BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Jack Adams
Jack Adams
Noblesville, IN
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
33 registered members (AML), 294 guests, and 419 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10
10418 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 86
Rohan 82
Triless 80
reverb 76
Popular Topics(Views)
709,930 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,303
Posts664,975
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Side stand mounting lug/clamp disfigurement #751751
10/06/18 5:34 pm
10/06/18 5:34 pm
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Ohio
I did go looking for this subject clear back to '06, all I found was about broken off or missing lugs...

While verifying the part of the clamp that the stand swivels on fits to the frame correctly, of the two I have, neither one fit!

So I got them out into the sunlight and found they both have been ..... torqued around and out of round?

One has the bolt holes not parallel to each other, the other has the holes sort of parallel, but stepped?

Then I got a bare frame and tried to see if the clamp would fit squarely around the frame tube, and saw they both were no longer round squarely to the diameter of the tube. Like a "U" with only the sides bent in one direction?

Are these made of cast iron or forged steel? Obviously some machining has been done...
Had I better make sure to use a lot of heat to make sure they bend easy? Cherry red or glowing orange?

Anybody have thoughts or warnings or ideas about this?

HELP!?

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Side stand mounting lug/clamp disfigurement [Re: Rickman] #751753
10/06/18 6:11 pm
10/06/18 6:11 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
I replaced my 71 A65 side stand mount, ground what was left of the old one back to the frame tube, bought a replacement lug/ strap from "Grins ", it looked like an open armed U shape this had to be heated and massaged to fit, the U closed around the frame tube. drilled and pinned to final fit. then welded on once happy with the position.
Not sure what bike you are referring to but the principle will be the same.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 10/06/18 6:12 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: Side stand mounting lug/clamp disfigurement [Re: gavin eisler] #751756
10/06/18 6:27 pm
10/06/18 6:27 pm
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Ohio
Thanks Gavin,
I'm still working on my BSA A-10 projects...

On all three of the frames I will be using, the top part of the clamp has already been brazed or welded to the frame.

..... I don't see how pinning the lower part is possible, but I am not well versed on these possibilities...

Re: Side stand mounting lug/clamp disfigurement [Re: Rickman] #751757
10/06/18 6:41 pm
10/06/18 6:41 pm
CALIFORNIA
S
slow learner Offline
BritBike Forum member
slow learner  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

CALIFORNIA
Sounds like you are dealing with a pre-unit BSA two piece stand lug. It is very common for the removable piece to be bent. It is also common for the frame tube where it mounts to be distorted if not broken. It's a weak design and could not support the weight of someone sitting on the bike when the stand is down. I lack the knowledge to comment on the composition of the lug but have seen dull red heating used when straitening foot pegs etc. Probably the less heat the better. After replacing that section of frame tube on an A10 I had the bottom part of the lub also brazed in place.

Laurence Luce
Re: Side stand mounting lug/clamp disfigurement [Re: Rickman] #751765
10/06/18 8:43 pm
10/06/18 8:43 pm
Bolton Lancs UK
A
Andy Higham Online content
BritBike Forum member
Andy Higham  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
A

Bolton Lancs UK
The A10 I used to own had a broken half lug so it was impossible to fit a stand.
I made a bracket from 10mm steel plate that bolted to the bottom engine plate to frame bolt, a Triumph side stand pivoted on this bracket.
When not in use the stand was inside the left frame rail, the toe protruding under the pillion footrest loop

BSA B31 500cc "Stargazer"
Greeves 200cc "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360 Challenger
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500cc sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500cc "Llareggub"
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 OK Supreme
'36 OK Supreme
Re: Side stand mounting lug/clamp disfigurement [Re: Andy Higham] #751853
10/07/18 5:47 pm
10/07/18 5:47 pm
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Ohio
Thanks Laurence,
Yes, all 5 A10 frames I have show that distortion to some effect, one even has had the lower clamp/lug welded to the frame, but that isn't one I plan to use, as the neck was raked.

The other one I don't plan to use now apparently was involved with a front ender; the top backbone tube has an ark, and the down tubes are kinked near their top. Such a shame, as this is the most correct and complete frame of the bunch.

Cut-off gas tank centering brackets/buffer mount and tank mount center nut fixture, front seat mount, one even had the rear top engine bracket mount cross tube cracked, almost broken out.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership