BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tribsauk
Tribsauk
Death row next in line norfolk
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ariel Blog
#723663 01/29/18 5:41 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi Folks,

I'm new here, just getting to look around. I've got a few Ariel's in my shed - a 1951 SQ4 that I've rebuilt and have owned since 2011; a 1942 W/NG that I repatriated after spending its first 70 years or so in Italy, and a 1958 Huntmaster that is waiting sapce on the bench. I blog all the work I do on them which may be of use to some folks here:

https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.co.uk/

cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four, Masquerading D3 Bantam, '58 Huntmaster, '42 W/NG, http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Ariel Blog
Simon.Holyfield #723708 01/30/18 3:42 am
Novice poster
Novice poster
Hi Simon
I have just returned here myself after a decade or so.
When I was a young fellow a couple of years or so ago; I had a 52 Sq4.
I rode it every alternate weekend, and on the other weekends I would replace the head gasket. It would always blow at either 7 o'clock on the left rear pot or 5 o'clock on the right rear pot. Tended to toast some lower body parts.
I discovered that the steel studs expanded differently from the aluminum head and the result was that the aluminum always crowned up around the base of the stud. So file the head and block down a few thou and the new gasket would seal and run until the engine cooled down. Then after startup the next time or so, the gasket would blow again. I never thought of it before but the compression must have been increasing over time.
If you think of torquing the stud, it was a poor set up as half of them just bear on on of the fins of the block.
Since you have some experience, have you any comments. I have not yet run into another with the some problem.

John Ross

Re: Ariel Blog
Simon.Holyfield #749662 09/18/18 7:27 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have been enjoying your blog very much

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership