BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Rick in Seattle
Rick in Seattle
Mercer Island, WA / Austin, TX
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Superspin1, Spot, longstroke, Lovatomi, Gary Hawthorn
10898 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 115
DavidP 73
quinten 68
Popular Topics(Views)
1,046,115 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,011
Posts682,486
Members10,898
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (998John), 475 guests, and 856 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs #761491 01/04/19 5:19 pm
C.B.S Offline OP
Parts Dealer
OP Offline
Parts Dealer
British Pre-Focus LED Headlight Bulbs

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

British pre-focus LED bulbs are now better than ever..

Here's why:

-New "beam" design
-Brighter
-Dual Filament
-Non-polarity sensitive

For only $34.95 & free USA shipping you can have a bulb that actually lights up the road without any fear of not seeing or not being seen.

Our new BPF LED bulbs will do just the trick for all your night time riding come this spring.

Purchase your led bulbs today by clicking on the link below or clicking the banner above.

Link: https://www.classicbritishspares.co...ts/british-pre-focus-led-headlight-bulbs

[Linked Image]
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #761521 01/04/19 9:23 pm
Morgan aka Admin Offline
Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
Looks very interesting..

BSAing you
Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #761564 01/05/19 2:03 am
KC in S.B. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I'm happy with the 1st edition item I tried!! Planned to put them in the other bikes, great to "conserve" the battery charging on daylight running. Fit like it was made by OEM! So now it is even better!

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 01/05/19 2:06 am.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH on the way to Japan!
Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #761634 01/05/19 4:22 pm
C.B.S Offline OP
Parts Dealer
OP Offline
Parts Dealer
KC, I liked the 1st bulbs too but these are much better. The beam is more focused on the road where it should be.

[Linked Image]
Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #761790 01/07/19 1:14 am
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Sounds good. At least now you won't need to worry about a negative ground bulb getting into a positive ground box.

Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #761936 01/08/19 5:12 pm
Magnetoman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The specs say this bulb works for any + or - voltage from 6V on up so I just paid $35 to be the guinea pig to see if it actually does brighten the night on my ET-equipped Triumph. The AC output of the lighting coil means a "normal" single-polarity LED bulb only would be on half the time. While the flickering of a "normal" LED would become unnoticeable above a few thousand rpm, having only half the light output would be noticeable. This new bulb should stay on through the full oscillating cycle as well as be much brighter than a stator-limited incandescent bulb, but I'll have to see it it works out that way in practice, as well as if it has an acceptable beam profile.

Just this weekend I moved the Triumph to the back of the garage so it will be a while before I test the bulb. I hope by then I don't forget I have a different headlight bulb, and I hope the bulb actually works, because getting caught out at night with no output from a bulb would be way worse than its present feeble ET headlamp.

Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #762105 01/09/19 10:14 pm
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Just ordered one myself for the BSA A10. It has to be better than the candle on it now. Report to follow!

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #762106 01/09/19 10:19 pm
kurt fischer Offline
#irideslow
#irideslow
Same here, ordered one the other day.

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: Magnetoman] #762138 01/10/19 7:14 am
Steve Erickson Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
MM, PLEASE don't forget to post your results. The ET stands to benefit the most from these bulbs if they work... as you know. I might actually be able to see the next deer I bounce off of.

Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: Steve Erickson] #762325 01/12/19 12:33 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Steve Erickson
The ET stands to benefit the most from these bulbs if they work...
Hold off until I have time to test them. Mine arrived today and even though I don't have time to do anything I took a little time anyway. I hooked one of its "filaments" to a power supply and the bulb begins to light up at 4V and seems to achieve full brightness at 5.8 V, at which point according to the power supply's ammeter it was drawing only ~1.5 A. The other filament behaved the same, although it drew ~1.8 A Although I'll instrument it properly for illumination, voltage, current and frequency response(*) when I get a chance, taking these at face value it only needs ~20 W to give full brightness from both filaments (and it certainly looks bright). That's less than 2/3 the power the E.T.'s lighting coils supply. That's the promising news.

Something to worry about is how irritating the flicker will be. If the filaments are "instant" on and off at the threshhold voltage, rather than taking at least ~5 msec.(*) to fade once they're on, there's a considerable part of the duty cycle when they will be off. On the other hand, an appropriate capacitor may easily take care of that. However, it also remains to be seen if the beam pattern is acceptable.

Anyway, having done only the most superficial of tests, at this point I'm cautiously optimistic this bulb could make our E.T. bikes forces to be reckoned with after the sun goes down. If so, it will remove the only factor where our E.T. systems aren't vastly superior to bikes having those wretched batteries that I hate so much.

(*) the voltage from the stator goes through 6 "zeros" per revolution so at 1800 rpm that happens 1800 revs/min x 1 min/60sec. x 6 zeros/rev = 180 zeros/sec or 1 zero every ~6 msec.

Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: Magnetoman] #762348 01/12/19 7:29 am
Q
quinten Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Q
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
Originally Posted by Steve Erickson
The ET stands to benefit the most from these bulbs if they work...
Hold off until I have time to test them. Mine arrived today and even though I don't have time to do anything I took a little time anyway. I hooked one of its "filaments" to a power supply and the bulb begins to light up at 4V and seems to achieve full brightness at 5.8 V, at which point according to the power supply's ammeter it was drawing only ~1.5 A. The other filament behaved the same, although it drew ~1.8 A Although I'll instrument it properly for illumination, voltage, current and frequency response(*) when I get a chance, taking these at face value it only needs ~20 W to give full brightness from both filaments (and it certainly looks bright). That's less than 2/3 the power the E.T.'s lighting coils supply. That's the promising news.

Something to worry about is how irritating the flicker will be. If the filaments are "instant" on and off at the threshhold voltage, rather than taking at least ~5 msec.(*) to fade once they're on, there's a considerable part of the duty cycle when they will be off. On the other hand, an appropriate capacitor may easily take care of that. However, it also remains to be seen if the beam pattern is acceptable.

Anyway, having done only the most superficial of tests, at this point I'm cautiously optimistic this bulb could make our E.T. bikes forces to be reckoned with after the sun goes down. If so, it will remove the only factor where our E.T. systems aren't vastly superior to bikes having those wretched batteries that I hate so much.

(*) the voltage from the stator goes through 6 "zeros" per revolution so at 1800 rpm that happens 1800 revs/min x 1 min/60sec. x 6 zeros/rev = 180 zeros/sec or 1 zero every ~6 msec.

Your worried about 50hz flicker at idle ?

Last edited by quinten; 01/12/19 8:40 am.
Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #762384 01/12/19 5:58 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by quinten
Your worried about 50hz flicker at idle ?
I wouldn't have written what I did if I didn't have valid reasons to be concerned that it might be an issue with these bulbs on the road when operated on the AC from an E.T.'s lighting coils. However, rather than a pointless data-free argument now, wait until measurements provide the answer. Whether or not there are issues depends on if the phosphors used to make the light from these bulbs white(ish) have decay times >5 ms and/or the characteristics of the electrical circuitry the drives the bulb. It requires measurements to know.

Meanwhile, if someone wants to try one of these bulbs in their E.T. bike before I find the time to make the measurements, it's important is to test it on a dark, moonless night. It's under those conditions where stroboscopic effects, if any, will be most noticeable and most objectionable.

Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #762450 01/13/19 2:06 pm
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Received mine yesterday. While I can't give the kind of test results MM did, all I can say is it's BRIGHT and it barely made the amp meter flicker when turned on. It will be a few months before any road testing can happen but if the pattern it throws on the wall is any indication, it should be a big improvement.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #762506 01/14/19 1:21 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
As a quick test, today I hooked the bulb to a Variac and cranked the dial to 6 V. Unfortunately, one of the beams flickered noticeably at the 120 Hz (equivalent to the stator's output at 2400 rpm). Interestingly, though, the other beam did not flicker.

Experiments to find a capacitor to eliminate the flickering are next, when time permits. I don't have any immediate need for a better light on my Triumph so this isn't at the top of my to-do list.

Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #762570 01/14/19 6:51 pm
HawaiianTiger Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Who cares about flickering? There are gadgets sold designed to make your old incandescent blub "flicker" intentionally. It makes you much more visible to the cage drivers.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: HawaiianTiger] #762575 01/14/19 7:38 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger
There are gadgets sold designed to make your old incandescent blub "flicker" intentionally.
Those pulsate the bulb at low frequency* during the day and are disabled at night. You wouldn’t want to ride at night with a strobe for a headlight.

* 4 Hz

Last edited by Magnetoman; 01/14/19 10:11 pm. Reason: 4 Hz
Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #773447 05/12/19 10:56 am
tridentt150v Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Got 2 myself......plus 2 x new 'Lucas' 7" reflectors. Thought I only ordered one lens but 2 turned up so I guess I have a spare smile

Needed the lens for the Trident, it presently has a Lucas sealed beam in it, which is a good light, but I always worry about 'what if it blows and I'm miles from home'...I can't replace the bulb. So the new reflector with the LED globe fixes that, cos if the LED burns out I can just buy a H4 or std type globe and go again.

Can't comment on how good they are just yet, Trident is getting a make over in the top end....new Beadling barrels.

Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #773457 05/12/19 1:56 pm
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
Write some report about them after covering some miles.

Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: HawaiianTiger] #775670 06/05/19 10:35 am
Allan Gill Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger
Who cares about flickering? There are gadgets sold designed to make your old incandescent blub "flicker" intentionally. It makes you much more visible to the cage drivers.

Cheers,
Bill

I’d have to read up on the MOT manual as it’s been 3 years since I last did any testing, but from memory (in the UK at least) the bulbs should not be flickering for MOT regulation.

The other concern with a flickering light is those darn cage drivers may think that your flashing them and turn in front of you... it’s because of this that I stopped riding with lights on during day light hours. (Unless cutting through dense traffic then I put main beam on, not bright enough to dazzle anyone but it does get you noticed and fewer people change lanes in front of you)

beerchug
Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: C.B.S] #775805 06/06/19 9:13 pm
HawaiianTiger Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I think there is at least one state here that is encouraging motorcyclists not only to ride with lights on (mandatory) but hat you leave the high beams on. During the day there doesn't seem to be a problem with blinding someone this way and may well allow the motorcyclist to be seen better than with just the low beam on.
I guess it really depends on where you ride. Where I ride, motorcycle accidents are kind of rare and fatalities down to one or two a year if that. I ride my British bikes with headlight on during daylight hours only when my charging system allows it, or on the highway. Around town, there is a constant discharge of the battery that will eventually get you stranded.
They both have switchable headlights whereas the Honda does not and also the law exempts old bikes in the daylight lights-on law.

My mantra, which has worked so far, is to ride like you are invisible anyway, which is at least sometimes true even with flashing high beams, orange vests, open pipes, you name it.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: New & Improved "BPF" LED Headlight Bulbs [Re: HawaiianTiger] #780473 08/03/19 9:44 pm
S
scott garland Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
love reading you stuff. here in Southern California freeway riding is not too popular mainly because of driver distraction and cars are so quite and fast now too many drivers are on auto pilot. Asleep at the wheel 75-80 in slow lane is dangerous. They tailgate and make me uncomfortable. L. A. is flat out nuts two or three accidents per day on average. I white line as a means of defense. I prefer two lanes off the beaten path for my riding.
Thanks for all your good advice in the past.
Scott Garland

Moderated by  Morgan Moderator 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership