BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum
| Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Paul G80
Paul G80
Cambridgeshire UK
Show All Member Profiles 
ShoutChat Box
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBikers, just sayin..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Newest Members
Steve Webb, Cyborg, Bargee, TBC, Vidane
10665 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 115
NickL 54
Rohan 51
Popular Topics(Views)
879,757 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics66,610
Posts668,729
Members10,665
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
50 registered members (AML), 275 guests, and 604 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Replace Flywheel bolts? #758310
12/06/18 2:33 am
12/06/18 2:33 am
Oklahoma
T
Tracey Spear Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Tracey Spear  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
T

Oklahoma
For my first A65 rebuild I've almost got the crank assembly ready for balancing. The new pistons, pins, clips, rings, and rods weigh +30 and +35 grams over the original. And that's without the big end shells. One of the original pistons is +5 grams heaver than it's mate. I haven't weighed the old shells but I'm guessing that's easily 10 grams maybe more. So that's an extra 75-80 grams over original.
Is that even worth bothering over? Am I overthinking it?

I was surprised by how little gunk was in the sludge trap, maybe 1/8 inch. I soaked in mineral spirits and kept cleaning until the solvent came out clear. The original flywheel bolts appear in good shape. Is it advised to reuse the flywheel bolts, or should they be replaced just because?

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Replace Flywheel bolts? [Re: Tracey Spear] #758358
12/06/18 3:15 pm
12/06/18 3:15 pm
Oklahoma
T
Tracey Spear Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Tracey Spear  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
T

Oklahoma
Yes. I removed the tube, soaked and cleaned. Cavity and oil passages were soaked and cleaned till I could run clear mineral spirits through it and the solvent stays clear. Going back the rods weigh 410 gm each - shells, and the piston assemblies weigh 425 gm each. A total of 835 gm on each side.

Re: Replace Flywheel bolts? [Re: Tracey Spear] #758360
12/06/18 3:34 pm
12/06/18 3:34 pm
West Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member

West Yorkshire
I replace flywheel bolts because you don't know the stresses they have been under but many don't. Ive had motors done with original bolts (before I knew any better) I've checked them after a period of running and found them no longer tight... so each to their own, I like to think of it as cheap insurance.

As for rods and pistons etc, try as much as you can to get the weights of the 2 sides equal, it'll help a lot before you start doing any dynamic balancing.

beerchug

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership