BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Buckshot1
Buckshot1
Diamond Springs, Kalifornia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (AML), 267 guests, and 422 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10
10418 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 84
Rohan 82
Triless 80
reverb 76
Popular Topics(Views)
709,902 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,303
Posts664,967
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
End Play Tolerance & Case Halves Sealant #750955
09/29/18 7:30 pm
09/29/18 7:30 pm
Wyoming, USA
D
Doug F Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Doug F  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

Wyoming, USA
Howdy All,
Usually I'm here asking advice from all you you seasoned builders. This time I'm happy to return the favor by posting some info. I hope to be useful for you all.
I'm sure I'm not the first to come across this and it's more than likely been posted before at some point but here it is .
rebuilding my 1966 A65 Lightning , Putting the case halves together checked & shimmed the end play of the crankshaft to just a hair under .002"
Would've preferred .001" but that's as close as I could get with the shim options in the kit, and with the rotor & gears &spacer torqued.
Great ! used the Locktite 518 with the primer/ actuator sealed it up let sit for a day. come back put the rotor & gears on recheck tolerance & felt noticeably more wiggle.
now it reads over .005" "what"? OK pull it apart again sealant is all intact still on 1 surface so I figured I could leave it there just for putting together to get the end play correct .
Not a good Idea as I found putting in together 3 times after adjusting the shims to what should've been correct & getting different readings each time. I figure it has to be because
even thought it looks good the sealant must be balling up somewhere causing the differences. My bad learned a lesson there.
So Finally getting to the main point here I pealed up a strip of the 518 still intact & measured it with the micrometer , it came to .003" & compressed down with pretty good tensnion to .025"
this I measured in 3 different places of the long strip I pealed up & it;s exactly the same everywhere.
So it's considerably more than I expected & gives me a sound basis of what to set the tolerance to before adding the sealant in order to get the .015"-.025" that I'm looking for.
Hopefully I'll get this done finally one last time & get on with things.basically i'll make sure it's at a good warm temperature, set the play as close to just over zero tolerance as I can
which I figure will mean little or no movement of the needle on the gauge, but still rotates "Freely" without drag . Without the sealant
I may even let it cool over night & recheck for my own sake so I have a good idea of what expansion to expect .
Do it all again with the sealant and everything & hopefully that'll be that. I'll check it again to verify of course.
I'll Let you know how it all comes out. Hope this is of some use for you all. I'd be interested to know what you think .
CHEERS!

Nothing Like getting those OLD things running like NEW
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: End Play Tolerance & Case Halves Sealant [Re: Doug F] #750967
09/29/18 11:18 pm
09/29/18 11:18 pm
Aus
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Offline
BritBike Forum member
N

Aus
I normally build them as just able to turn by hand, then with welseal it gives you a thou or so. 518 is a bit thicker so a couple of thou is to be expected.
Remember when they warm up they grow anyway, 5+thou at operating temp is not unusual.
It makes no difference to how they perform, i've stripped motors with 20+ thou endfloat that were running very well.
Once it gets much over that it may wear the primary chain or chew into the oil pump a bit.

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition................
Bring in the 'Comfy Chair'
Re: End Play Tolerance & Case Halves Sealant [Re: Doug F] #751526
10/04/18 6:18 pm
10/04/18 6:18 pm
Wyoming, USA
D
Doug F Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Doug F  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

Wyoming, USA
Thanks, NickL
good feedback . I know I'm overthinking this & tend to do that with everything . My Dad was a mechanical engineer & that's just kind of the way I was raised.
This is the first engine I've done so it's good to know that there's leeway for some slop. I was actually concerned with the extra play causing damage to the new bushing
& extra vibration from the crank knocking back & forth . Still I think it's a good thing to know what to expect when applying the sealant & setting initial tolerance .
Your input about how you usually do it I think verifies how I I've determined to go about it after some trial & error. Makes sense

Thanks Again
Cheers!

Nothing Like getting those OLD things running like NEW

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership