BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mark Chapman, JacksMacnLE, Argos parts, Mr. Bean, rudi
10864 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 167
DavidP 69
reverb 59
NickL 53
Popular Topics(Views)
1,019,866 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,804
Posts680,446
Members10,864
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
66 registered members (1958superrocket), 636 guests, and 871 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #754229 10/27/18 8:22 am
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I greased the bearings and put the front wheel from the Trident back together.
I can put the wheel back on tomorrow.
Doesn't much matter. This winter the comical goes on the BSA while the disc goes on the Trident.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #754636 10/31/18 4:46 am
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Had to re-position the rotor on the Tri Spark, but I started the Trident today. Timing is spot on. The idle is a bit lumpy, but it doesn't quit and revs well. I'll ride it tomorrow and sync the carbs.
I rode the T120 to an AES meeting and to the bar to watch the Predators win another. Very happy with that bike.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #754691 10/31/18 8:12 pm
B
bodine031 Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
Checked tyre/press and took a 2 hr. ride on the T-150 78 degrees and perfect. Enjoyed the Pred's lighting up PK's brother!!!!

Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #754736 11/01/18 5:49 am
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Lumpy idle was the result of my not tightening the center plug. Fired it up today, first kick, and all is well. Too busy to ride it though.
I need to register the T150, but I'll wait. I'm moving to a county with no wheel tax, I'll register it there.
Can't ride it too far with an expired Kentucky tag.

I tried to ride the K100 to the store today. It handled weird so I turned back. 24psi in the front tire, amazing how pressures which used to be OK will mess with tubeless radials.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #755076 11/05/18 12:25 am
R
Rohan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
I went and retrieved the tank for my ES2 project.
So the tank went for a fly on the way ome...

[Linked Image]

I was anticipating a battle over getting a petrol tank on a plane, but the check-in lass merely smiled sweetly and asked if I wanted fries with that.
But she did ask if it had petrol in it....

If you squint a bit, you can still see the shadow of the Norton decals and the red pinstripes - although very very faint.

Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #756438 11/18/18 1:57 am
R
Rohan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Took delivery of some K70 tyres - this project might fly yet - so to speak.
Until it has good rubber, its not really viable.
And I do have some rather dodgy looking rubber on some wheels on other things.

It occured to me after I got them that I've never ridden anything with them on, are they good ?
Yesterdays superbike rubber for yesterdays superbikes, and all that....
'Superbike' being a relative term.

[Linked Image]

Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: Rohan] #756440 11/18/18 2:08 am
Triless Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Well, K70's were fitted to my '76 T140V as original fitment. When the rear required replacement at 5,470 k, I replaced both front and rear with Avon Roadrunners ! But the K70's didn't cause me any drama while in use .

Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #756533 11/19/18 1:01 am
A
ArmyMutt Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
I figured out that the welded on ring with tab for the rear brake pedal on my 67 Bonnie was no longer welded to the pedal. Took the engine mount off, pulled the pedal and rewelded it. While waiting for the paint to dry, I started cleaning the other parts. I then discovered that the rear brake adjuster is supposed to have a piece that it sit against, other than the brake mechanism. I also found that the brake connecting rod was bent ever so slightly and was worn at one spot. This lead me to the parts book and my "Parts to be replaced" spreadsheet. I decided that while I'm ordering these parts, I probably should go ahead and replace some of the rubber pieces in the handlebars in order to get both p-clamps sitting upright. Before I knew it, I had over $500 in parts across three carts. Reality kicked in and I now have just the brake parts, rubber parts for the handlebars and instrument mounts, and a set of handlebars for my '72 R75/5 on the way.

Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #757117 11/25/18 10:09 pm
kevin roberts Online Confused
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
putting my morgo back together. i robbed it for parts for my bonneville LSR, and it's been sitting. when i raced it, i ran simple lines to the carbs, left for left, right for right. i've gone back to the awkward crossover now, so that i have a reserve. the one thing i like about Concentrics is the ability to make intelligent fuel-line routing, because of the banjo fittings. can't do that with mikunis, or keihins either:

[Linked Image]

i also changed from 21/47 to 19/47 on the gearing. 21/47 made for 118 mph at 6900 rpm, and an easy bike to ride with the 5-speed, considering the stupid-low first gear. but i got curious, so i put a 19-tooth gearbox sprocket back in. have to shorten the chain, probably:

[Linked Image]

i really should come up with a real mount for the coils, too. this cobbled-up mount works but is real un-aesthetic:

[Linked Image]

and i've had a wonderful day with the shop doors open and some simple time alone. mostly alone, anyway:

[Linked Image]

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: Rohan] #757489 11/29/18 2:09 am
L
linker48x Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
Originally Posted by Rohan
Took delivery of some K70 tyres - this project might fly yet - so to speak.
Until it has good rubber, its not really viable.
And I do have some rather dodgy looking rubber on some wheels on other things.

It occured to me after I got them that I've never ridden anything with them on, are they good ?
Yesterdays superbike rubber for yesterdays superbikes, and all that....
'Superbike' being a relative term.

[Linked Image]

Hmmm, "good"? Well, I didn't really like K70s back in the day, they tended to have not so much side bite even when new, and they wore flat with corners on the edges relatively quickly, which made them steer not so nice, but they were basically all we had, so they were OK. Basically all my street bikes had them, and I actually road raced on them, too, back in the late 60's/early 70's, at least until K81s came out, so I guess they worked ok. If you are chasing an original look and you don't ride hard, they are definitely what you want. If you are going to ride hard, then you might be better off with Avon AM26's, which have a more racey profile, with lots more rubber on the ground leaned over. All my classic bikes have those, or Bridgestone BT49s nowadays, since I care more about how they ride and steer and stick, than how they look.

Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: kevin roberts] #757586 11/30/18 6:16 am
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
i ran simple lines to the carbs, left for left, right for right. i've gone back to the awkward crossover now, so that i have a reserve. the one thing i like about Concentrics is the ability to make intelligent fuel-line routing, because of the banjo fittings. can't do that with mikunis, or keihins either:

[Linked Image]

That's what I did when I ran Mikunis, one line for each side, both petcocks on. Had to keep an eye on the trip odometer.
Got MkIIs now. Fuel line routing is normal and I have a reserve.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #757588 11/30/18 6:32 am
DavidP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Today I carried the Trident to my new home in Crossville. Mr Jim is already there, only two bikes left to transport.
I'll be in my new digs by Christmas.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: DavidP] #757644 11/30/18 4:46 pm
shel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by DavidP
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
i ran simple lines to the carbs, left for left, right for right. i've gone back to the awkward crossover now, so that i have a reserve. the one thing i like about Concentrics is the ability to make intelligent fuel-line routing, because of the banjo fittings. can't do that with mikunis, or keihins either:

[Linked Image]

That's what I did when I ran Mikunis, one line for each side, both petcocks on. Had to keep an eye on the trip odometer.
Got MkIIs now. Fuel line routing is normal and I have a reserve.

I've done the same on my Miks, I tried different double tee set ups to feed both cards from either petcock but there really isn't enough room. Like David at about 125 miles I start looking for gas.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #758073 12/04/18 4:00 am
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Well not to my bike, but to my son's TR5T, I installed the cylinder head last night.

Can I whine just a bit? Compared to an A65, assembling the upper engine of a Triumph is fiddly to say the least. First, getting those bottom squish washers and rings over the shoulder on the tappet block without twisting them, then getting head on over the pushrod tunnels, then getting the pushrods in place - you have to put the rocker box gasket on first, which blocks your view down the pushrod tunnel, and finally, getting the rocker boxes in place over the pushrods requires a leap of faith - ok, the gasket *kinda* holds the pushrods in place, but you can't see inside the rocker box at the critical point.

It's been said, if you could ever find a way to put a BSA upper on a Triumph lower, you'd have one hell of an engine. Obviously impossible since the BSA is a single cam and the Triumph a dual cam, but, I wonder if anyone has ever built a Triumph cylinder head with cast-in rocker stanchions?

Had to get a bit creative on the torqueing of the head nuts and bolts. Any socket on the inner nuts puts the head of the torque wrench into the frame, so I used a crow's foot wrench on those (first picture).

An extension is required on the outer bolts (and yeah, why is it that the inner nuts are 5/8" wrench size, and the outer bolts are 15mm?) to keep the head of the wrench from hitting the rocker box (second picture).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #758191 12/05/18 2:13 am
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
Moto-Amish
I'm cleaning up the rear brake plate and plating all the old, rusty fasteners. I also got a new India-made rear fender to install on the A65.

Josh
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #759845 12/20/18 2:19 am
L
linker48x Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
Oh brother, I have posted a few times about my star-crossed T140D restoration. Somewhere along the line, the Original Owner (OO) and the Prior Owner(PO) managed to make my life difficult.

The OO had put a big fairing on, and seemed to like toggle switches in the fairing as opposed to the stock switchgear, so he gutted the latter, and completely redid the wiring diagram so he could use the former--cheap switches from Pep Boys, I think. Result: replace with a new wiring loom, and new handlebar switches and throttle. The '79 and later have a quantum leap more complex wiring diagram, and I am not electrically inclined, so it was a fair challenge to my talents to get this properly wired, to say the least.

Along with discarding the stock switchgear, the OO also discarded the dash that held the ignition switch, and the idiot lights. One more hard to find item, and all the lights and their sockets needed to be replaced too.

The Front Master cylinder was totally hosed. Result, replace with an 11mm YZ250 Yamaha master cylinder to give the brake some oomph, which all my race bikes with Lockheed calipers have had.

The disc was chrome (natch) and the linings were toast, so I just got a drilled and skimmed disc from Baxter Cycle, and new performance pads.

Brake lines soaked up all the fluid and were unusable, Result: replace with stainless lines.

The OO seemed to like one of those 12 inch shorty chopper mufflers, and discarded the unobtainable stock muffler in exchange for this Harley-appropriate piece of junk. Result: bought another non-standard megaphone muffler (actually two--the first effort was too short and noisy).

It sat for 30 + years. Result: a complete bottom end overhaul and cleanout of the sludge tube.

The PO nicely bought a JRC cylinder and Taiwanese pistons. Brand new. However, the rings that came with these are worthless, and I have to take the cylinder off and replace with good rings.

The cam bushings turned in the case. Result: got some more, and secure them in their bores.

The valves and springs were predictably duff. Result: get some PM valves and springs.

However, the PO replaced the valve guides with the wrong ones--for the earlier T140V engine, located by shoulders against the head instead of by circlips. These were longer than the proper ones that have circlips locating them, and thus did not allow full valve lift before impacting the valve tops. Result: Pull it down and mill the tops of the valve guides .060, and replace the spring bottoms with T140V style with larger i.d.

Tires were dead, of course, changed them to Avon AM26's, my favorite for old British street bikes.

Dumped the points, got a new Boyer and new coils and wires, and a gel battery.

I dumped the almost-ape-hanger high stock handlebars and installed Superbike bend bars.

The latest: the OO apparently didn't like the stock air cleaner box, and had the side covers amateurishly mounted with pieces of hardware store steel strap and 1/4-20 screws. The carb mouths are very close to the frame downpipe, and I mounted Unifilter socks, but they pushed the carbs sideways, looked amateurish, and prevented properly mounting the side covers. Through the kindness of a fellow user of Britbike, I am getting a standard air cleaner box soon which will let me properly mount the side covers too. Thanks a lot, Eric.

But, wow, does it ever ride nicely, best running and handling stock street Triumph I have ever had, and that covers a lot of Triumphs. Funny with so many challenges I like this bike so much. Probably more because of the challenges, than in spite of them?

Last edited by linker48x; 12/20/18 2:39 am.
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #759866 12/20/18 1:47 pm
konon Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Installed power jets on Mikuni VMs.

Attached Files 20180828_163837.jpg

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1972 Rickman 125
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: konon] #759870 12/20/18 2:03 pm
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
update on how they work, please

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #759879 12/20/18 3:56 pm
konon Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The carbs are 34mm , I use 220 main jets. To use the power jets , go 6 or 8 full jet sizes smaller , I went 6 to 160. Opened power jet valve 1.5 turns, (1/4 turn = 1jet size ) puts it back to 220. This setting works for here at sea level
Adjustments for elevation can be made from valve. They also deliver the fuel at the center of the venturi, for better atomization.
PS I went an extra 1/4 turn for safety.

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1972 Rickman 125
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: konon] #759901 12/20/18 6:19 pm
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
i have 34mm VMs on a 750 T120. i use 210 or 220 mains on that one too, 240 with open reverse cone megaphones.

what improvements are you looking for with the external power jets?

Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #759904 12/20/18 7:09 pm
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
Kevin:
Have you tried this. Available from any Coventry dealer under CS-3128.

[Linked Image]

Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #759905 12/20/18 7:21 pm
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
Can I whine just a bit? Compared to an A65, assembling the upper engine of a Triumph is fiddly to say the least. First, getting those bottom squish washers and rings over the shoulder on the tappet block without twisting them, then getting head on over the pushrod tunnels, then getting the pushrods in place - you have to put the rocker box gasket on first, which blocks your view down the pushrod tunnel, and finally, getting the rocker boxes in place over the pushrods requires a leap of faith - ok, the gasket *kinda* holds the pushrods in place, but you can't see inside the rocker box at the critical point.

You will find if you lubricate the push rod tube "O" rings with P-80 rubber lube they will fall into place. Unlike lubricating with oil, or the like, P-80 is a water based product which, when dry, makes a perfect seal. Oil can lead to wicking, and a nuisance oil leak.

Putting push rods in place is aided by the use of grease in the push rod cups (on the 500 the cup in the tappet). Besides keeping it in place once contact is made, the grease will hold the push rod on the tappet as you lift them up and down to check that they are in place. You can feel the tappet coming down on the cam as you raise and lower them. Its all done with feel, and you don't need years of practice to accomplish this.

Remember our CovSeal rocker box gaskets are available for all Triumph twins and triple. No more squeezing out or loosing torque as the gasket deteriorates.

Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #759921 12/20/18 9:28 pm
R
raf940 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
installed box headsteady on my 72 commando a gift from accessnorton web member Craig...also starting taking bits off of 72 T120 to get ready for install of Pazon Surefire that Sanny Clause is bringing me for it the Boyer on it now is about 20 years old

Last edited by raf940; 12/20/18 9:28 pm.

1972 Triumph T120
1968 BSA A65
1968 MGB Roadster
1979 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta
1969 Honda Mini Trail
1939 farmall f30 tractor
2004 Honda Shadow Aero
1972 BSA Thunderbolt
1975 yamaha xs650b
1972 Norton commando
2 olive drab WWII military bicycle replicas
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: John Healy] #759923 12/20/18 9:33 pm
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE
Originally Posted by John Healy
Kevin:
Have you tried this. Available from any Coventry dealer under CS-3128.

[Linked Image]

john, i have been waiting thirty years for that.

thank you.

Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #759931 12/20/18 10:39 pm
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I fired up my 79 T140D yesterday ,ran it blipping the throttle for a few minutes in the shop...This is the engine with revised cam timing and tight piston to head quench Honda FZR forks and Ducati brakes.Today was 42F ,a warm winter day...The roads are sloppy with sand for ice traction but dry..I started the engine and rode out of my basement shop onto snow that wasn't melted for 400 feet till I got to the road. Used about 1/2 throttle and 5000 RPM maximum going through the gears.for about 5 miles miles..Engine felt responsive and strong , it's gonna be a runner...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership