is accelerating. That sucks.

Re: What is young? [Re: franko] #763010 01/20/19 2:20 am
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by franko
Lannis: I grew up in Milwaukee. .....

Ya know, I guess I did have a good childhood.
Dang, one less thing to grumble about as I get older.

I remember my childhood fondly too. Lived out in the country, 10 miles from the post office, a mile from the nearest neighbor.

Had one black-and-white TV, one car, one party-line telephone. Rode our bikes to see the kids on the next farm, have corn-cob battles, go sled-riding, playing Army, flying model airplanes, hunting rabbits, ride our bicycles to the store 5 miles away to buy cigarettes for my dad. Raised and killed hogs, had laying hens. We cut our own wood and burned it in a wood stove.

Mom cooked breakfast and dinner every day, packed our lunch for school (a brown bag with a sandwich, a bag of chips, and cookies every day for 12 school years).

Today, someone living at that level of material things would on food stamps, and considered as living in poverty. We didn't know the difference. Got my first after-school job as a janitors helper in the high school (age 15-1/2) and didn't quit working for 45 years. Always enjoyed it.

I think the world would be a better place if kids still had a chance to grow up like that. One more thing to grumble about as I get older!

Lannis

"It needs but one foe to breed a war, not two, Master Warden, and those who have not swords can still die upon them."
Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #763012 01/20/19 2:46 am
Tasman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Born in '58 so I qualify. Nobody has mentioned that growing up back then meant that you were the TV remote, "turn it up will ya", "See what's on the other side". Channel surfing didn't take to long with only two TV channels!

"Live the life you love, find a god you trust and don't take it all too seriously"

Pre-units rule!

Mid fifties Triumph T100
Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #763016 01/20/19 5:48 am
R Moulding Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

I'm a 77 model. Born the day Elvis checked out before cell phones, personal computers, social media and societies almost universal decision to ban common sense.

My boy is a 2015 model, by emigrating to N/Z in 2009 I unwittingly wound up in a place were I can raise him in a place where the outdoors is on our door step but the big city is only 20 minutes away. Not a bad thing!

Rod

New, Genuine Lucas Motorcycle parts!

Insist on something else.
Re: What is young? [Re: R Moulding] #763018 01/20/19 7:23 am
Q
quinten Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Q
Originally Posted by Richrd
I was just posting another thread and got wondering, is everyone here of the same " age group".

As long as i dont look at the dare on my drivers license i still feel the same as i did back when. But the youngest person i can remember meeting at bb.c was young Alex and Alec.

And one of them is not a poster.

Anyone else here born before cell phpnes and polical correctness ruined the world ?

What is this political correctness ?
Other than an a thinly disguised insult for being reminded to be considerate .
When did consideration ... ruin the world .
Consideration is what your parents drilled into you , to be more grown up .
Empathetic rather than psychopathic
If you didn't get the message ... be happy ... you're still a child... its still all about you .
If you got the message ... but don't like it .. you're an adolescent ... it's still all about you ... but you're disappointed
I'm not sure about adulthood
because
I've never resided there long enough to form a shareable opinion .

Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #763022 01/20/19 8:44 am
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
*Old* is when it's pouring with rain outside, and you say...Think I won't go on that ride today after all.

OR

Its cold and damp in the fettling shed, and you've got a pile of fettling to do, but you simply throw another log on the fire and wrap a blanket around you, whilst sipping your hot coffee...

OR

There's a great camp going on, but you don't *Do* camping any more....

THAT'S what being 'OLD' is... crazy

Once again I'm reminded of that BSA lad I met at the International in New Zealand, it was his last ride on anything, as he had just retired. And wouldn't ride motorcycles or do anything like an international again. He was 52.... shocked

So lads, SOD being old sod the cold and wet, and LIVE a little. Aches and pains come and go, t'is all in the mind, so ENJOY... thumbsup

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: What is young? [Re: NickL] #763025 01/20/19 10:39 am
S
Shane in Oz Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by NickL
In the words of Woody Allen..... Getting old sucks!

It's a bloody sight better than the alternative.
I tried that in 1979, and didn't go much on it.

Re: What is young? [Re: Richrd] #763030 01/20/19 12:45 pm
68 royalstar tony Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
47 model and very glad I lived when I did. Just like the rest of you guys with scars and broken bones Ang stories.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership