BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (Ajulian), 204 guests, and 442 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10, Tacet, Joe Bruney
10416 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 84
Rohan 80
Triless 79
reverb 76
Popular Topics(Views)
708,854 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,288
Posts664,869
Members10,416
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Racetech Emulators for damper rod forks? #744436
08/04/18 8:52 pm
08/04/18 8:52 pm
PNW
S
spuggy Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
spuggy  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

PNW

Hey guys,

I need to refresh/check the forks on my 1960 TR6; decided I'd like improved damping, so was looking into upgrading/updating at the same time.

Surrounded myself with parts diagrams and it seems you'd have to change many parts to use the 64-67 competition damper rods - let alone upgrade to the even later shuttle-valve type damping (where you'd certainly be replacing most/all of the internals). And it's not even clear if either setup can be massaged into co-operating with the earlier fork sliders (anyone done this and know off-hand?)

In comparison, Racetech Emulators seem like a laughably trivial install; drill extra holes in the damper rods so that they don't anymore, adjust the valve to the desired rebound setting, drop it in, change springs out for Racetech ones, re-assemble, re-fill with the correct oil/amount for your desired compression setting, job done.

Which apparently provides real adjustable damping; folks with later damper-rod forked bikes generally say they're an improvement (although accessing the "adjustability" does involve dismantling/fiddling about).

But overall, it does seem very intriguing - anyone used them or have any experience with them?

There looks to be zero hits on this board searching for "racetech emulator", although google results seem to indicate that many Guzzi/Harley/Yamaha riders - as well as Triumphs less than a decade old - mostly think they're not a waste of time/money, even though some are less enthused than others.

Pretty low bar to get an improvement from stock, so seems worth a try...

Cheers,

Andy

1960 TR6: Skunkworks and Sympathetic restos (sorta concurrently, on the same platform)
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Racetech Emulators for damper rod forks? [Re: spuggy] #744478
08/05/18 6:01 am
08/05/18 6:01 am
Scotland
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Ask the question where are you going to fit them if there is no damper tube to sit them on and also no internal spring to hold them in place.

Re: Racetech Emulators for damper rod forks? [Re: kommando] #744546
08/05/18 7:51 pm
08/05/18 7:51 pm
PNW
S
spuggy Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
spuggy  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

PNW
Originally Posted by kommando
Ask the question where are you going to fit them if there is no damper tube to sit them on and also no internal spring to hold them in place.

Heh. Why, yes, that would be a problem. smile

Maybe you're thinking of the earlier pre-units though? (I can't quite grasp what the heck is going on in their parts diagram - "pressure tube"? huh?)...

My parts diagram for the 1960 duplex 6T, T110, TR6 & T120 shows both damper tube & internal springs; I was under the impression the forks didn't go external spring until 1964 MY.

1960 TR6: Skunkworks and Sympathetic restos (sorta concurrently, on the same platform)
Re: Racetech Emulators for damper rod forks? [Re: spuggy] #744591
08/06/18 4:38 am
08/06/18 4:38 am
Scotland
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
I was considering the 69/70 shuttles, anyway I did solve all these issues and fitted them but instead went Showa 20mm cartridge which needs some steel thin wall precision tubing to replace the alloy Showa tube or the oil cannot freely pass outside the cartridge.

Re: Racetech Emulators for damper rod forks? [Re: spuggy] #747007
08/28/18 2:59 pm
08/28/18 2:59 pm
UK - Bucks
Steve Wilson Offline

BritBike Forum member
Steve Wilson  Offline

BritBike Forum member

UK - Bucks
Fitted these cartridge emulators - or Fork Valves in a couple of sets of forks - worked well for me
There seems to be two options - Racetech or YSS
I've bought both and the quality appears similar - Racetechs customer support is very good as is their website.
http://www.racetech.com/
http://www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/EMULATORGV.HTML

YSS parts are a bit cheaper generally but support is mainly from vendors like Brook
https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/fork-internals/yss-fork-emulators.html
As mentioned job is a strip and rebuild of the forks plus Drilling the damper rods (doesn't have to be precision at all just enough, big enough holes) and cutting or making spacers to re-set spring preload.
New springs are not mandatory. Racetech have recommendations but check what you have first they may be spot on. And its not difficult to just change the springs later on a lot of forks.

They also recommend oil viscosity and level.
Just a cautionary note on fork oil - the viscosity varies a lot so make sure you know what you have - or at least what you put in. some 15w is heavier than some 20w and vice-verca (see the chart below)
http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycle/fork-oil.html

For what its worth Castrol seems consistant here in the UK -

Cheers
Steve

SJW
Re: Racetech Emulators for damper rod forks? [Re: Steve Wilson] #747041
08/28/18 9:24 pm
08/28/18 9:24 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi Steve,

Originally Posted by Steve Wilson
fork oil - the viscosity varies a lot
For what its worth Castrol seems consistant here in the UK
http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycle/fork-oil.html

confused The chart puts Castrol "10wt" between a 3.5 and a 4.25 ... "15wt" and "20wt" are more consistent but still a substantial gap between "Reported Viscosity Index" and "Recalculated Viscosity Index".

I've been using Bel-Ray since I started fiddling with suspension, the chart appears to show all viscosities are far more consistent than Castrol's?

Regards,

Re: Racetech Emulators for damper rod forks? [Re: Stuart] #747337
08/30/18 10:06 pm
08/30/18 10:06 pm
UK - Bucks
Steve Wilson Offline

BritBike Forum member
Steve Wilson  Offline

BritBike Forum member

UK - Bucks
Well - when I looked at the info that was the conclusion I came to - right wrong or otherwise. The best option - having chosen your poison is to stick to it.
The really important message is that one companies 15w can be very different from another's. So when you change the oil from 15w to 20w you could actually be going anywhere (including the other direction!)

SJW
Re: Racetech Emulators for damper rod forks? [Re: spuggy] #750607
09/26/18 8:07 pm
09/26/18 8:07 pm
Skudeneshavn Norway
S
Stein Roger Offline

BritBike Forum member
Stein Roger  Offline

BritBike Forum member
S

Skudeneshavn Norway
On a 1960 fork you could use the earlier damper tube, sans the rod and internal bits, with holes drilled and the top of the tube modified to accommodate a seal and to suit the emulator. However, as kommando pointed out to me in a similar discussion a while back, the inside of a typical Triumph stanchion is pretty rough, and won’t seal well unless machined. And I don’t know if anyone makes emulators small enough to fit in there?
Btw, I think the early damper tube forks can be made to work pretty well, and certainly better than the 64-67 pogo sticks.

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership