BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Jack Adams
Jack Adams
Noblesville, IN
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
33 registered members (AML), 285 guests, and 426 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10
10418 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 86
Rohan 82
Triless 80
reverb 76
Popular Topics(Views)
709,930 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,303
Posts664,975
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BSA A65 Clutch differences info required please. #752167
10/10/18 1:08 pm
10/10/18 1:08 pm
england uk.
B
billy banger Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
billy banger  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B

england uk.
Hello Everyone, I am swapping out a clutch on a A65 engine which i think is circa 1965 Engine number A65 .E. 20xx I have the primary cover off and there is part of the clutch missing, namely the plates and outer cover plus cups, springs and screws and its a four spring one and i don't have an outer plate plus it looks like the plates are different on the tabs because my locking tool for the three spring clutch will not fit the four spring one. I have another motor and i have removed the clutch, chain and front engine sprocket and i wish to put the three spring set up on the A65 E Motor. Is this a straight swap out or is there something i should know about. Also the E motor has an open windings alternator which is five wire plus the rotor has no woodruff key fitted but has a thick washer with a peg in it which locates into the rotor and it is broached to go on the crank and it looks factory. Anyone know anything about this.
The other engine has an encapsulated Alternator and it also is a five wire. Is there anything special about these alternators, are they for ET Transfer ?. The encapsulated alternator also has a thick washer with the peg and is broached. Both rotors have three peg holes in them. One has the three holes in a triangle pattern An S by one hole An R by another hole and the other hole has a M by it. Is this for dialing in the fluxation of the magnets on a ET set up. The rotor off the E motor has two holes close to each other and one hole further away with an S next to it. If i decide to swap the alternator out for a two wire encapsulated one and i swap out the rotor, is the engine sprocket a different one to the keway rotor type. Any info gratefully received. Cheers. Billy.

Last edited by billy banger; 10/10/18 3:50 pm.
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: BSA A65 Clutch differences info required please. [Re: billy banger] #752190
10/10/18 3:54 pm
10/10/18 3:54 pm
Stone Creek OH USA
R
Rich B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rich B  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Stone Creek OH USA
The complete 3 spring can be swapped for the 4 spring complete. There is some differences in the slots of a 3 spring versus 4 spring is why you are having issues with your locking tool.

Both alternators are 5 wire ET alternators. The timing of the rotors with the pegged disc is shown in detail in the service manual I don't remember the details at the moment. Actually, I don't even remember what I had for breakfast frown. But, BA did explain which holes to use in the service manual.

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
Re: BSA A65 Clutch differences info required please. [Re: billy banger] #752209
10/10/18 6:49 pm
10/10/18 6:49 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
The non ET rotor should engage on the shaft, so long as the shaft has a key way cut in it, I think this should work with the ET engine sprocket. but are you really going to use the original sprocket with a new / different clutch? Dont waste money on a new chain if you do.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: BSA A65 Clutch differences info required please. [Re: billy banger] #752245
10/10/18 11:42 pm
10/10/18 11:42 pm
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
The doweled rotor and spacer ARE for ET ignition, but will work just fine with battery/coil ignition. The rotor should still have a keyway for a woodruff key, so this setup will work without the dowel if you fit a woodruff key. Also, it must have a matching crank sprocket, which is thinner than the non-ET crank sprocket by the thickness of the spacer.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: BSA A65 Clutch differences info required please. [Re: billy banger] #752253
10/11/18 1:10 am
10/11/18 1:10 am
Isle of Wight, UK
K
koan58 Offline
BritBike Forum member
koan58  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K

Isle of Wight, UK
It is all ET stuff, unencapsulated early original. The other probably later aftermarket.
Read stuff like
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/633297/1/repairing-an-et-ignition-system

It's a challenging prospect, but if you're familiar with Brits anyway, take it on! Otherwise Stuart has sensible advice.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership