BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
breeze1954
breeze1954
S.W. Pa.
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Stormbringer, Noah from PA, DGW Auctioneers, GoTriples, Jan Hellinge
10830 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 139
NickL 73
reverb 60
DavidP 58
Popular Topics(Views)
975,112 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,414
Posts677,585
Members10,830
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
52 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 271 guests, and 766 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Indian Fuel Tanks #761362 01/03/19 1:09 pm
Allan Gill Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I have heard some good and bad reports about these in general, I have also seen some good and some bad tanks. Some I'd be happy to fit and some just completely poor in shape and size.

However has anyone yet fitted the OIF Export A65 tanks as seen on eBay?

beerchug
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761381 01/03/19 3:49 pm
Spitfire Ken Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I HAVE NOT SEEN A OIF A65 EXPORT TANK BUT I WOULD EXPECT THE QUALITY TO BE HIT OR MISS LIKE THE REST OF THEM. I HAVE A REAL PROBLEM WITH THE WELDING BEING SO POOR THAT YOU MUST HAVE THE TANK SEALED TO MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT LEAK.
DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE THAT THE SEALANTS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE WILL HOLD UP TO ETHENOL FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME SO YOU CAN SAFELY STORE THE BIKE WITH GAS IT.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under rstoration)
2001 Kawasaki W650
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761387 01/03/19 4:42 pm
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
By sticking to the recommended sellers you should have a better chance, pummy.8081 has been selling the earlier 2 Gal A65 Spitfire tank and has had several good reviews on this site, so I assume he should be good on other tanks. There are too many Indian eBay sellers that pop up and then disappear once the feedback goes pear shaped, stick with the established ones with good feedback for a number of years,

Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Spitfire Ken] #761388 01/03/19 4:43 pm
Servodyne Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I seriously looked at the export A65 OIF tanks for my A70 as I was getting totally disillusioned with the original BSA ones that kept leaking on the seams. I've got three factory export tanks and they all leak in exactly the same places around the top and bottom of the embellishment strip. The Indian ones appear to have welded seams whereas the BSA ones look like they may even be soldered, either way the original ones all seem to leak after a while and are very difficult to seal with sealant.
I ended up buying an Indian Mk2 Rocket 3 tank that BSA were seen to be experimenting with fitting to the OIF in the dying days of BSA. The central tunnel is made for the wide tube on the OIF but you need to weld on an extra bracket for the tank bolt as it's in a lower position.

[Linked Image]

I can't fault the quality so far. It fits perfectly and the welds and standard of chrome finish is very good. I'm also running a 57 A10 Spitfire with an Indian tank. Again it fits very good with very good welds, but the chrome finish is not perfect. Both tanks have sealant inside but I believe this was more as rust prevention than to stop them leaking, as some of the early Indian tanks were found to be horribly rusted inside when delivered.

So in summary, I wouldn't be put off buying an Indian tank, but I wouldn't just go for the cheapest because as you said the quality can vary.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire
1971 BSA A65 Firebird
1971 BSA A70 Lightning
1975 Norton Commando
1961 Norton 99
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Spitfire Ken] #761400 01/03/19 6:04 pm
R
Rich B Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
R
I tried KBS Coatings tank sealer on a Bultaco fiberglass tank. It has worked quite well. The fiberglass tanks are the hardest to seal.

KBS is a thin urethane coating instead of the epoxy type coating a lot of others coatings are. The urethane will flex with the tank.

The KBS is a 3 step system of wash, etch, seal. You HAVE to follow the instructions to the letter, especially the part about times and rotation of the tank.

I am at the end of step 1 on an original M33 tank right now. Likely this weekend, the tank will get etched.

Last edited by Rich B; 01/04/19 1:43 am.

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761413 01/03/19 7:55 pm
gavin eisler Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
@ Servodyne, thats a very good idea, using the MK2 rocket 3 tank, I like that, how does it marry with the front rubber buffers fitted to the OIF, or are they only needed for the larger bread bin ? Is there a gap at the seat , do the fuel taps play nice with the carb tops? I wouldnt mind fitting one of these.

I wouldnt be too picky about welding quality, I have a NOS BSA breadbin with some horrible welds underneath, on the other hand my Goldie pal tells me that some of the best Indian Goldie tanks are identifiable by their impressively neat welds , way better than BSA ,

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Servodyne] #761414 01/03/19 8:13 pm
kurt fischer Offline
#irideslow
#irideslow
Originally Posted by Servodyne
I seriously looked at the export A65 OIF tanks for my A70 as I was getting totally disillusioned with the original BSA ones that kept leaking on the seams. I've got three factory export tanks and they all leak in exactly the same places around the top and bottom of the embellishment strip. The Indian ones appear to have welded seams whereas the BSA ones look like they may even be soldered, either way the original ones all seem to leak after a while and are very difficult to seal with sealant.
I ended up buying an Indian Mk2 Rocket 3 tank that BSA were seen to be experimenting with fitting to the OIF in the dying days of BSA. The central tunnel is made for the wide tube on the OIF but you need to weld on an extra bracket for the tank bolt as it's in a lower position. ...

Looks like an interesting option. Could you please provide a link or the name of the seller?

Thanks,

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: kurt fischer] #761431 01/03/19 10:39 pm
Servodyne Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I was recommended to buy from pummy.8081 at Royal crusaders but ended up buying a tank in chrome finish from US.VIDHI, as he had a respectable amount of positive feedback whilst being reasonable in price. As Kommando states, there are many indian ebayers selling a lot cheaper but have little on no feedback so you pays your money etc. I made the seller an offer and got mine for £240 inc postage but had to pay an extra £24 duty.

On the standard A65 export tank, I think I would actually prefer an Indian one for the reasons previously stated.

https://www.eBay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BSA-A75-MARK-2-CHROME-PETROL-FUEL-TANK-GUARANTEED-PRODUCT/253730209311?hash=item3b137fbe1f:g:hlgAAOSwKJlbPOPE:rk:1:pf:0

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire
1971 BSA A65 Firebird
1971 BSA A70 Lightning
1975 Norton Commando
1961 Norton 99
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761450 01/04/19 3:46 am
M
mdodds Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
M
Hello People. After my Mk11 Spitfire 2 gallon fibreglass began to delaminate due to old age, i purchased a Chrome and Red Firebird tank off Pummy.8081. Very pleased. All i had to do was run a tap through the fuel tap spigots to give a quick clean (1/4 BSP instead of the usual 3/8) Then the screw hole to mount the BSA badge wasn`t 2ba. Eventually ran a new intermediate 3mm metric course tap gently through. Perfect! Used the usual tank mounting rubbers underneath and modified a dommie tank rubber under the front one to set it straight and ensure it sits well away from any nasty vibration.The chrome and paint are excellent. Cheers from sunny QLD Australia.

Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761458 01/04/19 10:33 am
T
TripleTown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
While there are a lot of Indian traders selling tanks, the actual number of manufacturing sources is very limited, most originate from a particular family. The 'local market' buys up whatever can be produced, including 'seconds' and retails them on, with or without paint jobs/chrome plating etc
Over the years, there's been a wide range of feedback on the quality, and much of this stems from who actually made the tank in the first place. Tossing a coin stuff!

Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Servodyne] #761463 01/04/19 12:41 pm
Allan Gill Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Servodyne
I was recommended to buy from pummy.8081 at Royal crusaders but ended up buying a tank in chrome finish from US.VIDHI, as he had a respectable amount of positive feedback whilst being reasonable in price. As Kommando states, there are many indian ebayers selling a lot cheaper but have little on no feedback so you pays your money etc. I made the seller an offer and got mine for £240 inc postage but had to pay an extra £24 duty.

On the standard A65 export tank, I think I would actually prefer an Indian one for the reasons previously stated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BSA-A75-MARK-2-CHROME-PETROL-FUEL-TANK-GUARANTEED-PRODUCT/253730209311?hash=item3b137fbe1f:g:hlgAAOSwKJlbPOPE:rk:1:pf:0

Just the info I needed, I beleive Gordon Grey used Pummy for his steel copy of the 68 Starfire tank.

This is what I would be looking at getting As you mention finding a decent 2 gallon tank becomes difficult also of late the prices being asked are a stupid amount and it could still need working on.

The plain steel finish doesn't show up the detail so Here it is in red

US.VIDHI looks to have the same supplier or at least the same photos

Red tank again

They are even listed as virtually the same title so I wonder if there is a closer connection.....

beerchug
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: TripleTown] #761471 01/04/19 3:20 pm
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by TripleTown
While there are a lot of Indian traders selling tanks, the actual number of manufacturing sources is very limited, most originate from a particular family. The 'local market' buys up whatever can be produced, including 'seconds' and retails them on, with or without paint jobs/chrome plating etc
Over the years, there's been a wide range of feedback on the quality, and much of this stems from who actually made the tank in the first place. Tossing a coin stuff!

That's my understanding too, a couple of makers but lots of sellers, the sellers buy various qualities with the cheapest being the rejects, they do not always repair the rejects before selling so cheapest is best avoided. They do like to haggle however which makes going by price alone difficult so reputation is best to go by.

Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761475 01/04/19 3:46 pm
B
bon Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
I have had the misfortune over the years to buy some indian made tools and motorcycle spares. In variably they have been pure rubbish. I would not waste time or money on indian made stuff.

Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: bon] #761476 01/04/19 3:53 pm
Allan Gill Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by bon
I have had the misfortune over the years to buy some indian made tools and motorcycle spares. In variably they have been pure rubbish. I would not waste time or money on indian made stuff.

I understand this statement, and a friend of mine has had to have a tank sealed because it leaked at one of the welds (been fine for all the many years since) however guaranteeing that a good second hand one is going to be as good is not easy and whilst I would have one repared the price of buying one in the first place is not worth considering.

beerchug
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761606 01/05/19 10:22 am
Allan Gill Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Do you have any photos Nick?

beerchug
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761633 01/05/19 4:19 pm
B
bon Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
I remember buying an indian made single seat for a rigid frame triumph. The metal frame of the seat weighed about the same as the whole motorcycle frame, hugely heavy, and no matter what i did i could not stop the thing rusting. The springs, turned out to be mild steel, not springs at all, once they stretched, they stayed that way. Finally the cover turned out not to be leather, but some sort of bizarre plastic/paper/god knows what hybrid, that yes, also rotted in short order. An 80 year old english made seat picked up at a jumble, even though it needed restoring was in better condition.

Some of their stuff maybe good, but its a gamble, certainly if they got their materials and quality control together, they could really do well selling spares.

Last edited by bon; 01/05/19 4:19 pm.
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761691 01/06/19 1:32 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Nick, happy new year, your tank pic, the fuel tap location, thats an improvement, on my T type the taps are much further back , that location looks a lot easier to work with. Good reflections. Thats a good deal I reckon. Gettin an old tank chromed would cost more in the UK

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761696 01/06/19 2:22 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I think there is method in the fuel tank madness, the front part is like a sump for debris, when reserve runs dry you put the front wheel up high and the float bowls fill, allowing slow forward progress, i dont use funny filters, have never lined the tank, or aggressively cleaned it. I drain stuff out of the float bowls once a year , their is rust , but its not a show stopper. i am a bit scared to stir that stuff up.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761782 01/06/19 11:59 pm
Richard Phillips Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Can't seem to find this guy pummy.8081 at Royal crusaders any links
Thanks,
Richard

Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Richard Phillips] #761796 01/07/19 2:17 am
Jon W. Whitley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Richard Phillips
Thanks,
Richard

FWIW,

https://www.ebay.com/usr/pummy.8081

I purchased my Spitfire/Hornet tank from pummy.8081 and it is identical to my original BSA fiberglass Spitfire/Hornet tank.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project

Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Jon W. Whitley] #761837 01/07/19 7:46 pm
Y
yosemite Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Y
Originally Posted by Jon W. Whitley
Originally Posted by Richard Phillips
Thanks,
Richard

FWIW,

https://www.ebay.com/usr/pummy.8081

I purchased my Spitfire/Hornet tank from pummy.8081 and it is identical to my original BSA fiberglass Spitfire/Hornet tank.

seems to have stppped selling

Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: Allan Gill] #761853 01/07/19 10:00 pm
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Look on eBay.co.uk, definitely still there.

Re: Indian Fuel Tanks [Re: kommando] #761854 01/07/19 10:07 pm
kurt fischer Offline
#irideslow
#irideslow
Originally Posted by kommando
Look on ebay.co.uk, definitely still there.

https://tinyurl.com/pummy-ebay-uk

Last edited by kurt fischer; 01/07/19 10:08 pm.

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor