BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Mar1doc
Mar1doc
Lincolnshire UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
57 registered members (998John), 271 guests, and 394 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
blayde54, Davenz13, Sean65, Rerock, pkuzyk
10477 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 83
franko 78
Triless 62
Popular Topics(Views)
748,286 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,843
Posts670,546
Members10,477
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A10 center stands and springs #751044
09/30/18 10:22 pm
09/30/18 10:22 pm
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Ohio
Well, I've come up against another hinderance to assembling these A10 projects;

Just on general principles, how long overall are the center stand springs? I have one spring off the bike, which is 5.5 inches long, but it seems to me to be well short of the purch...

And I've just noticed the purches on the "early" A7 frames are on the right side, and along about the frames starting with the FA7 designation, the frame purch is on the left.

Even my '55 CB34 frame has the purch on the right...

Since I didn't notice this before, I now need to find 3 A10 center stands with the purches on the right.

I wish I could find 3 side stands, but they are horribly pricey!
Speaking of the side stands, are the side stand purch clamps, the upper part w/o the blade for the stand, are they brazed to the frames, and if so, are they also pinned? I need to replace one because of sliding contact with the ground, and this one will not keep the bolt located; putting the bike on the side stand resulted in almost immediately pulling the bolt through the threads, and the bike almost falling over.

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: A10 center stands and springs [Re: Rickman] #751115
10/01/18 4:25 pm
10/01/18 4:25 pm
CALIFORNIA
S
slow learner Offline
BritBike Forum member
slow learner  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

CALIFORNIA
'55 A10, '56 GS, '60 GS spring is on right on all. 5.5" sounds about right for spring length. Can be a struggle to engage a spring but takes significant spring tension to keep the stand from sagging when in the retracted position. Upper portion of side stand lug is brazed onto the frame rail. Not a bad idea to braze on the bottom portion too. Never sit on a pre-unit BSA when it is on the side stand.

Laurence Luce
Re: A10 center stands and springs [Re: slow learner] #751166
10/02/18 12:38 am
10/02/18 12:38 am
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Ohio
Originally Posted by slow learner
Never sit on a pre-unit BSA when it is on the side stand.

Laurence,
After seeing so very many pre-unit machines sitting on their center stands, with the stand WAY forward of where it should be, BARELY on the last end of the ramp, with both tires/wheels sitting on the ground, AND hearing so very many stories about pinched or crimped frame rails, so that the side stand clamp has to be brazed, or the frame section had to be replaced, it SHOULD be obvious to anyone researching this, that the stands should only ever support the machines' weight, never an unknown weighted and moving, rocking person!

Thanks for the input on the spring length, I have an old drum brake tool that has a spring slide insertion appliance on it that I will use to help keep my fingers away from DANGER!
Now, to find the correct center stands...

Its too bad I never found those two side stands I lost along the roads in SoCal, oh those MANY years ago...

Re: A10 center stands and springs [Re: Rickman] #751453
10/04/18 5:01 am
10/04/18 5:01 am
Queensland, Australia
MikesClassics Online content

BritBike Forum member
MikesClassics  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Queensland, Australia
Just checked a NOS one https://mikesclassiccyclespares.com/product/67-4816/
Measures 5 1/4" on the inside at outer most edges

Re: A10 center stands and springs [Re: MikesClassics] #751738
10/06/18 2:59 pm
10/06/18 2:59 pm
Ohio
R
Rickman Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Ohio
Mornin' Brett,
Thanks for looking and measuring, but if the pic and description I get from the link is correct, I see a plunger frame center stand, and none of my bikes are plungers.

And is the hole in the center tab on the crossbar the spring anchor point? All of the center stands I need have their spring... hooks? on the right side of the right leg of the stand.
Brett

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership