BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum
| Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
sawtooth
sawtooth
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Support Your #1 Forum
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996.. Click here to buy BritBike staff a coffee.
ShoutChat Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
86 registered members (998John), 559 guests, and 765 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sivaraj, LarryL, chickin, Hill Easterwood, Stanier8F
10611 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 123
Mori55 77
koan58 71
NickL 68
reverb 65
Popular Topics(Views)
830,383 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,819
Posts671,852
Members10,611
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Stator Studs What were they thinking?? #762314
01/11/19 10:32 pm
01/11/19 10:32 pm
Wyoming, USA
D
Doug F Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Doug F  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

Wyoming, USA

Howdy all, Just chiming in as I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why they made these Stator mounting studs the way they did. started because of course the threads on my old ones for the nut
stripped out . on my '66 A65. Which 1st lead me to wonder Why they sized the stud down for a smaller nut to mount the Stator., when the larger diameter of the stud slips though to the end of the hole anyway.
Why not just leave it large for a larger nut to better secure it?After all we're trying to keep a .015" tolerance evenly around the rotor. I've checked it and the larger nut will in fact fit nicely on the stator & leave room for a socket wrench.
Then take into consideration, there's 3 different threads on these studs only 2 of which are used. BSF 5/16 22TPI. into the case, then blank for about an inch then BSC 26TPI, which slips thru the hole in the Stator.
then sized down & back to BSF for the nut. so it can't be because of cost savings or anything like that, & as far as functionality I just can't see the point.Is there a reason? I'm thinking maybe Lucas gave them wrong specs for the holes in the stator then sent with larger holes? but why the extra threads not being used on the shaft ? I know no big deal just seems weird . Love to hear if there's some reason for this . I'm making my own bolts
which will be 5/16 to the end with BSF for the case of course & metric for the nuts just because of ease.
Cheers! hopefully by spring I'll be riding this thing.
Doug
on a much lighter note. I'm getting the frame powder coated ! My son recently got a job at a local machine shop / Fabrication company & they're going to let him bead blast & powder coat it on his free time
for FREE !! just have to supply the powder coating. how awesome is that. every once in while we win one. thinking of going with a dark gun metal chrome , Any opinions?

Nothing Like getting those OLD things running like NEW
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Stator Studs What were they thinking?? [Re: Doug F] #762350
01/12/19 10:29 am
01/12/19 10:29 am
UK Tyne & Wear
P
photobob Offline
BritBike Forum member
photobob  Offline
BritBike Forum member
P

UK Tyne & Wear
I don't know about the 1966 model but my early A65 1963 the top mounting stud has to be turned down to clear the chain.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership