BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
RGSDave
RGSDave
Kansas City
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
AndrewQ, Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis
10937 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 63
DavidP 61
quinten 58
Popular Topics(Views)
1,060,719 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,224
Posts684,587
Members10,937
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
54 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 505 guests, and 841 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Redditch Interceptor #762611 01/15/19 1:47 am
S
Sol Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Hello All! New to REs and wanting to know a direction. I have what I believe to be a Interceptor frame and swing arm and tank, forks ,triple tree, wheels with front and rear brake plates but no drive sprocket assembly. Was considering sourcing the other parts overtime and doing a restore. But I don't see the motor and trans come up on CL or eBay very often. And not even sure if its practical. But then I think none of my past restores have been practical. Soooooo. Seeing as the redditch REs seem to be more cloistered than all the other BritBikes. Are these parts sourcable in a reasonable time??? 2 years? 3 or more? Thanks in advance. Sol.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #762667 01/15/19 9:41 pm
Al Eckstadt Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Hi Sol. Welcome to the "club" of Interceptor owners. It's hard to assess your project without photos. Read the How To thread about posting images in the Hot Links Bulletin Board. Postimages.org is an easy to use website for Hosting images.
Besides this forum you should visit the Yahoo RE Interceptor Group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RE_Interceptor/conversations/messages/24018
And the Ozemate site - http://www.ozemate.com/interceptor/
Parts are available from Hitchcocks - http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/
Burton's - https://burtonbikebits.net/
and Baxter's in the US - https://www.baxtercycle.com/parts/
Make a list of parts you need using the parts lists on Hitchcock's site. Estimate the cost. Hitchcock's has many used parts and a phone call may even turn up a whole engine. Use the forums to locate the hard to find parts.
Weigh the options of building a "rider" or a complete restoration against the cost of parts. After visiting Hitchcock's site you may be surprised at what is available.
Post some photos and we can give more specific advise.
Good luck and looking forward to following your project.
Al - owner '67 1A Interceptor

Al Eckstadt
Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #762781 01/17/19 4:24 pm
C
Chris Overton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Sol, the serial number stamped into the headstock will tell what your frame is. Probably right down to date of dispatch from the factory, and destination dealer. Generally, the number will be on the left side (left, as you are seated on the motorcycle.) but there are exceptions. Just look for numbers STAMPED IN, any letters too, and ignore numbers cast in. Post the numbers or alpha-numeric here and we can tell what we know. If you prefer to go straight to the well for facts, go to royalenfields.com and look for the blurb on the right about contacting the Royal Enfield Owners Club chairman.

There were fewer than 200 700cc Interceptor built, and 4000 of the 750's.

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Chris Overton] #762829 01/18/19 1:13 am
S
Sol Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Having my doubts now of it being a interceptor. After doing some research and comparisons of other frames. The biggest con against the frame is no support bracket from the top horizontal tube to the down tube in the front. And the obvious fact that there are Only 3 stamped numbers in the headstock ( 679). Also the top of the triple tree is rather plain . The tank though has 2 peacocks and is chrome, with the remainder of a factory red panel in the center that someone removed all except the small portion that the seat obscured. The fenders are factory chrome,least I think so..The rear tail light is the later Lucas fitted to Triumphs and REs,with pointy protrusion in the center/ lower. I guess its possibly a distant past hodge podge bastard enfield parts. Or a Connie or Meteor. Regardless going to give it sometime and attention to parts sourcing. Maybe another enfield twin will come along to cannabalize here.Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance Sol

Last edited by Sol; 01/18/19 1:14 am.
Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #762860 01/18/19 3:51 pm
C
Chris Overton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Sorry to take so long. You have a 1968 Series 1A Interceptor, serial number 679. Congratulations! The engine in this bike was IA 679. The chrome "peanut" tanks like yours have always been in demand for custom bikes, so they are scarce. You have fenders, tail light, presumably the licence plate bracket and the sub-frame that joins the above and the seat. Your bike left the factory in Upper Westwood in April 1968, shipped to Cooper Motors in LA. Does the front wheel have a pair of perforated aluminum discs on the hub? They are non-functional but meant to replicate the cooling fins used on Isle of Man racers before drum brakes were replaced with disc.
There were about 1000 1-A's built, and motors come up from time to time. Any postwar Enfield twin motor will fit that frame, and most of the singles of 350cc and larger. Even the Bullet engines from India. Dunno about the new RE 650 twin engine......
What are your plans now?

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Chris Overton] #762888 01/18/19 8:17 pm
S
Sol Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
WOW! All that from 3 numbers. Thanks a lot Chris and Al also. Will probably work towards that goal of restoring it. No it does not have the perforated discs around the drums as I have seen in pics. And since my last post I've noticed that the 68,69,70 models had attached speedo and tach. Unlike early models where they were in a formed top triple tree for mounting them. The lack of a frame brace had me thinking it might be a Connie or Meteor. But I think it must have been removed like a lot of other parts. Will have to acquaint to the world of Enfields. Kinda Stoked now. Thanks again.

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #762944 01/19/19 1:15 pm
Al Eckstadt Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Nice work Chris! Sol, we love pictures!

Al Eckstadt
Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #762958 01/19/19 4:39 pm
C
Chris Overton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
The frame brace you mention was on the smaller Crusader series frames (unit 250 engine) and not on the twin frames. Note the top tube on your frame has a lug for the cylinder head steady, and the tabs for the battery back plate point forward, unlike models with a toolbox where the tabs point inwards. If there are tapped holes on the rim of the front hub, they are for the "bacon slicer" discs. If no holes, someone has traded front wheels.

See the online parts book on Hitchcock's website.

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Chris Overton] #763707 01/27/19 8:58 pm
S
Sol Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Hello again Chris. I do have one question. Are these bikes in 1968 CEI threaded fasteners?

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #763766 01/28/19 3:14 pm
C
Chris Overton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
The predominant thread form used in Royal Enfields is BSF, British Standard Fine. You will find BSW Whitworth, and Cycle threads on some of their parts, and BA British Association threads on Smith's instruments and Lucas components. The busiest tools in my shop are thread gauges (followed by magnifiers). To put a very fine point on Cycle threads, in 1939 CEI Cycle Engineers Threads were rationalized and became BSC, British Standard Cycle. Find a good summary of thread forms on the net and print it for your shop. I found such a list a few years ago but the link does not work now.

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #763803 01/28/19 9:36 pm
trevinoz Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Out of curiosity, when did Enfield change to BSF?
I have done a fair bit of work on older models, H,J, L, J, G, C, CO & J2.
The vast majority of the threads are 26 tpi, even the large diameter threads on the crankshaft.

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Chris Overton] #781508 08/15/19 3:25 am
S
Sol Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Hello again All ! In my researching for parts for my Interceptor, I've come across a home town opportunity that I would like to know of its compatibility. I was told me that any Enfield Twin would fit in my Interceptor frame. This assembly I have found is a Indian 700cc Twin. I think is the same as a Constellation engine?? Was wanting to know if the numbers could be verified and if so where? The person that is offering the engine ,trans,magneto,primary believes it to be from a "warrior". Also read somewhere that the cases of the Connies would crack from stress. Motor is free and has compression, { would probably rebuild it anyway }. and is intact with Two in to One manifold. One carb! Was this a configuration on a Interceptor?? Timing cover has a riveted Indian plate in center. Thought that this easily corrected for , with replacement cover. Any input is appreciated. Thanks again Sol.

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #781511 08/15/19 3:37 am
S
Sol Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Hello again All ! In my researching for parts for my Interceptor, I've come across a home town opportunity that I would like to know of its compatibility. I was told me that any Enfield Twin would fit in my Interceptor frame. This assembly I have found is a Indian 700cc Twin. I think is the same as a Constellation engine?? Was wanting to know if the numbers could be verified and if so where? The person that is offering the engine ,trans,magneto,primary believes it to be from a "warrior". Also read somewhere that the cases of the Connies would crack from stress. Motor is free and has compression, { would probably rebuild it anyway }. and is intact with Two in to One manifold. One carb! Was this a configuration on a Interceptor?? Timing cover has a riveted Indian plate in center. Thought that this easily corrected for , with replacement cover. Any input is appreciated. Thanks again Sol.

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #781578 08/15/19 10:12 pm
R
Rohan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
The folks here have a pretty good track record of id-ing bikes from numbers.
A pic or 2 helps immensely....

The owner really has his wires crossed if he thinks its a Warrior engine and it was made by Enfield. !!
The Warrior was made in Springfield, ~10 years earlier, and was 500cc.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Zh0x7WQ14PU/U6DsTkf54GI/AAAAAAAAhJQ/fREzE17-D_s/s1600/Indian_Warrior.jpg

Some would opine that the Indian badged Enfields are more collectable than their unbadged RE relatives, especially in the USA ?
I wish I could find one here....

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #781611 08/16/19 2:50 am
S
Sol Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
That info interests me, because if it is a 500cc. Dont think I'd be interested in it then for the money. On the side of the case where typical numbers are, there is a 7T 4320. On the front of the cases, there are more numbers that are in the same type of serial number layout. SM 2801, and below those a HDN. 255. Not the norm place for enfield stamping. If this is a 500. We'll have to retalk prices. Any direction for me to go will be appreciated.Is the numbering system the same for Indians as for Enfields???

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #781612 08/16/19 2:54 am
S
Sol Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Looking at your warrior link Rohan. The engine does not resemble that at all. No external push rod tubes. Resembles a Constellation engine , of that type.And thanks for that ....BTW. And the primary is on the left side, like other Brits.

Last edited by Sol; 08/16/19 2:57 am.
Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #781652 08/16/19 4:09 pm
B
Bigtwin Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Hi & welcome to the forum... Folks here will provide the best info regarding serial numbers. If I recollect correctly, a 7T would be an early 700 with SM indicating a Meteor(UK-Enfield) or a Trailblazer (US-Indian). Note: It is quite common (around here) to find Interceptors fitted with earlier motors and a miss match of parts... No doubt the restoration fans will comment on this, but another Enfield Twin on the road again can be quite fun!

REgards!

Bigtwin

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #781768 08/17/19 7:33 pm
oilyamerican Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The best thing to do is, get Mr. Graham Scarth the REOC dating officer involved with identifying those motor numbers.
He can probably access factory files to determine just what you have.
The question of a 500 verses a 700 might be answered by examining the shape and number of cylinder fins.
The 700's had fins that tapered from front to back and I believe there were 5 fins on the 700 cylinders.
Not sure about the profile of 500 fins, but I would think the cylinders would be noticeably shorter ?

Will work for Guinness smile
Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #781901 08/18/19 9:54 pm
R
Royaloilfields Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Hi,SM 2801 is a 1956 Trailblazer 700cc and HDN is the Gearbox number which matches 1956,and would be suitable for the Interceptor
frame,only downside is it would be softer in performance but some people would prefer that these days anyway.

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Royaloilfields] #781912 08/19/19 12:11 am
S
Sol Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Thanks for all that Bigtwin,Oily,And Royaloil . Really do appreciate that. Will probably get this assembly. If all goes well....next spring I will be recieving the original motor assembly from the bike. They got separated states apart long ago. But the PO assures me his son still has it. And that it is partially disassembled. With a seized piston. But if the cases aren't cracked........And the heads are good........He said he will retrieve it when he goes there on a road trip next spring. Fingers ,eyes and toes crossed. WooHoo!! But this 700 should support other parts that are missing.....I'm a thinking. Again Thanks. Sol

Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: Sol] #781970 08/19/19 8:48 pm
oilyamerican Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
What is it with motors separated from their frames and left sitting somewhere else ???
I have the same situation with a 1A Interceptor.
Bought a really nice rolling frame, pretty much complete except for no motor.
I was told an old guy had the matching motor in his barn but wasn't willing to sell it at the time.
He was given my contact info in case he changed his mind.
Last I heard, the old guy disappeared and the property was cleaned out.
Lord only knows where that motor got to.....that really sucks to think it wound up in a scrapyard.

Will work for Guinness smile
Re: Redditch Interceptor [Re: oilyamerican] #782006 08/20/19 3:39 am
S
Sol Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Well I guess it has to do with individual plans. Like in the case of this 700 that I'll be buying. Seller had a notion to make a rigid chopper with the motor. But life gets in the way. Good luck for me. I hope the O.E. engine is salvageable. At the very least the heads rebuildable and the cylinders in decent shape. Original matching numbers would be GREAT! It does make ya wonder though how projects can get so discombobulated from the first plans!.

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO