BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Dan Blair
Dan Blair
Washington, DC
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
41 registered members (AML), 325 guests, and 443 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
goatroper, Hawaii70BSA, itomtom, Wristpin, Mom1
10450 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 70
Jeff K. 60
franko 59
Popular Topics(Views)
736,261 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,595
Posts668,088
Members10,450
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Carb setting help [Re: redmosquito1] #747756
09/03/18 4:06 pm
09/03/18 4:06 pm
Clarkston, MI
R
redmosquito1 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
redmosquito1  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Clarkston, MI
I did that. These plugs have 1 ride of 20 miles on them before they fouled up. Cleaned with the plug cleaner and have swapped plugs with the old plugs and back and forth etc same result.

I lowered the needle to the first notch and it did get hot on the left cylinder and much less fuel/oil came out.

So frustrating

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Carb setting help [Re: redmosquito1] #747796
09/03/18 7:21 pm
09/03/18 7:21 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Could be the fueled up side carb has a dodgy float or float valve needle , flooding. have a good look at the float operation, new floats sometimes have left over flashing seems that can catch and prevent proper closure, needle seats can have dirt on them and prevent proper sealing, that sort of thing.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: Carb setting help [Re: redmosquito1] #747853
09/04/18 4:17 am
09/04/18 4:17 am
Clarkston, MI
R
redmosquito1 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
redmosquito1  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Clarkston, MI
Gavin that was the side that I checked the float level with the new style floats after reinstalling them and it was right on the pip. I was having issues with the new style as they seemed to be slightly larger than the old style and were getting stuck on the screw boss causing flooding and fuel to spit out the tickler. I removed the injection flash from the float and relieved a little material from the screw boss and that allowed it to work properly. At that point the fuel level was checked and it was on the pip.

I cranked out the air screw and set the needle to the top notch and it seemed to get heat into the cylinder but on idle there was fuel/oil coming from the header again. I'm going to pull that carb off and tear it apart, maybe something got stuck somewhere. I may swap everything over to my other 389 body and see if that helps. If not head will come off and see what I find. Based on my compression and leak down test I don't think there are any issues with anything but the carb, but I'm running out of things to look at.

Anyone know a competent mechanic around the Oxford, MI area? or Metro Detroit? I know about E&V but I'm looking for someone within an hour or less and hes 3+. I'm getting to the throw the towel in point after 2+ years of restoring and 3 years of trying to get it to run right I'm about done dicking with it. How reliable are those repop concentrics from AMAL? maybe I should switch to those.

Last edited by redmosquito1; 09/04/18 4:20 am.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership