BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
gibgo12
gibgo12
Evergeen, CO
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
57 registered members (998John), 274 guests, and 392 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
blayde54, Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock, pkuzyk
10477 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 83
franko 78
Triless 62
Popular Topics(Views)
748,286 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,843
Posts670,546
Members10,477
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wheel weights #751358
10/03/18 12:23 pm
10/03/18 12:23 pm
Perth, Western Australia
H
Howley Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Howley  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
H

Perth, Western Australia
Hi guys,

What is the 'classic' alternative to stick-on wheel weights? I've got a roll of thick lead flashing, can that be wrapped around a spoke and crimped? Melted down into crimp-on split tubes?
How would Mister 1940 have done it? Fishing sinkers?

Luke

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Wheel weights [Re: Howley] #751361
10/03/18 12:56 pm
10/03/18 12:56 pm
Wisconsin, USA
F
franko Offline

BritBike Forum member
franko  Offline

BritBike Forum member
F

Wisconsin, USA
Some thing similar to this https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs65...g2afq3QIVi7XACh0ZcwMrEAQYByABEgLQfvD_BwE or solder wrapped around the spokes.
Problem with the solder now-a-days is stupid people pull it off the spokes when looking at the bike.

Re: Wheel weights [Re: franko] #751367
10/03/18 1:20 pm
10/03/18 1:20 pm
NY
OriginalScott Online content
BritBike Forum member
OriginalScott  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NY
Make sure if you get the split weights that they are tin and not steel. The steel weights like Motion Pro sells are for HD spoke nipples which are much thicker than on our bikes. The steel weights cannot be crimped in place. K&L makes some really nice tin weights that can be crimped while on the spoke so when you slide them down onto the nipple they are nice and tight. I used the K&L tin weights on my rear wheel recently to balance out a rim lock.

[Linked Image]

Scott

Re: Wheel weights [Re: Howley] #751437
10/04/18 1:17 am
10/04/18 1:17 am
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
Lead weights used to be quite common. Do-it-yourselfers might have used fishing weights, but motorcycle shops carried assortments of lead weights made for that purpose. Cheap and heavy, but lead has been banned just about everywhere, for good reason I reckon - I'm not sure you can even get lead weights for fishing anymore (not a fisherman). It's hard to get a lot of weight on with stick-ons. Fortunately there are alternatives on the market, like the one mentioned above by Scott.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: Wheel weights [Re: Howley] #751472
10/04/18 11:14 am
10/04/18 11:14 am
Perth, Western Australia
H
Howley Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Howley  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
H

Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm. Going to cast my own crimp on weights in a block of wood.

Re: Wheel weights [Re: Howley] #751475
10/04/18 11:25 am
10/04/18 11:25 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Online content

DOPE
kevin roberts  Online Content

DOPE

ohio, usa
try lost wax

some candles and fine clay from a bar ditch

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: Wheel weights [Re: Howley] #751501
10/04/18 3:10 pm
10/04/18 3:10 pm
S.E. Ohio
H
HillbillyBarr Offline
BritBike Forum member
HillbillyBarr  Offline
BritBike Forum member
H

S.E. Ohio
A friend bought those weights like Original Scot posted but they weren't wide enough to fit over his spokes. So to balance his wheel I used solder. I just spun the wheel and when it kept stopping at the same spot I wound the solder to the spokes 180 degrees opposite of it. Did it to a couple spokes and it came out fine. With solder you can make the weight heavier or lighter by just using a longer or shorter piece of solder. We rode the bike for a long time and the solder never came off. Hope this helps

Re: Wheel weights [Re: Mark Z] #751592
10/05/18 8:06 am
10/05/18 8:06 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
Lead metal is not dangerous unless it came out of a muzzel at high velocity.
You can eat it and it just comes out the other end.
Been done hundreds of times .
Lead oxide is a totaly different animal.
Lead metal got banned because of all the chemically ignorant idiot humanities students protesting to ban some thing they knew absolutely nothing about.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Wheel weights [Re: Howley] #751742
10/06/18 4:01 pm
10/06/18 4:01 pm
Palm Bay, Fl.
DamienE Offline
BritBike Forum member
DamienE  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Palm Bay, Fl.
I used a set of slotted brass weights and they seem to work well. They fit well over the spokes then use a hex bolt to clamp down on the spoke nipple. A little blue loctite keeps the hex bolt snug

Re: Wheel weights [Re: BSA_WM20] #751848
10/07/18 5:22 pm
10/07/18 5:22 pm
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Lead metal got banned because of all the chemically ignorant idiot humanities students protesting to ban some thing they knew absolutely nothing about.

That may well be true, but the ostensible motivation had more to do with the hazard to those involved in the production of lead than to the end users.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: Wheel weights [Re: Howley] #751917
10/08/18 9:12 am
10/08/18 9:12 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
The very first question my Chemical metallurgy lecturer asked
"what is common to all metal oxides"
Answer
They are all alkaline, abrasive and poisonious .
The very first removal of lead was tetra ethyl lead from fuel which had nothing to do with the health of anybody apart from the petrol refineries shareholders bank balances.
The total lie "health benefits" PR campaign associated with unleaded made it fashionable to deamonise lead.
Tetra ethyl lead is high toxic but you would have to drink several gallons in order to get a toxic dose & I rather think some other hydrocarbons would get you before the lead did.
Then like anything that gets deamonised it becomes the subject of intensive research and when anything goes under the microscope problems with it's handleing & use become apparent.
This can be very beneficial because regulations can be written & enforced to reduce risk, which is good.
But knee [***] banning is detrimental, particularly when there are few to no other product as suitable for the particular application.
SO banning sheet lead roofing was a good idea due to dissolution is carbonic acid rain.\
Banning it from being used as flashing was a stupid idea

And yes miing & refining lead can be hazardous to the health of the people doing it , as is zinc, iron, aluminium, gold ( extremely toxic ) copper , tin and every other metal we mine as a mineral and refine into a metal.
Lead is no more dangerous that any other metal and a lot less dangerous than copper or gold.
FWIW I studied lead poisioning and was responsible for the biological monitoring of over 2000 workers in our secondary lead refinery & battery factories for lead poisoning .
Lead in human bodies ties up haemoglobin and produces secondary anemic problems.
In adults no big deal, in children, catastrophic but the lead has to be in a form the body can adsorb which is most commonly as an oxide, sulfate/sulfide or carbonate .
Next time you see a rusted wreck of a pre 1970 vehicle,have a good look at the fuel tank.
They were made from terne plate ( like tin plate but using lead in place of tin ) and will barely have any rust while the rest of the vehicle is just about gone back to a more stable chemical composition.

And then we have things like wheel weights, nothing works as good as lead both on car wheels & motorcycle wheels.

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership