BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum
| Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
oilyrag
oilyrag
Lancashire UK
Show All Member Profiles 
ShoutChat Box
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBikers, just sayin..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Newest Members
Vidane, BenM, New_Warrior, Chad Bradshaw, Bell47
10661 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 96
NickL 49
Popular Topics(Views)
876,424 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics66,573
Posts668,466
Members10,661
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
72 registered members (Adam M.), 816 guests, and 170 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 48 of 51 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 51
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #748901
09/12/18 4:07 pm
09/12/18 4:07 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline OP

DOPE

ohio, usa
kurt, the scooter tires are all 16 inches, but not V-rated. motorcycle fashion for sport tires has moved on to 17-inch tires. i think most are S and T rated.

fernando, where is the oil coming from under the seat? your OIF shouldn't have anything leaking up there.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #748921
09/12/18 6:54 pm
09/12/18 6:54 pm
Bolton Lancs UK
A
Andy Higham Offline
BritBike Forum member
Andy Higham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
A

Bolton Lancs UK
Avon make the roadrider V rated tyres in 150/80 x 16 (R), MT90 x 16 (R) and 120/80 x 16 (F or R)

https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/tyre-details/59/avon-roadrider-avon-tyres/?cartype=motorcycle

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #748935
09/12/18 9:05 pm
09/12/18 9:05 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
andy, at the moment i'm looking for rims that will let me run the racing goodyear front runners. they take a 2.5-inch rim, and i can find those for both front and back. the avons will fit the 2.5-inch rim, but they would be just outside of the recommended fitting.

the front runners are pretty skinny tires, no good for real-world motorcycling, but i'm thinking they would cut rolling resistance in a straight line on an asphalt surface. because they're racing tires, they're not limited by speed ratings, according to the loring tech people. in fact, the 4-inch versions are actually labelled for 300 mph. goodyear tells me they didn't bother labelling the 2.5-inch tires because nobody cares.

Attached Files temp.kil.PNG

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #748971
09/13/18 1:32 am
09/13/18 1:32 am
South cone
R
reverb Offline
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

South cone
...hi Kevin, I am referring to the breather hose. This bike has the hose and the PO cut it under the seat; however, as mentioned, the hose is dry...
When I opened the primary and found that hole, no doubt that breathes that way, but now with the hole filled and nothing obstructing the hose; should be breathe this other way.
I really have a big oil leak; the 2 culprits that I think is the rotary pump (too much oil pumping) and that the breather is not working for some reason that escapes me.
Could be something inside the crankcase? May be silly question, but these ones do not have a seal on the crank (PS) so should be breathing right. I put a LED torch to the hose and looks dry; or always would look that way?
May be the breather is ok and work that way and the problem is that the head is bend or bad torqued and that the tappet do not have the O ring but leaks too much.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #752404
10/12/18 1:27 am
10/12/18 1:27 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
fernando, if you have an oil leak under the seat but the breather tube is dry, it has to be coming from something else.

where is the most forward oily spot on the motor? oil will mostly blow backwards, so the most forward messy bit is likely your problem area.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #757670
11/30/18 9:27 pm
11/30/18 9:27 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
well, i just bought this:

[Linked Image]

17 x 3.00, a half-inch wider than the 2.5-inch wheel i already have, but vastly easier to fit, i think.

thank you, othertom, for suggesting that i use a front wheel from something on the back. ^^^this one is from a 1990 katana, a suzuki GSX 750, and i'm thinking it will work for both front and back.

has a simple bolt circle for the two front discs, and i can bolt a disc on one and a sprocket on the other. no cush drive, but i've been running without one so far and haven't self-destructed yet.

[Linked Image]

it;'s way narrow, so i don't think it will need to be cut, but i haven't taken the race bike apart yet to measure the wheel i have on it now. but i think it will be okay. if it turns out to be too narrow, i can get a simple doughnut spacer turned up to extend the sprocket out a bit. much simpler than trying to manufacture a new sprocket carrier.

the race tire people at goodyear tell me that the 22 x 2.5-inch front runner drag tires will fit on a 3.00-inch rim with no difficulty.

added

just bought another one. japanese stuff is way cheaper than brit, even for quality parts like these.

Last edited by kevin roberts; 11/30/18 11:05 pm.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #757680
12/01/18 12:08 am
12/01/18 12:08 am
State of absurdity
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

State of absurdity
Yeah, the Japanese stuff is easy to find, not expensive and decent quality = ready supply of hot rod parts...

"Don't be alarmed ladies and gentlemen, these chains are made of chrome steel" Carl Denham, 1932 ...
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #757848
12/02/18 5:43 pm
12/02/18 5:43 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
i'm approaching the end of what i can do to this bike. wheels and tires, tidier pipes, maybe reposition the left tank so i can contort myself lower.

i could put a hardtail on it and rake the front end out to lengthen and lower it, but tbats not real interezting to me. as it is, i can return this machine to factory stock just by putting the old partz back. the custom frame route is for people who want something different from what im here for.

but i could keep what i have and put the BSA fairing on it, and see how it would do in MPS. that would be interesting. but i want all i can get running nekked first.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #764580
02/05/19 1:22 pm
02/05/19 1:22 pm
UK
P
Project ROTM Offline
BritBike Forum member
Project ROTM  Offline
BritBike Forum member
P

UK
I have only just stumbled across this section of the forum.

This looks like an awesome build, so i am going to start from the very beginning. I might have caught up by this time next year.

Christian

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #764621
02/06/19 12:02 am
02/06/19 12:02 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
lol

its the never-ending-story

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766061
02/21/19 7:28 pm
02/21/19 7:28 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
changing out the wheels. front first, because it's way easier. the old disc-brake front end has a flange for holding the caliper. i wanted to lose that, but really didn't want to grind it off, because i might need to go back to a disc some time for venues that require a brake on the front. so i looked for a right-side disc brake slider to put on the left, but all i could find were two left side sliders from a conical:

[Linked Image]

lets me ditch the old disc-brake slider:

[Linked Image]

i have a NOS front disc-brake spindle with the larger diameter, but can be cut down to fit both the wheel bearing and the conical forks. the width is still fine:

[Linked Image]

have a pair of new caps coming from Steadfast as i speak, as these previous ones only fit the bigger axle:

[Linked Image]

all of this will let me slip the 80's katana wheel into the forks, and let me put on a smaller 17-inch tire:

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

the conical sliders with the smaller axle are actually a better mechanical solution than a second disc brake slider, because the ID of the stock katana wheel bearings is pretty small. with a smaller axle i can get a better selection of wheel bearings. might have to make the axle stepped, but it's lots easier to make the shaft smaller to fit the bearing and the sliders both, than to make it smaller for the bearing inboard but keep it bigger to fit the sliders outboard.

next is a hone and new shells:

[Linked Image]

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766077
02/22/19 12:36 am
02/22/19 12:36 am
State of absurdity
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

State of absurdity
You are a one man speed show, a class of you're own..Is it lonely at the top? LOL

"Don't be alarmed ladies and gentlemen, these chains are made of chrome steel" Carl Denham, 1932 ...
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766082
02/22/19 2:15 am
02/22/19 2:15 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
what else is there do? be responsible?

you ain't that far behind, you know.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766083
02/22/19 2:25 am
02/22/19 2:25 am
State of absurdity
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

State of absurdity
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
what else is there do? be responsible?

you ain't that far behind, you know.

Close, might be either bike in front depending on this and that......Responsibility is over rated...

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766112
02/22/19 3:25 pm
02/22/19 3:25 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
my goal in all this is 140 mph, naked, gasoline, NA, and production frame. nobody has ever gone 140 without aero, fuel, boost, or a custom-built chassis. i haven't thought any further than that.

i think that's doable under the usual record conditions, which is to say, exceptionally favorable. all my fastest times are with super unusually dense air-- pushing RAD 108 -- and the obligatory tailwind. i may be able to get something more from the engine, but the biggest hurdle is clearly the slipstream. that's the whole reason i'm going with the foo-foo wheels, because the little bit lower machine overlaps everything just a little bit more and reduces the space under the machine for turbulence just a little bit more. with pipes tucked in just a little bit more, and everything else tucked out of the way, it might just do it.

i'm bemused by the air density. i took my meter outside here at about 15F the other day and the density was only 105. that's typical here at 1300 feet above sea level on a clear fair weather day in the summer, but i had thought that the chill would have had a more obvious effect. not so.

once back in wilmington when the bike was less focused, i was trying to run between thunderstorms. the air was only 98 percent and i recall i was having trouble breaking 110.

all the fuel-injected engine-management computer-controlled people at loring don't care about air density, because they can get most of the horsepower back by tweaking their curves. all we have are screwdrivers and wires, and i get impatient when everybody stands around in the early morning while the RAD is going away.

right now in the shop it's 48 F and RAD 103, typical for the february thaw.

[Linked Image]

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766188
02/23/19 12:48 pm
02/23/19 12:48 pm
State of absurdity
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

State of absurdity
Yes, air density....the salt snobs turn their nose up at east coast pavement racers because of higher air density... wink

When my bike set the last track record at Wilmington before the place closed, it was July, 80 degrees with high humidity...As usual I didn't rejet the carbs or anything else..It really seems by bike doesn't care about air density despite knowing it does matter...Carbs have one advantage over port injection, evaporation cooling as the fuel atomizes in the intake tract, a denser air charge..This is slightly offset by fuel displacing air but it's still a net gain. That's why for top end power , carbs can match injection for power in certain situations like drag or land speed racing..
At Loring the biggest factor is always the wind...friend or foe...

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766199
02/23/19 2:24 pm
02/23/19 2:24 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa

on the fast day after sunrise the wind was 11 mph straight down the runway.

i discovered my chain was tight while lubing it, and then had to change the chain out while the wind was going away.

your bike seems to be run best in that region where changes in air density correspond to the carb's ability to compensate. i'm running keihins. dunno whether that makes a difference

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766221
02/23/19 7:29 pm
02/23/19 7:29 pm
Nova Scotia, Canada
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K

Nova Scotia, Canada
Kevin,
Your front end and new wheel look good and you'll be thrilled to lose the inner tube! I hope to see you in Loring in July, although I won't have a Brit bike to run this year as they are both in Colorado.
O.T.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766256
02/24/19 2:08 am
02/24/19 2:08 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
what about the bridgestone? you're bringing that, right?

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766306
02/24/19 4:47 pm
02/24/19 4:47 pm
Nova Scotia, Canada
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K

Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes. I intend to be there with the Bridgestone, but I'm only looking for a mph or 2 to break my 113 mph record. In order to really get more hp from that bike, I would need to lift the cylinders a couple of mm (raises the exhaust and intake ports) and mill the tops of the barrels by the same amount, plus use larger carbs with the expectancy of a very short lifespan with almost no spares available. Or I could add some streamlining if I could find something and move into the MPS class. The problem is that I will have to compete against water cooled RZ (LC) Yamahas and later model motocross bikes if someone brings one. The 2 strokes are not eligible to enter the Classic Class.

By the way, I'm figuring that you will need about 14% more hp or an equivalent reduction in aero drag to reach 140 mph. If I've learned anything about landspeed racing, it is that we should just hope to go about 1 more mph after we've achieved a record. It's just not that easy!

Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 02/24/19 4:51 pm.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: koncretekid] #766309
02/24/19 5:27 pm
02/24/19 5:27 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
[Linked Image]

you have to admit it would be a beautiful machine if you went that way.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766568
02/27/19 12:30 am
02/27/19 12:30 am
Nova Scotia, Canada
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K

Nova Scotia, Canada
Nothing that another $500 plus windshield plus paint plus many hours in mounting wouldn't fix! But you could so the same thing with yours.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766573
02/27/19 1:27 am
02/27/19 1:27 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline OP

DOPE

DOPE

ohio, usa
i did it already and have carefully forgotten the money

[Linked Image]

bought one of these from airtech. have the windshield and even a seat.

i'm saving them for the roadrace machine, but the frames for the two bikes are the same. once fabbed up i could switch between machines in an hour or two.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766599
02/27/19 12:18 pm
02/27/19 12:18 pm
Asheville, NC
Mike Baker Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Baker  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Asheville, NC
What class(s) are you planning to run the bike in?

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #766602
02/27/19 12:41 pm
02/27/19 12:41 pm
State of absurdity
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

State of absurdity
My rider has a fairing like that above..He wanted me to install it...I have not..

Page 48 of 51 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 51

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership