BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
DPO
DPO
Douglasville (Atlanta) Georgia
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
B Mac, Lenz-a-lot, UncleYeti, harold2019, SGTSnacks
10773 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 130
NickL 62
MarcB 52
Popular Topics(Views)
943,091 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,487
Posts675,544
Members10,773
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
71 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 470 guests, and 836 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Knee replacment? #758517 12/07/18 9:34 pm
MikeG Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I've been putting it off for a while now but the pain in my right knee from a Sportster induced injury years ago has gotten to the point where I need to have it fixed. Just wondering about real world limitations and recovery from knee replacement surgery. Can you still kick start a low compression Brit twin? Have to plan extra careful when you stop as to which foot you put down?

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #758525 12/07/18 9:56 pm
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
E
I have similar issues. No meniscus left in either knee. Can't run or jump, and I am wobbly going up or down stairs. If my bike doesn't start in a couple of kicks, I pay for it for the rest of the week. My doctor told me a few years ago to start planning on a few new ones. Of course if I lost a hundred pounds it would probably help too.
I have friends who say their new knees are the best thing ever. None of them kick start bikes though. I have other friends that used to kick start bikes who can't now as a result of the operation.
There is an operation that they do overseas that is just starting to be used over here. They go inside your knee arthroscopically with some kind of fancy medical laser measuring device. It transmits the interior measurements to a 3D printer, which prints out a synthetic meniscus, which they then pop in. I want to try that before I take the unreversible step of having my bone knees replaced with metal ones.

Ed from NJ

Re: Knee replacment? [Re: edunham] #758530 12/07/18 10:18 pm
Al Eckstadt Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I like that 3D printer procedure. My knees are functional but not without their little aches and jolts of pain.

Al Eckstadt
Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #758545 12/07/18 11:33 pm
Boomer Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Had my left knee replaced nine years ago and it was the best thing ever. As most say, wish I had done it sooner. I would recommend getting it done earlier so the recovery goes easier. It takes awhile and it helps if you can do some exercise to strengthen your thigh muscles before hand and work hard at it afterwards. It's hard work and takes months to get better but after a year I felt like I had a new leg. It's about quality of life. If you want to sit around on your ass and get old fast because your knee hurts then this is not for you. Or you could get up and do things like hiking, traveling, and bike riding. If it was my right knee I would not hesitate to kick start my Gold Star now. So quit the whining, oh I can't do that I have a bad knee, get it fixed and get on with your life.

Okay, that's my rant and it's not meant to be directed at anyone specific or offend anyone but I think the fear of the surgery and recovery holds a lot of people back and if you get it done I guarantee it will improve your life and you will not regret it.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #758550 12/08/18 12:21 am
MikeG Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Thanks Bill, that's the kind of advice I needed. Not really afraid of the procedure it's all the downtime involved that worries me most. No season seems to be a good time to be laid up but better a single time than all the time I guess.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #758564 12/08/18 2:52 am
H
henryanthony Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
H
Count me in with the rest of you knee challenged buggers.

Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #758584 12/08/18 9:44 am
D
Dibnah Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
D
Get a second (or third) opinion from a good physio, two surgeons condemned my knees several years ago, i didn't trust their opinions, plus the pain and immobility would vary over time, rescued by a physio with magic fingers. I have to avoid running and jumping, so that's even better.

Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #758603 12/08/18 3:04 pm
HughdeMann Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
First hand experience with a right knee replacement. I highly recommend it. The only real advice I'd give is to pick your therapy provider before you have the operation, and then do everything they say, and do it twice. I cannot stress enough how important the therapy is. If you don't cry, you're not working hard enough. I took it easy, and now I have about 80 percent mobility. Had I worked harder to start with, I'd have 95 to 100 percent.
As far as kicking your bike, It won't be any harder with a replacement than it was without it, just pain free. I started my Bonneville, my Norton, even a Big 4 Norton, all without issues.
My daily exercise is now a 3/4 mile uphill walk, let the dog play with the neighbor's dogs, then back down the hill. I've even hiked the entire (width) of the Appalachian Trail! It has to be one of the best medical decisions I ever made.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1964 Bonneville
A couple others
Re: Knee replacment? [Re: HughdeMann] #758605 12/08/18 4:34 pm
MikeG Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by HughdeMann
I've even hiked the entire (width) of the Appalachian Trail! It has to be one of the best medical decisions I ever made.

laughing thumbsup

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762429 01/13/19 1:25 am
M
Mori55 Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
M
I’ve had both knees replaced , no problem riding or kicking my 659 tr6c. Get it done and don’t screw around. MAKE SURE YOU DO THERAPY !!!

Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762444 01/13/19 1:00 pm
Z
Zimm Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Z
Worst case, there is a guy in England that provides an electric start set up for the A-10. I have a Bob Newby clutch in mine, but the original is on the shelf if I need to go that way.

Good luck.

Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762446 01/13/19 1:20 pm
Don Leaming Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I put an alloy cylinder base gasket in the big ugly 750 Interceptor engine at the last rebuild. Supposed to reduce compression half a point. Really did make it easier to kick over, no real difference in seat of the pants performance.
Oddly enough, I don’t need it with the TR6R, it always has been easy to spin the kicker. If I still owned the 850 Commando a push button kick starter would be a priority.
Cheers and good luck with the procedure.
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762454 01/13/19 3:24 pm
R
rocketgoldie Online Confused
BritBike Forum member
Online Confused
BritBike Forum member
R
Hi i have had a right knee a few months now i can still kick all my bikes ,just go to a gym and work hard it will be worth it.

Re: Knee replacment? [Re: Zimm] #762457 01/13/19 3:50 pm
KC in S.B. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Kind of wish you hadn't mentioned the Sportster.............

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH on the way to Japan!
Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762494 01/13/19 11:30 pm
Richrd Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Mikey, when was the last time you saw me kick a bike with my right leg?

Rich (last remaining member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762556 01/14/19 4:39 pm
MikeG Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Never really noticed it Richrd, but I've gotten to the point where I put them on the center stand and use the left leg. Just came back from the doctors this morning and an appointment with an orthopedic doc is in the works.
KC...my issue with the Sportster was that I made the mistake of locking my knee/leg straight as I came down on the kicker and the ratchet failed to spin the engine over. Went right to the bottom of travel with all my weight on it and hyper extended my knee. Imagine jumping off a 3 foot high platform onto one leg without it flexing. Truth is you could make the same error with any manually started bike if you're not careful.
I was talking to a friend that had a hip replacement"/rebuild?" done a few years ago and rather than replace the entire joint the docs went in and inserted a "wear pad" into the surface that the ball end of the hip bone rides. Much less invasive than replacing the entire joint and from what I understand less chance of infection afterward. Wonder if that's an option for knees as well?

EDIT-Should have reread the posts from above on this blush

Last edited by MikeG; 01/14/19 8:48 pm.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762722 01/16/19 9:48 pm
L
linker48x Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
I hyperextended my left knee in a motocross race in 1981 on my 1981 Maico 490, severed the ACL, tore the PCL and the MCL, and tore up the meniscus too. Did it good. I kept racing motocross another 30 years+, got 5 microsurgeries and eventually got an ACL replacent about 8 years later. I mx raced until 4-5 years ago, and the knee was toast--I even had trouble walking.

Now I am 5 months out from a total replacement last August. This is major surgery, let there be no doubt, and the recovery is quite slow. Things are slowly getting better, and I am able to ride a bicycle 15 miles or so every day or two, walk about 2 miles--I work hard at this, am quite motivated, and it is not without discomfort, shall we say, but I worked very hard to get the range of motion necessary to ride a motorcycle. The knee replacement is not permanent, they estimate its life to be 20 years, but that is for sedentary sorts, who exercise minimally. It will wear out much quicker if you are real active--i.e., run on it, motocross, backpack, etc.

I start all my Brit bikes with my right leg, except my Gold Star Clubman, which I have to use my left on because of the rearsets. So pretty much no problem there, but I am not sure I would keep kickstarting with it if it were my right knee, since it would be subject to wear, and kickstarting can be a forceful activity. But, when I was a little kid, my dad's rules for me to ride his Brit 500 singles was, if you can pick it up, and start it, you can ride--so as you would expect, skinny litle 12 year old me figured out how to kickstart effectively without much force. So, just a suggestion, to keep the knee working as long as possible, which is you might spend some time to figure out how to kick with a minimum of force, carefully priming, fresh plug, good spark, putting the bike at tdc, and especially, kicking with a sort of rolling touch instead of a stab at the pedal. And, be careful not to let the battery go down if you use a Boyer--it will kick back ferociously--and if you ride a Norton especially, if it sumps it takes twice as much force to kick so maybe think about draining it and putting the oil back in the tank. Just sayin'--go ahead and get a replacement, just take care of it and good luck! And if that all doesn't work, there are always bikes with electric starters...

Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762774 01/17/19 3:22 pm
KC in S.B. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Mike,.... Thanks for the clarification on the Sportster. I've been a regular on the XLforum lately, and those guys were the 1st to spread the "Sportster Knee" lore.
Kind of like folks telling war stories, trying to out do the last poster. I hate to admit it, but I have to admit honestly I'm afraid of it now. Too old to start living as a cripple with limited resources. Come summer I think it will have to go away. It was more of an accidental acquisition than a planned situation any how. My need to save it from an uncertain future, and sort of "honor" it's PO, by getting it running has been accomplished. But I have to admit also, it was a wake up as to why teenagers loved them! It's just a younger man's MC. Crude, noisy, mechanical, smelly, powerful, untamed..... A plethora of sensory experience!

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH on the way to Japan!
Re: Knee replacment? [Re: KC in S.B.] #762777 01/17/19 3:57 pm
MikeG Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by KC in S.B.
Mike,.... Crude, noisy, mechanical, smelly, powerful, untamed..... A plethora of sensory experience!

Exactly the things that attracted me to motorcycles in the first place shocked laugh

I remember your tale of saving it KC. I'm not sure if all the older Sportys did the same thing of if "Sportster knee" was due to kickback. Either way, if I had kept my knee slightly bent the damage and pain would have been a lot less severe, but at the time I was a whopping 140 pounds soaking wet with my boots on and thought it needed all the oomph I could put into it. Not so much the case anymore though. cry

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762795 01/17/19 7:36 pm
Alan_nc Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Body definitely give you messages. Gave up Trials a couple of years ago. Couldn't stand on the pegs for several hours with my legs as shock absorbers....well that and the Dr telling me he didn't think he could put my hand back together if I did the same damage he had just repaired.

Knees are still the ones I was born with. They aren't in the best of shape but I'm not ready to go through replacement. Several friends have had the surgery. Outcome seems to be based mostly on how much effort you put into the rehab.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762821 01/17/19 11:55 pm
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Not me, but in my family. My wife (a nurse) advised her dad where to go and which doctor to use based on her internet research. He ignored her advice and went with the local county hospital. Boy did he ever pay 10 times for that bad decision !!

First of all, you want a doctor and hospital that does hundreds of knee replacements a year, not tens. Even if you never heard of the guy. Turns out nearly all hospitals have someone that can do this now, but the people that do hundreds of hip and knee replacements have a specialized PT staff to match.

The quality of your recovery is based more on the quality of the PT you get after the surgery, not the size of the hospital or the fame of the doctor. So the guy that specializes in hip and knee has the more knowledgeable, more thorough, more highly trained PT staff. After you insure the hospital won't kill you by taking out your kidney instead of doing your knee, look at the PT staff.

Hope this helps.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA
Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762822 01/18/19 12:00 am
Richrd Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
DO NOT HAVE IT DONE BEFORE THE TSMR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 unless you're just going to ride in the truck all week.

Rich (last remaining member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Re: Knee replacment? [Re: MikeG] #762846 01/18/19 11:24 am
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Sportster knee. Yes, it's very real. My 72 CH did it to me. From what I gather, It isn't a design feature but rather the result of sloppy, worn kickstart parts. Mine didn't kick back but like Mike, I was full on locked knee giving it all I had and it let go about halfway through its swing. Knee still works, though.
Hope it goes well for you, MG

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership