BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
FinBSA
FinBSA
Finland
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
kerna, Col, paullowe, Okiewan, B1KAR
10911 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 94
quinten 63
Popular Topics(Views)
1,050,497 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,055
Posts683,031
Members10,910
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (Alan_nc), 310 guests, and 933 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: new engine [Re: Whisper] #758649 12/09/18 1:47 am
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Whisper
Mark Z

I trust that you wore some heat-proof gloves when you pushed the bearing out with your fingers at 200 degrees :-)

Ha, I said that I COULD have pushed it out with my fingers! I actually used a shouldered drift that I had a machine shop make for me. I just about got the drift in place and was getting ready to tap it with a hammer when the bearing essentially fell out. The drift was a bit more useful when it came to installing the new bearing.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: new engine [Re: lemans] #758775 12/10/18 1:20 pm
Allan Gill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by lemans
[Linked Image]

as I was rather pissed of by photobucket's ransom actions already one year ago, I decided to move forward with a raspberry-pi webserver. took some time but this is the result.
tadaaa. a server with my own pictures.

as the chris-crank is of no use yet (not without extensive modifications) I reverted to the tested 360-degree setup (had to, damn)
J.Hill alloy barrel
5-speed gearbox
newby belt

progress is being made
regards A

Probably the best solution for now, I have been discussing it with Mark at PES (CCM Britain, and the maker of Johns 5 speed box) He may be tempted to make an offset crank but will need a few bits to make one against I should imagine.

SRM are now selling an offset crank... However it is (and is advertised as) one of the Norish cranks...

On the Newby belt kit, give Bob a ring and he may machine you a clutch centre to suit the splined mainshaft.

beerchug
Re: new engine [Re: lemans] #758870 12/11/18 3:13 am
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by lemans
Originally Posted by Whisper
Mark Z

I trust that you wore some heat-proof gloves when you pushed the bearing out with your fingers at 200 degrees :-)

if referring to the torrington inside the gearbox, a std heatgun and a screwdriver did the trick, no injuries sustained
if referring to the crankshaft timing side bush, applied brute force and again no injuries

but to assemble the needlerollerbearing inner race onto the crankshaft is a tricky operation.
apply heat with the heatgun, then pick up the very hot inner race and position it on the exact position on the crankshaft timing side stub.
and keep holding it in position and wait for the inner race to shrink

cool your fingers and observe position of inner race, repeat untill satisfied.
and yes I wore some gloves

regards A

Sorry for the confusion lemans, Whisper was responding to my post about changing out the high gear bearing on a T140.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: new engine [Re: lemans] #759202 12/13/18 9:13 pm
L
lemans Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
L
some more pictures in random order

[Linked Image]
the ordered set of Allen bolts had a totally different thread (TPI was different as advertised) I decided to make my own. these are finished now with M6 at the other end
(no it is not to be a std bike)

[Linked Image]
made a suitable tool for the front sprocket nut. in the past a used a chisel as you can see. my welding ability is not that good but it works

[Linked Image]
engine as off today

Last edited by lemans; 12/13/18 9:36 pm.
Re: new engine [Re: lemans] #762089 01/09/19 7:29 pm
L
lemans Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
L
did some work on the timing side cover off the engine today
drawing/designing/fitting of the ugly lump, the axial oil feed to the crankshaft

[Linked Image from 77.163.36.45]

now it has to be welded and drilled to accept the oil-feed
it is not as ugly/protruding as the previous setup but the cover won't fit, pity but then again the modification is obvious.
progress!!
maybe it will be finished this spring

Last edited by lemans; 11/02/19 8:27 pm.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership