BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
CafeTbird
CafeTbird
Raleigh, NC
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
AndrewQ, Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis
10937 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 63
DavidP 62
quinten 59
Popular Topics(Views)
1,060,824 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,227
Posts684,649
Members10,937
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
86 registered members (998John), 1,110 guests, and 892 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Guide to Enfield colours - colors ? #758818 12/10/18 9:15 pm
R
Rohan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
My interest in this was initially piqued by several dark red timing cover nuts on a Model G engine.
And then noticing that the base of a mid 50s Enfield tank I have as a stray spare was also a dark maroon colour.

Reading through Gordon Mays enfield bible of of models, there are all these colours mentioned -
deep maroon, surf green, olive green, peacock blue, polychromatic burgundy, polychromatic copper beech,
indian red, chineese red, metallic red, polychromatic silver grey,

So, my question - is there a list / resource someplace that shows examples of all these colours ??
Or potential matches to modern day car colours.
While the net is filled with coloured Enfields, its tricky to decipher which colour these actually are/were ?

The poly copper beech is described as a metallic brown, and the olive green actually shows up in a brochure as this
I've not seen anything like this before, are there any survivors ?
Anyone got a copper beech bike they wish to show, or what about all those reds....

[Linked Image]

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Guide to Enfield colours - colors ? [Re: Rohan] #758836 12/11/18 12:14 am
R
Rohan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
With a bit of ferreting around, this would seem to be polychromatic copper beech, a 1954 Bullet
[Linked Image]

And this would be polychromatic burgundy, a 1959 Super Meteor
[Linked Image]

Re: Guide to Enfield colours - colors ? [Re: Rohan] #758853 12/11/18 1:40 am
gREgg-K Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I have a friend having a machine with a poly copper beech tank. The tank is the flat bottomed 1954 style with the same horrid stamped metal side badges as the Bullet in the first photo. I can't be more specific about the bike model because he got the tank on its own as a NOS part about 35 years ago, and it's been sitting around most of that time. As a result, this tank still carries its original paint in near perfect condition.

I don;t have a photo of that tank to share (as yet), but it is certainly more "metallic brown" than anything else, and not the same as the photo of the Bullet in photo #1. With that said, I have had cycle parts painted in the same color as that Bullet, which I would say almost looks like red oxide primer paint.

.. Gregg

Spyder Integrated Technologies
Lucas, BTH, & Miller Magneto & Dynamo Restoration
SMITHS Chronometric Restoration
[email protected]
Re: Guide to Enfield colours - colors ? [Re: Rohan] #758860 12/11/18 2:35 am
R
Rohan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Thanks. With some more scrabbling around, this one turned up - a much browner shade.
(So are these supposed to be the same color ??)
Hitchcocks also have something similar to this one on their website, as an original example.

[Linked Image]

Enfields had a very large range of colours over the years - the more I look, the bigger this subject becomes...
Finding and showing an example of each would be a huge task.
Hence i guess my question - has someone already made up such a chart or list someplace ?

Re: Guide to Enfield colours - colors ? [Re: Rohan] #758928 12/11/18 5:20 pm
C
Chris Overton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
There is an old and incomplete list of post-war colors and later UK paint matches in circulation. i.e. Paints from a later era, probably post 1970 because it references Rickman. I think it originated with someone in the REOC. I neglected to record my source as a pukka archivist would, with a pencilled notation on the back.

My copy looks to be about 5th generation photocopy and is full of pencilled "field notes" so hardly worthy of further copying. Better to go back to the well for a fresh copy, but some of the matching colors listed may now be obsolete too. Paint shops in this millennia have electronic readers to use in duplicating paint colors. Are the readings standardized? Or paint brand specific? If standardized, we could compile a list that would be usable internationally. I will contribute to such a project, but have no time to take the lead on this.

Color matches come from multiple sources. Many of them are official British Standard colors and I have found samples of those online. Some color matches are from Honda and Yamaha which are also available with Holts product ID's. Presumably Holts is a paint brand. Other colors are from Chrysler Talbot, which may date the list. British Leyland colors are big on the list with their Signal Red (32) being the only shade linked to models - Continental GT and Rickman. Other colors from Toyota, Opel, Ford, Volvo, BMW, and Mercedes.

White, cream, and polychromatic blaze equivalents are not listed. For P.C. blaze a friend used Persimmon Kandy from House of Kolor. Finish was nice but the color not nearly so exciting as the pizazz created on the House of Kolor site.

In 2011 another friend had the red stripe on a Series II Interceptor analyzed and found the equivalent was Indian Red for a 1973 Porsche. decals or transfers were intended for the stripe but an ex employee from Westwood showed me the shop on a steep hill in Bradford-on-Avon where he was often sent to buy cans of paint for the task. Another unattributed match in my notes for Burgundy used in the mid 50's is RAL 3005 Wine Red.

HMC forum on 16 Nov 2013 had a post from someone who had met a painter from Enfield Cycle in the 50's/60's. Polychromatic paints used a gold base for red tones, or silver for blue tones, then colored lacquer over. Results varied day-to-day, depending on the painter, the amount of thinner used, thickness of coats, and number of coats. I take that as licence to select shades by personal preference, price, and availability. I have no inclination to be slavish to perfectly original colors - they all fade anyway.

Re: Guide to Enfield colours - colors ? [Re: Rohan] #758962 12/11/18 9:35 pm
R
Rohan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Thanks Chris.

How many pages would this REOC doco run to - just as an indication of how large it is.

I saw that post on the HMC forum and the ex-employee, interesting stuff.

I'd take issue with that comment about 'polychromatic' paints having a silver or gold base coat though.
For most paint suppliers, that would be regarded as a candy or candy apple type paint.
It seems there are different definitions of what paint types are what types of paint. !
AMC specifically mention 'candy apple paint' in the brochure for some of their 1960s models that used it.

The early Enfields in polychromatic grey are definitely a singe coat of metallized enamel, no clear coats or transparent top coats there....
The particles in the paint are so small they are not visible by eye = a pre-metallic paint type if you like...

I'll think about compiling that list of colours - finding a match for them would be a seriously large task though,
especially without having examples to get a match from like you say..
I've got a local guy that can eye match colours better than any computer scans though, he's done it several times for me.
(the computer produced a colour that was more pink than you can imagine !).

btw, note that it seems that olive green Enfield 1955 Model G Deluxe shown above ISN'T in Gordon Mays book either, so what market was it for !!?
Cheers.

Re: Guide to Enfield colours - colors ? [Re: Rohan] #758963 12/11/18 9:41 pm
R
Rohan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
And, I've been pondering this one.
Said to be a 1960 Meteor Minor.

Is that likely to be an original colour, or a respray perhaps ??
What colour would Enfields have called that.

[Linked Image]

Re: Guide to Enfield colours - colors ? [Re: Rohan] #759049 12/12/18 3:40 pm
C
Chris Overton Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
The document is a single page. No title, but a page number 9 at the bottom. Maybe from an early issue of The Gun?
The red MM in the last photo is exactly the bike I should have bought in 1969, if only..... A great size for me, sufficient performance, comfy seat, exciting color.... Full width rear hub and larger tank? It may be a MM Sports.

Re: Guide to Enfield colours - colors ? [Re: Rohan] #759062 12/12/18 5:20 pm
T
tomoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T

Try this site for bike paint.
Merry Christmas!

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/

Re: Guide to Enfield colours - colors ? [Re: Rohan] #759413 12/15/18 7:40 pm
R
Rohan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
As far as supplying paint for bikes that RS site may be quite helpful - but they won't post overseas. ?

It appears too to have the same list of colours and models as in Gordon Mays book.
If only they had examples to show of all the colours mentioned....

So, is this peacock blue

https://www.shannons.com.au/library...-500-airflow-meteor-minor-motorcycle.jpg

Re: Guide to Enfield colours - colors ? [Re: Rohan] #759414 12/15/18 7:46 pm
R
Rohan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Also, reading further in Gordon Mays book of Enfield models, we see that later bikes are listed as being painted in candy apple red,
so that would exlplain that ex-employees comments about a silver or a gold basecoat.

(Polychromatic enamel paints can't have been done like that, since there was no transparent topcoat in enamel paints then,
they were a single coat type of paint...)

P.S. We also see listed there brilliant red, flame red, polychromatic blaze and possibly others to add to the list of reds Enfields used over the years,
examples of them all must be about someplace - if only we can recognise them ??

Originally Posted by Rohan
Thanks Chris.

I saw that post on the HMC forum and the ex-employee, interesting stuff.

I'd take issue with that comment about 'polychromatic' paints having a silver or gold base coat though.
For most paint suppliers, that would be regarded as a candy or candy apple type paint.
It seems there are different definitions of what paint types are what types of paint. !
AMC specifically mention 'candy apple paint' in the brochure for some of their 1960s models that used it.

Some hints as to some finishes, said to be for 1959/1960 ?

https://i.etsystatic.com/8018270/r/il/974c36/1408538256/il_fullxfull.1408538256_363a.jpg

At some point we probably need to ask if this is hi-fi blue ?

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/200912/1100_IMGP7372_1.jpg

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO