BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
injunmort
injunmort
sugarloaf ny
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 267 guests, and 394 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
itomtom, Wristpin, Mom1, flyntone, RNORTON
10448 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 68
Jeff K. 60
DavidP 58
Popular Topics(Views)
732,808 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,575
Posts667,882
Members10,448
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: Lannis] #755477
11/09/18 12:06 am
11/09/18 12:06 am
Running from demons in WNY
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by Lannis
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Perhaps we need to treat dogs like guns...When the actions of a few are dangerous ,just use group punishment to take it away from everyone..Of course there can be strict licensing for the few really needing a dog like the handicapped and some ranchers...For sure some breeds will be considered "assault dogs" with a total ban...

It don't work like that. Guns don't jump out of the cabinet and run down the street and hurt people all by themselves, or leap out of a holster of their own volition and bite people .....

Just go with my lampoon based on gun control thinking.... grin

For the record, I don't believe any dog breed can really be banned successfully......If you spend time looking up dog bite statistics you will find that although pit bull biting is more fatal, many other breeds do bite as much or more, Where do you draw the line ? I believe the individual dog owner needs to be held accountable with criminal charges mandatory in most situations

I take off bike parts until it doesn't function, then put on just enough so it functions
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: Hillbilly bike] #755481
11/09/18 1:00 am
11/09/18 1:00 am
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Well, that's good on paper at least. Law enforcement needs more involvement with this and probably more education on how to handle these cases. But frankly most pit bull owners bug out once their dogs have done the damage and try to get clean away.

The lady whose dog attacked us was very contrite and cooperative. She gave us her number and promised to pay the damages. However, at this time, she is not returning calls nor even answering the phone. Norma, the other dog owner, will follow up legally if necessary. I guarantee she has ditched that critter by now.

She's only into Norma for 250$ for the typical dog bite treatment. Wound cleaning and antibiotics, essentially.

I'm curious as to how this will play out.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #755491
11/09/18 2:49 am
11/09/18 2:49 am
South cone
R
reverb Offline
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

South cone
...we cannot conceive the modern world (cities) without dogs now; you cannot put a law saying that the dogs now are banned...
The problem started long time ago when the dogs trespassed the rural areas to live in the cities, then the breeders (not the band) started to appear and became a business.
The rest is the story that we are living, like yours.

-the dogs were not the problem in the past, there in the rural environment doing what they did mostly, guard, hunt etc. but now they are like a product...
We are producing them...not relying on the ones that are.

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #755512
11/09/18 9:46 am
11/09/18 9:46 am
Greensboro, NC
Alan_nc Offline
BritBike Forum member
Alan_nc  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Greensboro, NC
Ah.....congestion. Not as same to ride a motorcycle.....not as safe to walk in your neighborhood.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #755528
11/09/18 1:55 pm
11/09/18 1:55 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
E

Ewing. NJ
Lannis,
Does your knife guy do mail order?

Ed from NJ

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: edunham] #755532
11/09/18 2:14 pm
11/09/18 2:14 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Offline

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by edunham
Lannis,
Does your knife guy do mail order?

Ed from NJ

No; he's an older guy, lives in an old mill, works with very old equipment (except the plasma cutter); old foot-cranked grinding wheels etc, and sells his wares once a month on the tailgate of a beat-up pickup at the "First Saturday" swap meet in Altavista, VA ... With the weather turning cold, it'll probably be spring before I see him again, but I'll check .....

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #755533
11/09/18 2:19 pm
11/09/18 2:19 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Offline

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger

The lady whose dog attacked us was very contrite and cooperative. She gave us her number and promised to pay the damages. However, ....
Cheers,
Bill

Isn't that always the story? We've heard it a hundred times, especially with fender-benders on the street ... the person whose fault it was is ALWAYS contrite, ALWAYS offers to pay and make it right, NEVER wants to call the cops ... and then, once away from the scene of the incident (crash, dog-bite, etc), suddenly there's no more direct contact, no "making it right", just lawyers and hints that "it wasn't MY fault, it was YOUR fault, see you in court".

In my whole life, I've had ONE guy "make it right" after screwing me up, and that's because we were going to the same college and he couldn't get away ....

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: Lannis] #755575
11/09/18 9:52 pm
11/09/18 9:52 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
E

Ewing. NJ
Lannis, your private email is over the limit. I would like to send you a PM.

Ed from NJ

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: edunham] #755684
11/10/18 8:57 pm
11/10/18 8:57 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Offline

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia
Cleaned up a bit, should be open now. With a 100-message queue, I ought to be able to keep it cleaned up, but nooooo ...

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #756198
Yesterday at 12:18 AM
Yesterday at 12:18 AM
South cone
R
reverb Offline
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

South cone
...I was checking a video about pug dogs...somehow ytube offered me this other one!

In my opinion, these type of persons only add a problem to a possible problem. Hence my previous mention about the business behind the dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF-rT5ryiB8

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #756231
Yesterday at 11:43 AM
Yesterday at 11:43 AM
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Dogs are often a fashion statement..Pit bulls and large nasty looking dogs used to display a tough guy image..A friend just bough a Lab, he didn't get one local, he paid 1000 bucks to buy a puppy and have it shipped by air from Oregon to NY...The shelters are overflowing with unwanted dogs scheduled to die and yet people just go out and buy more dogs from breeders...And many get a cute puppy and then when it grows up and not trained, becomes a pain in ass so the tie it up outside to be lonely and bark all the time...Then it winds up at the shelter....

I take off bike parts until it doesn't function, then put on just enough so it functions
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #756284
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
The people in that video are the problem. They know nothing about dogs. You can equate it to living with a trained mountain lion. Seems tame......until it's not.

These idiots leave their kids with a dog like this? Don't they read the newspapers and watch TV? Toddlers are killed by these dogs on a too regular basis and each of these fools say the same thing. My dog was a nice dog. Until it wasn't....

You only need a ban on dogs like this when the general population is too stupid to take the minimum precautions.

This is a real and growing problem and something needs to be done about it. Since I had my encounter I'm hearing from others about way too many attacks, most of which didn't end like mine.

I read the ban on pit bulls in the UK. That is an eye opener. It's not a ban on a breed as much as it is a ban on the type of look, behavior and risk that a dog presents. It is very broad and nearly any large breed dog can be taken and euthanized under the right circumstances. I hope it never comes to that here, but I see it coming anyway.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #756289
Yesterday at 07:01 PM
Yesterday at 07:01 PM
Michigan, USA
H
henryanthony Offline
BritBike Forum member
henryanthony  Offline
BritBike Forum member
H

Michigan, USA
Remember the band "Devo" from the late 60s? The name Devo comes from the concept of 'de-evolution'—the idea that instead of continuing to evolve, mankind has actually begun to regress, as evidenced by the dysfunction and herd mentality of American society. People who train animals to fight and participate in such activities for sport or profit are proving we are well along down that path to a self inflicted zombie apocalypse.

Last edited by henryanthony; Yesterday at 09:40 PM. Reason: Correction of posted information - my bad
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: henryanthony] #756296
Yesterday at 07:48 PM
Yesterday at 07:48 PM
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by henryanthony
Remember the band "Devo" from the late 60s? The name Devo comes from the concept of 'de-evolution'—the idea that instead of continuing to evolve, mankind has actually begun to regress, as evidenced by the dysfunction and herd mentality of American society. Folks in that video are proving we are well along down that path to a self inflicted zombie apocalypse.

Do you really believe what you just said?

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: henryanthony] #756300
Yesterday at 08:19 PM
Yesterday at 08:19 PM
scotland
triton thrasher Online content
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

scotland
Remember the band "Devo" from the late 60s?

1973–1991; 1996–present.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: henryanthony] #756301
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Online content

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Originally Posted by Lannis

The lady whose dog attacked us was very contrite and cooperative. She gave us her number and promised to pay the damages. However, ....
Cheers,
Bill

Isn't that always the story? We've heard it a hundred times, especially with fender-benders on the street ... the person whose fault it was is ALWAYS contrite, ALWAYS offers to pay and make it right, NEVER wants to call the cops ... and then, once away from the scene of the incident (crash, dog-bite, etc), suddenly there's no more direct contact, no "making it right", just lawyers and hints that "it wasn't MY fault, it was YOUR fault, see you in court".

In my whole life, I've had ONE guy "make it right" after screwing me up, and that's because we were going to the same college and he couldn't get away ....

Lannis

This is a simple matter of what my Army trained dad would have called CYA. Which stands for cover your ass. You CYA by calling the cops on the spot, by getting addresses and drivers license numbers, by recording witness accounts. Nobody else is going to do that for you, the police can't be bothered or trusted to CYA, they're too busy trying to cover their own asses.

Dogs are often a fashion statement..Pit bulls and large nasty looking dogs used to display a tough guy image..A friend just bough a Lab, he didn't get one local, he paid 1000 bucks to buy a puppy and have it shipped by air from Oregon to NY...The shelters are overflowing with unwanted dogs scheduled to die and yet people just go out and buy more dogs from breeders...And many get a cute puppy and then when it grows up and not trained, becomes a pain in ass so the tie it up outside to be lonely and bark all the time...Then it winds up at the shelter....

Yes I agree that's a shame, but people want pure bred dogs. Many, not all but many, purebreds have inherent problems associated with the breed or over breeding. No mongrel or mutt (or darn few) have these sorts of issues. Alll the dogs I ever knew who were rescued from the pound are/were great. It is a stats thing, maybe but some folks just like certain things in life. Dogs are just one more of those "things" to people.

Remember the band "Devo" from the late 60s? The name Devo comes from the concept of 'de-evolution'—the idea that instead of continuing to evolve, mankind has actually begun to regress, as evidenced by the dysfunction and herd mentality of American society. Folks in that video are proving we are well along down that path to a self inflicted zombie apocalypse.

Hmmmm..... Tho I see what you're saying (and agree) about dysfunction in our society, I'm not sure I'm willing to go that far, then again, I tend to look at people as tho we are pretty much all the same on many levels. We're the same on far more levels than we are different. I'll tell you what else I believe. I believe that you get back in life whatever you put out there. When my whole life-stance was [***] YOU, guess what I got? It took me decades to realize how far off base I really was. Decades and a few near death experiences, a total loss house fire, among other things that I now know came from a life of darkness. The simple fact is you (we) put things on your (our)self, it's like a reflection in a mirror. What you are is what you get, whatever you believe WILL be presented to you in the exact way you think. I've learned more than a couple real hard truths in my 60+ years of living, and that is one of them.
Think the old saying "you reap what you sow" came out of nowhere? Think again.

That said, do I like this video? Do I like what these guys are doing with these dogs? Not necessarily. But who am I to judge?

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: Hillbilly bike] #756307
Yesterday at 09:37 PM
Yesterday at 09:37 PM
Michigan, USA
H
henryanthony Offline
BritBike Forum member
henryanthony  Offline
BritBike Forum member
H

Michigan, USA

HB, Thanks for calling me out on this.

Regrettably, I must admit I watched only a bit of this video and was interrupted. I came back later and assumed incorrectly that the video was about training dogs to fight and I posted the quote above. I was prejudiced in my view and will be more careful in judging others and what I see in the media.

Last edited by henryanthony; Yesterday at 09:50 PM.
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #756310
Yesterday at 09:57 PM
Yesterday at 09:57 PM
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
E

Ewing. NJ
Regarding the "Devo" post, you should check out the movie from a few years back "Idiocracy." Devolution is its theme. Its a comedy where two folks picked for their mediocrity end up in suspended animation until years in the future. When they wake up they are the smartest people in the world. It is quite funny, and for a mainstream movie, very non-politically correct.

Ed from NJ

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #756316
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Being prepared. Well, I'm prepared to hear any and all methods of self defense when it comes to dog attacks. I refuse to surrender my park to idiots with their pit bulls. The cops patrol....about 4 times a year....mostly looking for kids smoking pot. Duh....

One method I've heard more than once is to grab the offending dog by the back legs. I would be tempted to do the old wishbone thing, though, admittedly.
Another was to poke at eyes. I think a finger deep in the ear of a dog might work. The thing is mostly to get the baastard to let go. But also, the dog needs to be made docile.

That seems like a tall order given the circumstances of most attacks. The most recent attack I heard of involved a toddler who was bitten and the dog refused to let go no matter what the owner did, like what I did, beating it with sticks and the like.

The owner ended up calling 911 and the dog only let go once it was shot twice and killed.

The toddler died a week later.

Way too common of a story, unfortunately.

Most dog vs dog attacks don't get reported or are not considered newsworthy. I've heard so many personal horror stories now of small dogs being killed by pit bulls, I'm very worried.

But I ride motorcycles and I'm used to being hyper-vigilant. Any pit bull or large dog within my range of vision is picked up quickly now. I avoid them, go the other way, pick up my dog, give a couple of zaps from my zapper to get the dog's attention and the owner just to let them know what they're in for if they misbehave.

Looking back on the attack, my instincts kicked in and I subdued the dog just in the right way......purely accidental, I am convinced. I grabbed the dog around it's chest with it's head behind me so it couldn't bite me, then squeezed with all my might. He couldn't breathe. He let out one big growl, then relaxed. He had met his alpha .....

I hope to God that never happens again and I don't really recommend this method because it is very dangerous.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: Hillbilly bike] #756332
16 hours ago
16 hours ago
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Offline

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia

I think there's something to it ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JdS-sSKsBc

Lannis

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #756334
15 hours ago
15 hours ago
Michigan, USA
H
henryanthony Offline
BritBike Forum member
henryanthony  Offline
BritBike Forum member
H

Michigan, USA
I was attacked by schoolmates when in middle school years ago.The worst of the gang of three ran at me with the intention of punching me in the face. On instinct, I fell flat on my back. The prime attacker flew over me and landed on the sidewalk in a great deal of pain. I think back to this time knowing that I could have kicked ass on all three of the pricks but I did not and ran away.

Today, I am 67, 6'4", 205 lb. and I ride my bicycle 25 miles a day even in cold weather. Now, if I am ever attacked by anyone or any thing, they are going to know that they made a mistake. I need to prove to myself that I should have and could have kicked the [***] out of those three assholes.

Any dog or person that attacks me, my family, my friends or my dog is going to experience my full wrath. I have teeth and will bite. I have claws and will go for the eyes. I will grab any dog and smash it to the ground and stomp it to death. That goes for people too.

In the mean time, I am a tree hugging hippie preaching love and peace. Just don't mess with me.

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #756335
15 hours ago
15 hours ago
Michigan, USA
H
henryanthony Offline
BritBike Forum member
henryanthony  Offline
BritBike Forum member
H

Michigan, USA
Being prepared. Well, I'm prepared to hear any and all methods of self defense when it comes to dog attacks. I refuse to surrender my park to idiots with their pit bulls. The cops patrol....about 4 times a year....mostly looking for kids smoking pot. Duh....

Good job Bill. Nothing wrong in reaching down and pulling up your natural rage to defend your self and loved ones. I think we need more of this. Trust your body. It knows more than your mind.

Heard a rapper talk about this. He said "Don't mess with an old man. Old man can't run. Old man will just kill you.

Last edited by henryanthony; 15 hours ago.
Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: henryanthony] #756337
15 hours ago
15 hours ago
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Well'ard Rocker
Lannis  Offline

Well'ard Rocker

Central Virginia

Any dog or person that attacks me, my family, my friends or my dog is going to experience my full wrath. I have teeth and will bite. I have claws and will go for the eyes. I will grab any dog and smash it to the ground and stomp it to death. That goes for people too.

In the mean time, I am a tree hugging hippie preaching love and peace. Just don't mess with me.

I'm pretty sure that ANYONE, despite their opinion of dog breeds, despite their assessment of the risk of being attacked, despite any and all preaching of peace and love, despite their opinion of equality, diversity, tolerance, etc .... will fight hard with every weapon or ability at their command if they or theirs are under a deadly attack by a vicious dog, other animal, or human.

They may not say so (and that's OK), but they will.

Lannis

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: Lannis] #756339
15 hours ago
15 hours ago
Michigan, USA
H
henryanthony Offline
BritBike Forum member
henryanthony  Offline
BritBike Forum member
H

Michigan, USA
Well Lannis, I don't think that ANYONE will fight to the fullest extent of their abilities. Especially if they have never been confronted with the necessity to do so. I did not realize this until the three jerks attacked me. Now I know different. It's an education not taught in school or by parents today or in my day. Everyone thought everything was cool. It was not and is not.

Re: Pit Bulls! [Re: HawaiianTiger] #756343
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
South cone
R
reverb Offline
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

South cone
...most people will be petrified by the fear factor.
Also Henry you are a big guy, I am not and have a damaged body, so I cannot defend myself as you say. May be you would not say the previous stuff if you were built smaller.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership