BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
GaCracker
GaCracker
Johns Creek,Ga
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (AndyB), 205 guests, and 405 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bruce1947, Robert mickey, Geofft, WJS, Trondgv
10333 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 129
reverb 70
DavidP 65
Popular Topics(Views)
660,263 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,704
Posts657,739
Members10,333
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 36 of 36 1 2 34 35 36
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #738738
06/14/18 5:51 pm
06/14/18 5:51 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
About 100 miles or so from last re torque, Gales, Sciatica and rain today, opportunity to retorque the head, Outer nut front DS moved most , other nuts , some, centre 5 barely to not at all. Hopefully thats it for a while now, inlet tappet settings hadnt moved.
job done, the rocker thing didnt work this time of course the pre set TS rocker shifted as I jostled with the DS.
I did find that the very thing for fiddling with the thackeray washers/ shims is a crab fork, the cranked small shovel tip is perfect.
The last run with everything going well entropy caught up with the speedo at 7798 miles, it seems that the cable inner is spinning in the speedo head but failing to engage fully, the square is 0.118 across, should be more like 0.125, have ordered a new cable, the speedo is the re pop type and had worked well up to then. The original Smiths did exactly the same, the bend near the speedo head cocks the drive over in the socket wearing it out.
A strange noise started coming from the flyscreen, it broke, Mk II required, next one wont have to be squeezed to fit, it was under stress. snapped across the DS ear just after the bend. Oh well. Going to try thinner stuff next time.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #738846
06/15/18 11:27 pm
06/15/18 11:27 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Nick said a while back
"You may find the port mod makes the pilot system a bit rich, enlarging the drillings in the needle jet by a thou or two might be the answer.
Need 1 thou inc drills though, i used some pcb ones i had."

Your real-world MPG average is 66.37, covering 138 miles using 2.08 gallons of fuel.

The last tankful was regular 95 , mixed A road , some town work, shopping , there is a funny transition from the pilot to the cutaway, I will try balancing once again ( last time I left the ballometer across the manifolds and didnt lift the HT on one at a time, not happy with the result), setting idles independently this time, that usually sorts it out, if it doesnt then I may try Nicks mod.Off to look at tiny drills. I have a tiny chuck somewhere.
Before I do that I might mess with the needles, currently in mid notch, lowering the needles to top notch and see what that does.

Pulling very well, if I get on it in 4th up a hill the clutch slips at 4- 5k, hope the plates arent suffering , only did it once,will open up the primary , strip plates , acid etch the steels and go for 1 more turn, that will bring the adjuster studs up to the top of the screws.

It hasnt been passed 1/2 throttle yet, giving the rings a chance to settle down.

Fitted a new speedo cable , came fast from Fecked dot com, fixed it, had to guess about 4 miles for the fuel calc, it stopped about Kilchrenan , so thats conservative.
Out for a spin at the magic hour, about 21:30 tonight.

Attached Files IMG_0936.JPG
Last edited by gavin eisler; 06/15/18 11:37 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #739581
06/23/18 2:24 pm
06/23/18 2:24 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Your real-world MPG average is 60.48, covering 176 miles using 2.91 gallons of fuel.

i took the bike up the hill to the carb setting tree, this time with the balance pipe isolated,, set the pilot mix independently, both carbs were found lean. Normal service restored, no fluffs or weirdness, idle speed has crept up from 1k to 1.2 K as the rings bed in, dropped idle back to 1 k. motor runs great.

Fixed the clutch, stripped all plates, pickled each steel plate in 10 % HCl brick cleaner, wound in the springs 2 more turns, adjuster studs now flush to proud of the screw heads, still nice and light with no sign of slip, woo hoo. Clutch feels v good, I recommend the 7 or 6.5 plate mod with the 650 springs, no nonsense, easy engagement, no drag/ slip. result.

No funny leaks and minimal drool from the breather, had to remake the oil tank breather vent, the end of the hose had worn a hole in the catch bottle.

In the spirit of attending to the most scabby part I am focusing on the front mudguard, bought a nice SS copy. Of course it doesnt fit, have cut the welds to the stays and will bend a jog in to clear the rubber away from the stays.
I contacted the e bay guy who supplied it , suggesting he might mention the clearance issues, he assured me his own triumph has one with no clearance issues, he must be using a 2 " wide tyre.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 06/23/18 2:31 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #740016
06/27/18 11:12 am
06/27/18 11:12 am
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
More miles , another broken spoke, found one last spare, its the same type every time, the short side, head to inside spoke curves over hub flange to head off in tension when driven, ie the spoke that is pulling the rim under acceleration, breaks at the same place every time just past the bend. Spokes are 10 gauge, a chat with CWC suggest using 9 g would be possible if the holes were drill, will consider other options, maybe galvy steel, maybe better quality. I noted that the inner outer short pairs had the same bends, in an ideal world the outer would be more bent, will check suppliers, or recommendations welcome. The current set were cheap off e bay, should know better by now.

Pics at the marine lab back bay, whisky sunset land, 21:15, flaming June midsummer.

Attached Files IMG_0948.JPGIMG_0949.JPGIMG_0952.JPGIMG_0951.JPG

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #740028
06/27/18 2:19 pm
06/27/18 2:19 pm
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Offline

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Offline

BritBike Forum member
New Jersey USA
Gavin--just FYI when putting stainless spokes into a conical rear hub Buchanans in US recommend the use of 9 gauge spokes
I did this when rebuilding such a hub for a 74 T120RV.
I had to drill out the holes in the hub---but had to take away very little metal.
No problems since the rebuild --but this is a 650 not a 750.
HTH

Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #740039
06/27/18 3:44 pm
06/27/18 3:44 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Thanks for the tip T man, i contacted Uk spoke suppliers Devon Rim Co, had a chat with the nice man, they supply the short side spokes with inner and outer bends, giving them a try , failing that will go to 9 gauge.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #740054
06/27/18 5:59 pm
06/27/18 5:59 pm
Scotland
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
I always up gauge when going to stainless as it has a lower tensile strength than steel, downside of this is the bend on the end can be affected as you get less bend in a thicker spoke, so if the bend exceeds what your spoke maker will bend to you have to offset the bend a couple of mm and then the head does not sit neatly in the spoke hole in the hub but the spoke will enter the rim hole. I would trust the Devon guy more than CWC, CWC do too many short cuts like standardising bends and lengths of spokes to make spoke production easier rather than making spokes to build a good wheel.

Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #740068
06/27/18 7:29 pm
06/27/18 7:29 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Thanks John, that makes me feel better, new spokes should be here Friday, will get stuff ready for then, should be able to do it in two days, quicker maybe if the LBS will let me bother them for the tyre changer.

Things are pretty rosy apart from the spoke mortality, still dripping a spot from the breather, or chaincase, I find most oil is black by the time it gets out , even if it starts off red , snot gear oil. nothing more than a penny drip . Can live with that, fixing the breather bottle seemed to do the trick. My right leg sciatica is giving me jip, to minimise pain I have been experimenting with how half heartedly i can start it,clutch in , kick lever at 90 degree( half way down) and a casual lean, works all the time.Hope it stays like that.
Still to do, fix knobble to side stand end, sort new SS mudguard, spoke to Norman the welder, he is up for it, should get done next week, also need a new number plate, the original style pressed steel is split, doing a pretty good rattlesnake impression at the moment..
Will check the inlet epoxy while the spokes are in the post , curious to know if its there, motor is pulling better than before, quieter too, , still find myself looking for another top gear , if it wasnt such a headache to fit, a 22 tooth GB sprocket would work for long distance stuff, the way it is now it fairly rips through the gears in a hooligan style if revved to 5 , not gone passed that yet.Well , once or twice, it doesnt seem necessary with the fat middrange.
Its been dry for so long here that the moss is falling off the roof.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 06/27/18 7:37 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #740246
06/29/18 4:33 pm
06/29/18 4:33 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
"Your real-world MPG average is 57.12, covering 163 miles using 2.85 gallons of fuel."
lots of low gear work, dawdling up the glen.
nae sign of new spokes yet.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #740657
07/03/18 7:35 pm
07/03/18 7:35 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Spokes came, wheel aff, tyre aff , old spokes aff, new spokes in, hmm, watched a DEvon rim co vid, that confused things, their rims are different from my Borrani, spent too long in the midge ridden back garden playing with spoke combos.
Finally, after the midges had bitten my ear, making that hellish noise, retired to indoors and got a good line up with the less bent inner short spokes now in tension when driven, looks better than previous, before I had copied the original spoke pattern which had the more bent outer short spoke in tension, lets see. Tuned up by ear til pitches were similar, I had to punch a few of the nipple heads in to get a new seat. When tested on the wheel stand it was good to go , no further tweaking needed, , no more than a mm side to side, less on the circ.

Re assembled , went into town, back , two spokes needed a bit of a tweak on return., seems good.

made up a sidestand knobble from a windsurf UJ quick release pin, tapped the stand , screwed it in.
Ile change comin up, runnin braw. Dry roads , woo hoo.

Last pic shows 30 g of solder needed to balance. Worked it out with stickies , then cut a chunk to suit.

Attached Files IMG_0956.JPGIMG_0957.JPGIMG_0958.JPGIMG_0959.JPG
Last edited by gavin eisler; 07/03/18 7:37 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #740867
07/05/18 7:56 pm
07/05/18 7:56 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Your real-world MPG average is 58.75, covering 140 miles using 2.38 gallons of fuel.

NTR all going well, moved the clocks around, speedo now on left, tach on rhs , cables fit better this way, replaced the speedo mount rubber, the new repro is pretty baggy, maybe it will tighten up with age? made a tacho drive blank plate and bought a cheap vac gauge , centre zero, -25 inch HG, to 10 psi, to check crankcase pressure, need to dig out some wires and run a tach signal for the new leccy tach, then temp mount the vac /press gauge.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #742177
07/16/18 11:49 pm
07/16/18 11:49 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
"Your real-world MPG average is 60.32, covering 186 miles using 3.08 gallons of fuel."
50/50 riding like an old man with sciatica/ making progress.
Not even on reserve, a theoretical 230 ish miles to the last dregs,handy. fuel cost is 136.9 p/litre for the better stuff, last tank full cost £19.19.

Changed the oil, a bit less iron on the sump plug than the first change, got about 900 miles in since the rings were replaced. opened up the filter on the lathe , nothing weird in it, no sparklies in the white enamel oil pan either , woo hoo.Runs great. had a look in the air intakes, epoxy is still there. Back wheel holding out well, had about 6 weeks of dry roads now, and most of the winter pot holes have been turned into positive lumps, roads are just about OK most places, excellent in others.

its more grunty than before, between full comp on both pots and the new ports its perked up a good bit, power builds steadily from 2.5, wakes up a bit more at 3.5, feels like a two stroke in the band from 4 - 6 K, not gone past that yet. Unlike before it no longer needs choke for a mile or so when started from cold, starts easily, now the rings are good and bedded in the comp is enough of a challenge to make me feel good about chickening out from the thin 10:1 ish head gasket, if it was any higher than it is now it would be awkward. occasionally I get lazy and leave it top gear when crawling through the village 30 limits, then I forget , leave the limits , overtake something and try to change up for the top that isnt there, its all good. Out at the magic hour , quiet roads, i found a clear spot and caned it to 6 though the first 3 gears, that was a load of fun, the ratios are perfect, its wonderful, the motor is leaving the sweet spot at 6 but its not hellish vibration wise, cruising at 4 k with thick boots on the bare ally pegs feel smooth, fine for 95% of the time.Instruments are clear and none of the bulbs have failed in 3 K miles, touchwood.
Motor noise is less, the new / old crank pinion has silenced the timing chest , the new rings have deleted a metallic tap which I thought was rocker end float. Just the usual top end rustle. Pipes are well sealed, this also keeps some of the noise down, if revs arent too high its socially acceptable.
Top end has stayed oil tight
Planning a trip to YPE on the east coast the dyno guy there is pretty sussed, for the runs I need some way to calibrate the timing marks, I also want to try fitting shorter air inlet rubbers, the T140 types fitted have a long inlet tube that sticks into the air box about 2", will get a spare set and try chopping them down a bit at a time.
It seems to be carbureting ( if that a word) well, however getting AF info would be very useful, my seat of the pants method is pretty crude, I am happy with the pilot and cutaway, but a little unsure about the 105 NJ . Commando needle combo, , looking at the piston crowns it was black / rich looking last time it was apart.

If anyone is stupid/ curious enough to try and change the carb mount from the stock flange to a spigot for a rubber mount the T140 intake rubbers combined with the Flange/spigot adaptor Surrey cycles sell( at £39 each! ouch) sorts out all the space issues if you use skinny fuel taps and 180 banjos, the more I look at the stock airbox set up the more I like it and I wouldnt go back to the old open intakes, I am happy to report that the airbox probably adds more to the midrange and low end than you might gain at the top end with open carbs, plus it keeps out the rain, draining the float bowls shows a lot less water is finding its way in, and the carbs arent wearing out .
Front brake micrams needed another click on each to remove excess lever travel. The SAFTEK lings are the best thing since sliced bread, the brake is as good as its going to get, looking at 8 " brake shoe dims I noted that the earlier 68 -70 TLS has wider shoes 41 mm versus 38 for the conical, no wonder they get a good rep, I have a 70 front wheel in the attic, needs re-spoked and a fresh rim, hmmm, winter project maybe. I have still not experienced brake fade with this set up, I only occasionally noticed it before, a run up Glen Shee using the brake hard on most bends would do it , but I was a lot younger/ stupider then.

Kommandos lovely refresh job on the Konis has solved two issues, they are longer 13.5 , than the wrongly purchased 12.9 hagons, also a bit stiffer, this has created much needed ground clearance and stopped the tyre saying hello to the back mudguard, never a good thing. handling is wonderful , pin sharp, changes direction easily, every corner is fun and the bike always gives the impression it could have gone 10 mph faster if you had the balls, chicken strips are down to about 3/8", getting the last bit isnt going to happen on a public road, Still luvving the Avon Road riders, terrific feel on the hot dry roads lately, great rubber and wearing well, might get more than 3k from the rear.
The MZ choke lever is a good thing, a lot tidier and more easy to use than the old lawnmower type, it just pulls the 30 mm needed to clear the choke slides, with a bit of filing it could pull 32, being old 70s alloy it goes well with the chunky switchgear for which I have developed a grudging admiration ,37 year old Lucas stuff, made pretty well, still working , easy to service, pretty butch lookin too compared with the old snuff box switches.

Chains, the two chain thing is working great, about 4 K on the pair, swapped at roughly 1k intervals, only moved the back wheel twice, swapping the chains is easy, connect the fresh clean lubed chain to the old minky one and pull through, clean old chain in kero, 6 times, boil up in the grease pot, hang to drip , , swap again at 1,000, the back wheel only moves every 2nd chain swap, and only a 1/2 turn is needed to restore correct tension.

As far as my "take the scabbiest bit" and make it good resto goes, after the front mudguard gets fixed, it will be number plate then pipes. Dreading replacing the pipes that might be a step too far, they only look new for about a week in this climate, thats if you ride the bike, functionally they work so until that changes they can stay. The toga megs on the end look like they will do another 20 years, the back sides have blown the chrome so they will go eventually..
Very happy with the old girl , this is the least worn out its ever been, chassis and motor feel taught and fresh. A hoot to ride, park pretty much anywhere, cheap to run,easy to maintain. There was one moment a week or so ago, leaving town and accelerating past some traffic, it spat back and died, then restarted OK, , wouldnt pull past 3k without doing the same, limped home at 50, drained the float bowls, rhs clean, lhs had rust / paint debris , lhs gets fuel line first. Fault cured, not done it since. Tank needs a clean out, electrolysis this winter should do it.

Somewhere on the things to puddle about with next list is the OPRV mod that Nick suggested, the frame now has an extra return stub ( currently blanked) to accommodate oil from the pressure relief valve, John has made a cute test mount with pressure gauge , threaded to take the OPRV, I have a spare iron pump,
I also have a domed late OPRV and a flat early ball type. Spent about an hour measuring and comparing the two. The early type has two redeeming features, it has one whole more thread of engagement, its better made, the thread must have been cut left to right if the hex was in the chuck ,the tool must have started to cut immediately at the shoulder whereas the later type has a thread gutter , been cut right to left and needed space for the tool to run out before crashing into the shoulder. 6 threads beats 5. The hex is bigger so more area to seal against the case. The spring appears to be a lot lighterand smaller in the early type , however the ball area is also less than the piston.
Putting a mic across the threads of both OPRVs the later type has the larger OD by about 3 thou.These things have a fairly sloppy feel when threaded in, I measured up the TPI and stuff, tempted to remake the main body and delete the oil holes to get maximum thread seal, should give another 3 threads at least, I have steel and a lathe, better get on with it.
The plan is to make a test block , mount the pump so it feeds the OPRV and a bleed line, these discharge to a small oil tank above the rig, same tank has a gravity feed line to the pump inlet to allow circulation, the pump will be spun by a small drill motor, this will allow tweaking of the OPRV if needed. Messy fun at the very least. To make the pressure bleed off at the OPRV connection there are options, simplest would be drill the flat hex end cap centrally and solder a barbed stub pipe to it, hose clip to pipe and done, it might look weird though sticking straight out the side, should be able to squeeze that in without messing the spring seat up. More complex would be to drill and tap the end cap to take a stud coupling this would allow a 90 bend / flared pipe end to tidy up the pipe run, trouble is its not very thick, and that will definitely mess with the spring seat, or weld a lump onto the end cap to give enough meat to drill and tap with out messing the spring seat up, I like that idea, but welding might distort the whole things, hmmm.,

The mech tacho delete mod is slowly taking shape, I have made a wee alloy blank plate to cover the tach drive hole, this needs a 6mm hole drilled and tapped to take a tapping for the vac/ press gauge, it can sit where the old tach was while I get some casing pressure readings using the stock breather system, this will give a baseline to compare any future breather mods with.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #742523
07/20/18 2:29 am
07/20/18 2:29 am
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
chicken strips

Attached Files IMG_0973.JPGIMG_0974.JPGIMG_0967.JPG

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #742528
07/20/18 3:16 am
07/20/18 3:16 am
Aus
N
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
N
Aus
Those 'chicken strips' look about the same as mine. We must be getting old.

Lamas are bigger than frogs.
No room for sanity here.
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #742860
07/23/18 3:20 pm
07/23/18 3:20 pm
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
The only time I removed the extra bit on mine was when I threw the bike down the road

beerchug
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #742864
07/23/18 4:23 pm
07/23/18 4:23 pm
ohio
shel Offline
BritBike Forum member
shel  Offline
BritBike Forum member
ohio
We all have chicken strips here in the farm lands where all the roads are flat and straight

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #742939
07/24/18 8:49 am
07/24/18 8:49 am
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Aye, its one thing to get round to the edge on modern 180 wide rubber, these narrow 4 inchers need a lot more effort.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #743578
07/29/18 11:57 pm
07/29/18 11:57 pm
Overland Missouri
O
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Offline
BritBike Forum member
O
Overland Missouri
I've been enjoying this development saga a great deal.

Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #743625
07/30/18 2:12 pm
07/30/18 2:12 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
"I've been enjoying this development saga a great deal." Thank you, so have I , apart from the last trip. I have two petrol receipts, the other one is so water damaged the info is unreadable.

Your real-world MPG average is 54.80, covering 177 miles using 3.23 gallons. Open wet roads, panniers and big clothes.

Set off south on Friday night, left it late to get clear roads, its started raining about Inveraray, mmm, just a shower, I hoped, nope, by the time I got the rain suit one piece on it was too late , hit monsoon conditions about Loch Eck, by the time I got to Dunoon I had taken on at least twenty punds of water. Water started to leak first at left arm, next crotch, quickly followed by boots filling with water, most unpleasant.Ferry was leaving just as I rolled up, had to wait a 1/2 hour for the next one, time to get the rain suit on, one hour late., now its dark and raining, get to Greenock and the road is closed for works and I get diverted into Greenock town, end up lost and back at the road closed signs. I played the "old git on an old bike card" and got through the road works in a convoy with an ambulance, a 2 hours trip that ended up with 4 hours on the road. Finally got to destination soaked through, took 2 days to dry out. The bike never missed a beat , but it did shed the kickstart rubber somewhere. parked the bike outside where I could keep an eye on it, no shed space, it sat in a gale of rain for two days, started first kick, yay.
On the return journey I got within 6 miles of home to meet a closed road, fatal RTA in the Pass of Brander, had to make a 100 mile detour round Glen Coe to get home, needless to say it was caned mercilessly for most of the 100, it did use a bit of oil, when checked on return it was just on the end of the dipstick and needed about a 1/2 pint to restore to normal level. About 400 miles of wet roads, new front mudguard location gives slightly improved protection but the bike is still pretty filthy, panniers are not waterproof . About the only good move on the trip was I remembered to take fresh dry warm socks, these provided a much needed morall boost when I waited for the ferry at Dunoon,

One last thing , the repop instrument speedo has misted up, the Smiths tacho hasnt.
pics of filth.

Attached Files IMG_0975.JPGIMG_0976.JPG
Last edited by gavin eisler; 07/30/18 3:26 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #744415
08/04/18 7:18 pm
08/04/18 7:18 pm
Overland Missouri
O
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Offline
BritBike Forum member
O
Overland Missouri

Bike looks just right.
"The least worn out it's ever been" is a classic word for every Brit bike rebuilder, thank you.

Last edited by old mule; 08/04/18 7:19 pm.
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #744926
08/08/18 8:50 pm
08/08/18 8:50 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
"Your real-world MPG average is 53.45, covering 150 miles using 2.81 gallons of fuel."
Thanks for the compliment, the bike is pretty much the way i want it, needs a new flyscreen, that about it.i still think its a bit rich middrange , will drop the needles tomorrow for science sake.

This was using regular 95 not the good stuff.
Not cruising like an old man now the giant anaconda of sciatic pain has been put back into its layer, took the physiotherapist some well earned home made oatcakes today.
Worst mpg for a while, yay.considering the thrashing its no bad. Theres a nip in the air now, last run at the magic hour came back freezin but smiling, just missed a dozy doe Roe Deer ( like a whitetail for you colonials).
Suspension testing on the Kilchrenan road , had a big bottom out on one of the bomb holes, maybe more hi speed comp damping needed. Where did I put those shims?
No signs of any further spoke breakage,rear wheel staying tight, woohoo.! Speedo is still full of condensation apart from that the repop item is V good.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #744982
08/09/18 2:03 pm
08/09/18 2:03 pm
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Bike looks quite right to me...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #745093
08/10/18 9:59 am
08/10/18 9:59 am
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
ignition switch location, its just dawned on me , every time I sling panniers over the saddle I have issues with the panniers knocking of the switch. particularly on long downhill descents with heavy braking. if i had to relocate this it might end up somewhere near the clocks. not a major issue most of the time.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Page 36 of 36 1 2 34 35 36

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership