BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Mike Austin
Mike Austin
Murrieta California
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (Alan_nc), 275 guests, and 393 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tim Pedder, blayde54, Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock
10478 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 89
franko 78
Triless 69
Popular Topics(Views)
748,756 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,848
Posts670,637
Members10,478
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758200
12/05/18 4:47 am
12/05/18 4:47 am
Magnolia, TX
htown Offline
BritBike Forum member
htown  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Magnolia, TX
While the process you describe is legal to obtain a Vermont registration and plate, you as a Texas resident are breaking the law by riding it in Texas with a Vermont plate. Texas law says that you must get Texas plates and registration for every vehicle within 30 days of moving to Texas and since you are already here you don't even get the 30 days. And don't give me the argument that no cop has ever stopped you before. All you need is one gungho rule stickler to fine you. Texas has a bonded title procedure for missing titles. Yes it is more of a hassle and costs more but it works and you end up with a true Texas title and plate. Other states likely have the same resident requirement. Otherwise people would register vehicles in what ever state was the cheapest and not their home state. I moved to Texas from Louisiana and after I got my Texas driver license I had to get Texas registration and plates for my vehicles within the 30 days. Texas wants your fee's and tax money.

Last edited by htown; 12/05/18 5:03 am.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2004 XL 1200R Sportster

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758214
12/05/18 12:53 pm
12/05/18 12:53 pm
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Online content OP
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member

Texas gets my fees and tax money when I KEEP a bike, and ride it. I don't go riding with VT plates, I use their legal system to save a few bucks and months getting a bike sold.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758221
12/05/18 2:12 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
E

Ewing. NJ
Tridentman,
There actually is a way to legally get a title in NJ for a vehicle purchased without one. But it is expensive, time consuming and the bureaucrats at DMV will typically do everything they can to put roadblocks in your efforts. Additionally, it is not well publicized. You have to talk to the folks that issue special titles in Trenton. I have obtained a title that way, and I hope I don't have to do it again.
There is another option if you don't have friendly local constabulary. Throw the bike or bikes on your trailer and take a ride up to Vermont. According to Vermont's website, they will do the check at any of their DMV offices. Take the wife and make a weekend out of it!
If the newly registered bike is one you are not presently using, I would wait awhile before transferring title to NJ. If NJ asks why you titled a bike in Vermont (they have never asked me), you can always lead them to believe you purchased it while on vacation in Vermont and you wanted to transfer title right away. You won't have to sign any affidavits to that affect, so while you may be fibbing a stranger in a casual conversation, it won't have legal consequences. NJ does require you to change registrations within 30 days of moving to NJ, so you could be taking a chance if you keep the Vermont registration and ride the bike for a protracted period of time.
Ed from NJ

Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758222
Running from demons in WNY
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
25 years ago there were many Title Companies advertising in Hemmings Magazine for getting a title.. They were located in the several states with procedures like Vermont....I've pushed many zero paperwork vehicles through the loophole in NY laws, vehicles older that 1972 have only a registration like Vermont..However, you need a NY mailing address..NY doesn't actually want to see or inspect the vehicle, just a pencil tracing of the ID number is fine...This procedure will work if the vehicle has not been registered in another state prior to periodic records purge, about 7 years I believe...I have no idea if Vermont checks this...
The Vermont deal sounds simple enough...If you're lazy there are places online that will do it for a fee of about 100 bucks..
I have been told by several collector car guys that Ohio and NJ get a bit funny about transferable registrations from other states..They might require you jump through a hoop of fire .. Or it might just be stories from people who have a habit of annoying DMV clerks...

I take off bike parts until it doesn't function, then put on just enough so it functions
Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758226
12/05/18 3:01 pm
12/05/18 3:01 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

I used International Title Service (Vegas address) successfully 4 times, many years ago, then started having a hard time with them. Turned out the guy started scamming 100% of the time. No longer exists after word got to NC (I believe) where they stopped accepting titles from Maine (ITS's route of choice). I still have a Maine plate on one of my bikes, I never ride it.

I REALLY don't see the point in spending an extra $100.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 12/05/18 3:02 pm.

Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758243
12/05/18 6:14 pm
12/05/18 6:14 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
E

Ewing. NJ
The end came when one of the bigger title outfits put instructions on its website on how to title your brand new replica Cobra as the real deal and thus avoid having to meet smog and safety requirements. Apparently the state of California viewed that as participation in a fraud against the state and indicted the guy on criminal charges. I understand he was convicted and went to jail. It was a pretty big deal with a lot of DMVs and a lot of them started getting a whole lot more difficult to deal with.

Ed from Nj

Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758248
12/05/18 7:11 pm
12/05/18 7:11 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
was that titles unlimited?

i bought my hudson with chihuahua plates and no united states title. got it titlez in alabama tbrough titlez unlimited and transferred to my name in california

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758290
12/06/18 12:19 am
12/06/18 12:19 am
Greensboro, NC
Alan_nc Online content
BritBike Forum member
Alan_nc  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Greensboro, NC
NC Experience.

I was sitting next to an officer in the local biscuit and coffee shop. He had brought his computer in with him. I had the number of a bike written down and ask him to run it ….mentioned that I was thinking of buying it. He ran it while we sat there and drank coffee. Came back clean.....I was looking at the screen while it searched. Now I don't know what he would have said if it came back stolen

The NC process to get a title is very cumbersome but there is one. Requires a bond, a couple of inspections (which you have to take the bike in and you can't ride it). Then the usual proof of insurance. Total cost is maybe $50.00 plus the cost of the bond. Truly took at least 4 months to get a title for a 71 A65L and a good 25/30 hours of my time.

I've used NV, Maine,& Alabama (used to be the goto place). They all work for awhile and then something happens...………..

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758350
12/06/18 2:18 pm
12/06/18 2:18 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

I'm down to needing only four titles, two "regular" bikes, and two scratch-built ones.

I think I'm going to treat myself and get all four done as a Christmas present to myself.

I need to sell 2 of them, so they HAVE to get done. The other 2 will be nice to finally get out and ride more, especially now that I've sold off so many others, and they may actually get to stay running without flat batteries and stale gas!

Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: Alan_nc] #758352
12/06/18 2:19 pm
12/06/18 2:19 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by Alan_nc
I was sitting next to an officer in the local biscuit and coffee shop. He had brought his computer in with him. I had the number of a bike written down and ask him to run it ….mentioned that I was thinking of buying it. He ran it while we sat there and drank coffee. Came back clean.....I was looking at the screen while it searched. Now I don't know what he would have said if it came back stolen.

THAT is what I'm talking about!

Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758373
12/06/18 8:28 pm
12/06/18 8:28 pm
Butler PA
R
rightshifter Offline
BritBike Forum member
rightshifter  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Butler PA
This is some good information, but I see on the Vermont rules (concerning titles) that they do not issue titles for vehicles over 15 year old "Vermont titles only vehicles that
are 15 years old or newer"
and not for motorcycles 300cc or less (Tiger Cub). Do they issue something else, that you can go to your state DMV for a title in your state. Like a bill of sale type title? Also I assume you use your own (out of state) address. Thanks rightshifter

Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758375
12/06/18 9:23 pm
12/06/18 9:23 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
I've been running my '57 T-bird here for a few years now with a Vermont license plate. Cops never even give me a second look. I am technically not legal since the law says that I need to register the vehicle here within 30 days of arriving in the state. But, there's only one way to title an un-titled bike here and that is with a mechanic's lien. It takes 500$ and six months to achieve but it can be done. It won't be a salvage title or a home built special title either, from what I understand.

In order to register the bike here with the Vermont title, I would have to supply a counterfeit shipping BOL which I won't do. That is fraud, and much worse than just riding around an untitled-in-the state vehicle.

But, I ride my bike 500-750 miles a year, mostly up country where cops are few and far between, so I haven't bothered.

However, I do recommend running your numbers through the NICB, website found HERE
and running the numbers through your local DMV or highway patrol and print the the results out. Not a bad idea to carry them with you....

The NICB title search is free.

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 12/06/18 9:24 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: rightshifter] #758376
12/06/18 9:27 pm
12/06/18 9:27 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by rightshifter
Do they issue something else, that you can go to your state DMV for a title in your state?

Yes, a registration on postcard weight paper stock.

I also requested, and quickly received a signed document from a VDMV rep stating that they do not issue titles for motorcycles over 15 years old, only registrations.

Last edited by GrandPaul; 12/06/18 9:28 pm.

Re: Obtaining a LEGAL Vermont registration [Re: GrandPaul] #758380
12/06/18 10:34 pm
12/06/18 10:34 pm
Butler PA
R
rightshifter Offline
BritBike Forum member
rightshifter  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Butler PA
Thanks again for the information rightshifter

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership