BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
elchacal
elchacal
Martha's Vineyard
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
GoTriples, Jan Hellinge, Lucas Barwick, NTB31, B. Hunt
10827 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 140
NickL 77
DavidP 60
reverb 59
Popular Topics(Views)
973,287 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,391
Posts677,394
Members10,827
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
60 registered members (Adam M.), 369 guests, and 486 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
joe hunt mag & swept back pipes. is this possible? #760887 12/30/18 5:05 pm
S
seanalex Offline OP
New poster
OP Offline
New poster
S
Hello Hello,

I've been lurking this site for quite some time, and have just finally registered myself.

I've recently picked up this Unit Triton, which is fitted with a Joe Hunt Mag. I'd really love to get these swept back pipes fitted, as the lines of the pipes work well with the tank/frame. Only thing is the right side doesn't seem to have enough clearance with the Mag sticking out. It's really close, but unfortunately doesn't clear the housing.

Is there any way to extend the exhaust port by say an inch? So the exhaust can mount more forwards to the front of the bike? Just to push the whole assembly forwards. Here is a pic of the non mag side, will try to get one of the mag side today

[Linked Image]

Last edited by seanalex; 12/30/18 5:08 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: joe hunt mag & swept back pipes. is this possible? [Re: seanalex] #761091 01/01/19 2:22 am
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Uhm,
The two ways I can think of, is to
1) Ask an exhaust pipe maker [ and NEVER ask Armours for anything! ] to make some swept back pipes with the mag set-up so the pipe goes either over or under the mag, and I'd bet you'd want it under the mag...

2) _IF_ you can find a welder you trust, and realize you will have to have the chrome redone, heck, you might even get the chrome removed first, do the math to get the piece of tube long enough for your "inch of extension", get the extension[s] welded in place, mock it up back on the frame and get the mounting tabs re-positioned, then rechrome and mount them up.

Oh!
3) IF you are a capable welder yourself, order various bends of steel or stainless and build a set of sweptback pipes for your own custom look?

..... You will need to worry about "birdshit" globs of weld filler at the welds inside the pipes for flow properties... If you use option #2, the straight piece will allow you to file or grind the inside of the pipe clean... Maybe run a hone at the last to be as clear, clean, and round as possible, but not so long as to make the pipe thin...
Thin equals quicker bluing/discoloration of the pipe's chrome...

It's too bad there is no way to find easily, anyone who has the new type of tubing bender I once saw on a video.
The demonstration video showed a shop with one. Insert a full 12 foot or more length section of tube, and any bend or curve was possible as the machine forced the tube through the forming dies of this machine. Simply marvelous.

Last edited by Rickman; 01/01/19 2:25 am.
Re: joe hunt mag & swept back pipes. is this possible? [Re: seanalex] #761157 01/01/19 6:33 pm
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
if you can make them yourself, cone engineering will sell you all the stuff you need. their tubing is mandrel bent, so it doesnt squeeze down in the curves.

https://www.coneeng.com/

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: joe hunt mag & swept back pipes. is this possible? [Re: seanalex] #761262 01/02/19 4:01 pm
konon Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
By the way, that's a nice looking bike.

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1972 Rickman 125

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor