BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
frugal
frugal
Wellsville,NY 14895
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
45 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 335 guests, and 398 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gregg's Atv, T160vUK, Dadstoys, Carlo D'Angelo, butcherboy
10443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 69
franko 60
Popular Topics(Views)
730,809 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,548
Posts667,470
Members10,443
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A65 Primary chain tensioner #748792
09/11/18 6:45 pm
09/11/18 6:45 pm
England
F
ferretjuggler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
ferretjuggler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
F

England
This is something else missing from the pile of bits that will eventually become my '72 A65T

Apparently there are two types, the later type 70-8310 being the part that I need.
Apparently this later version is interchangeable with the earlier type - so what exactly is the difference please ?

And just to confuse things, there are some "funny looking" tensioners that have appeared on eBay lately.
The rubber pad is shorter than the original and stuck at the end oppersite the pivot hole.
Are these any use at all ?
Or are they just a part off a completely different vehicle (like a cam chain tensioner blade) that just happens to fit ?

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: A65 Primary chain tensioner [Re: ferretjuggler] #748835
09/12/18 2:20 am
09/12/18 2:20 am
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
The earlier tensioner is shorter, and receives a cap on the outside end, to keep oil from leaking out around the tensioner bolt. Also, the cup that receives the fiber "puck" is a separate piece, which is pinned into the tensioner bolt.

The later tensioner is longer, is all one piece, and receives only a locknut on the outside (which, with a fiber washer under it, serves to keep the oil inside equally well).

The earlier tensioner gives you less leeway for adjustment, which can be looked at as a bad thing or a good thing. Once the bolt is turned in so far, there's precious little thread left on the outside to get the oil cap on. If one or two coils of thread get worn down at the end, you start having trouble getting the cap to stay on. The newer type tensioner has plenty of thread sticking out of the case, not having to accommodate an oil cap. I've converted my bitsa to the later type tensioner.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: A65 Primary chain tensioner [Re: ferretjuggler] #748837
09/12/18 2:32 am
09/12/18 2:32 am
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
Sorry FJ, misread your post, I thought you were talking about the tensioner BOLT.

Don't know what you're looking at on fleabay, but I have a few used tensioners lying about, presumably from '65-'67 engines, and they're all the same. I don't know what would have changed in the primary in '71 to require a different tensioner.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: A65 Primary chain tensioner [Re: Mark Z] #749157
09/14/18 3:54 pm
09/14/18 3:54 pm
England
F
ferretjuggler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
ferretjuggler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
F

England
Just bought a new tensioner blade on fleabay.
It's the correct shape but apparently it is both part numbers at the same time.
ie 70-8310 and 68-0244
I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between these two blades, but I've got a feeling that I'm about to find out.
Apparently it's British made but MCA brand.
Fingers crossed that it's not cheap tat.

The tensioner bolt will be the next thing to sort out.

Re: A65 Primary chain tensioner [Re: ferretjuggler] #749237
09/15/18 3:16 am
09/15/18 3:16 am
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
I'm still betting that there's no change to the tensioner blade - hope I'm right.

In regard to the bolt, see my first post. Just insert the word "bolt" after every instance of "tensioner".

Mark Z

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership