BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite Pistons
BritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Flossie' latest venture
#743213 07/26/18 11:44 am
Grandad Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
There I was, lurking in the shade of my conker tree, trying to keep cool in this sweltering summer when the phone rang. It was Graham. “Hi Dad, get your bike out cos we are picking up young Flossie. Meet us at The Royal Temple Yacht Club above Ramsgate Harbour at 4:30”.
The yacht club sits high above the harbour and the bar was crowded with visiting yachtsmen who were there to compete in the regatta. Flossie was already there, glowing with success because she and her crew had come in third against tough opposition.
[Linked Image]
The view from the bar terrace was magnificent and far out to sea could be seen the latest race just finishing:
[Linked Image]
For those unfamiliar with Flossie, she is a remarkably competitive young lady who lost her sight when a toddler and who has been associated with the Kentites ever since Graham had to ferry her to school in his taxi. She loves camping and motorcycling and has been on many motorcycling jaunts with us as a pillion passenger and a rally camper. No challenge daunts her and her current sport is international sailing.
After a quick drink we took to the bikes, Graham and Flossie on his 1955 Speedtwin and Me on my 1961 Tiger 90 – well, that was the plan, but I found that I had lost the key to the switch that isolates the battery. So on the harbour-side we had to get the toolkit out and ‘re-adjust’ the electrics to get my bike started. Thank God for crude classic bike circuitry! Having achieved the modification to the sound of much grumbling from Graham about silly old dodderers who can’t keep their keys safely, we eventually delivered Flossie to her home. That entailed a 12 mile trip further down the coast, riding in shirt sleeves!
[Linked Image]

--------------------------------

Don't nail that lid down - I'm still bloomin' breathing !!
Click here to see SPIDER cartoons!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Flossie' latest venture
Grandad #743215 07/26/18 12:14 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ride on Flossie! You guys are all made of the right stuff. Glad to see you are enjoying the hottest summer in 300 years, so sez the BBC!
Over here in the frozen north we have had it in the 88 to 90s for about a month. Camping isn’t the same due to the fire bans everywhere. Tens of thousands of acres of forest burning in the north. Not too many people displaced ‘cause nobody lives there ‘crept the bears and moose.
I love the look of that barge tied up in the foreground of your first photo.
Could it be a residence? That would be my dream. Live full time in the harbour on that boat. Maybe bob up and down the coast in the summer. Gotta buy more lottery tickets before getting a seat on the plane!
I really enjoy your posts and pics Grandad. All the best to you, Graham and Flossie.
Cheers
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Grandad #743218 07/26/18 12:31 pm
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
Moto-Amish
It's awesome to see Flossie out and about! I thought about her last week when I was tinkering on a bike in the garage and that we hadn't heard a story from her for a while. Thanks for the update Grandad!

Josh
Grandad #743225 07/26/18 1:00 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Thanks Grandad beerchug

I was hoping to meet Flossie at the Rabbit thing and yourself of course but it was not to be.
Next year perhaps ?

Keep the wheels turning and Flossie keep the sails set thumbsup

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride"
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan
who does not do politics

Grandad #743286 07/26/18 11:57 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Grandad
Thanks for posting! Nice to see Flossie and her sailing mates still doing so well- I say still because I recall she and her team, as well as all or most of the Great Britain sailing crews winning or placing last year in Lake Michigan. One thing about the heat- makes for lovely local riding!

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Moderated by  bill50cal, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership