BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum
| Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBikers, just sayin..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
E.Fox, 1hirider, Dan watt, Kevin Wils, Shorty
10699 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 134
NickL 47
Popular Topics(Views)
896,220 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics66,861
Posts670,694
Members10,699
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
66 registered members (Adam M.), 490 guests, and 903 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fork Measurements Are Needed [Re: Magnetoman] #762203
01/10/19 11:42 pm
01/10/19 11:42 pm
U.S.
Magnetoman Online content OP

BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content OP

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
when this is all sorted out, will you be releasing a revised, updated edition of your book?
All sorted out? That could take a very long time indeed. Would you settle for quite a bit sorted out?

For what it's worth I continue to collect and organize whatever new Gold Star-related material I find but I have no plans for what to do with it in the foreseeable future. That said, I consider the loss of the Competition Shop's records when John Gardner died to be a tragedy of biblical proportions, and I have an academician's interest in not just preserving information, but preserving it in a way that makes it accessible to as many people as possible.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America

Re: Fork Measurements Are Needed [Re: Magnetoman] #762290
01/11/19 6:50 pm
01/11/19 6:50 pm
Comox BC Canada
Gordo in Comox Online content
BritBike Forum member
Gordo in Comox  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Comox BC Canada
MM: I agree with you on the sad loss of the Comp Shop's records. For example I have the remains of a ZB34 GS engine that does not appear in the GS despatch records. Back in 1999 Ian contacted John Gardner and he found it in the "Iron/Alloy engine Competition Records" as going out in a ZB31 S plunger frame, "Scrambles" equipment to Hap Alzina in California in 1951. This info gave me a real insight into the history of what I had. John later confirmed that the head on the engine was a true GS head and not just a ZB33A alloy option head.

The strange thing was that even though the cases are stamped ZB34 GS, they are not the big bearing cases but the small bearing version. This might have contributed to the engine blow up.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Re: Fork Measurements Are Needed [Re: Magnetoman] #762390
01/12/19 6:50 pm
01/12/19 6:50 pm
UK
F
flowboy Offline
BritBike Forum member
flowboy  Offline
BritBike Forum member
F

UK
Magnetoman,
I much admire your perseverance in these matters!
I was driven mildly insane when looking into the steering yoke issue when I discovered there were so many hidden variations. Not helped in the least by the fact that many have no casting / part numbers on them.
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbt...a-pre-unit-yokes-triple-trees#Post726089

Fork stanchions appear to be another minefield! Unfortunately my bikes all have replacement stanchions. There may be an odd one or two "originals" lurking in the basement. Will check.

na
Re: Fork Measurements Are Needed [Re: flowboy] #762397
01/12/19 7:56 pm
01/12/19 7:56 pm
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by flowboy

I much admire your perseverance in these matters!
I was driven mildly insane when looking into the steering yoke issue when I discovered there were so many hidden variations.
Thanks for your comment. I hadn't seen your earlier thread but I would have been surprised if I were the only one being driven insane by this.

I took a few minutes from my writing assignment to take photos of four variations of bottom yokes I found on the self and had sitting on the garage floor. Note the difference in location and size of the steering stops, the presence or absence of tapped holes in the stops, and whether the yokes have a dimple or a hole. The inset has yokes back-to-back to show two of the fork stops in greater detail. I don't know what models these yokes are from, nor if there are additional variations, but the photograph illustrates at least some of the variables we're dealing with.

p.s. it's not clear from the photo but the yoke at the right has a dimple. Counting the two others that are the same as ones in this photo, and three that are on my bikes, that makes nine yokes in my collection that either have a dimple, or a hole in place of the dimple. At least that's one feature that's easy to look for even if we don't yet know which bikes should have dimples and which should have holes.

Attached Files
Yokes_bottom01.jpg (126 downloads)
Last edited by Magnetoman; 01/12/19 8:11 pm. Reason: p.s.
Re: Fork Measurements Are Needed [Re: Magnetoman] #762414
01/12/19 10:24 pm
01/12/19 10:24 pm
Comox BC Canada
Gordo in Comox Online content
BritBike Forum member
Gordo in Comox  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Comox BC Canada
MM: The black yoke on the left in your photos is a rigid/plunger unit where the high nubs (when sitting upright ) butt against the frame as per this photo. The others have the low nubs that hit the steel plate that is part of the steering damper for the S/A frames.

Gordo

[Linked Image]

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Re: Fork Measurements Are Needed [Re: Gordo in Comox] #762421
01/12/19 11:25 pm
01/12/19 11:25 pm
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by Gordo in Comox
The black yoke on the left in your photos is a rigid/plunger unit
Thanks very much for that. Thanks to this information, plus the information you posted in another thread about plunger fuel tanks, I now know I have two components for a ZB Gold Star. This means I only have to source a few more components and I'll be able to build a complete machine...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership