BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Ron T. in KY
Ron T. in KY
Northern KY
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
John finn, West55, Erik M., bunkhouse, dsc5
10980 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 70
DavidP 67
NickL 66
Popular Topics(Views)
1,112,526 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,578
Posts688,021
Members10,980
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
71 registered members (68Newbie), 2,426 guests, and 790 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hot Summer Day for a battle... #742051 07/16/18 1:16 am
Al Eckstadt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Yes, Mods vs. Rockers at The Yard. Very warm weather and very humid from rain yesterday. But no rain today so we were able to ride in from all over Central New York. The Interceptor's new carbs allowed it to perform flawlessly even in this heat. The nice thing about this event is I get to ride the Seneca Turnpike. A beautiful mostly two lane road stretching across Onondaga county with varied speed limits but mostly 55MPH which in local practice means nice cruising speeds of 60 to 65. I can get to The Yard in about 45 minutes.
Lots of bikes and scooters there when I pulled in around 1PM and more followed. About 2PM they had a meeting and left for a ride around a nearby park. I opted to find a shady spot and have a snack rather than suit up and ride again. Lots of my club members, friends and acquaintances, along with some new people, like the custom Norton NC15CS owner. The guy with the top hat was of course the owner of the red Modded out Vespa. The people were very nice and everyone appreciated the machines.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Al Eckstadt
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Al Eckstadt] #742324 07/18/18 1:39 pm
JD Offline
Moto-Amish
Moto-Amish
Nice Al! That's one hell of a scooter with the mod license plate. Where are the Yards?

Josh
Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Al Eckstadt] #742326 07/18/18 1:43 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
The light bar on front of that scooter is clamped on with rubber-faced clamps .... you could have that thing looking like a stock unmolested Vespa in about 30 seconds .... Think of all the holes you'd have to drill in that Italian bodywork to do it in any other way .....

Lannis

"It needs but one foe to breed a war, not two, Master Warden, and those who have not swords can still die upon them."
Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Al Eckstadt] #742336 07/18/18 3:17 pm
Al Eckstadt Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
The Yard is in Manlius, NY about a half hour southeast of Syracuse. It was a lumber yard on a former rail line - you can make out the rail bed line in the photo. The tracks ran behind the Manlius Military Academy where I spent the one loneliest year of my life in 1965. I used to walk the tracks but I can't remember if trains were running then, but I think they were. The Academy is long gone but the dorms were rehabbed into deluxe apartments or condos. They have a bar in one of the barns, an air conditioned cafe, and craft and food vendors on weekends. One of the buildings stores the owners' collection of motorcycles.
Its a good thing there was no breeze Sunday or the wind would have caught those mirrors and toppled the little Vespa.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Al Eckstadt
Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Al Eckstadt] #742340 07/18/18 3:53 pm
C
Class Clown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
I have to wonder: If the rider turns on all the lights on that scooter at the same time, does it stall from lack of voltage, or does it simply go up in a mushroom cloud?
Just the way my mind works, that's all: Jim

Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Class Clown] #742341 07/18/18 3:57 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Class Clown
I have to wonder: If the rider turns on all the lights on that scooter at the same time, does it stall from lack of voltage, or does it simply go up in a mushroom cloud?

Well, it's just six lights ... if they're all LEDs (and in today's modern world they probably are), all together they'll draw less current than one normal headlight ....

"It needs but one foe to breed a war, not two, Master Warden, and those who have not swords can still die upon them."
Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Lannis] #742349 07/18/18 4:32 pm
C
Class Clown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Originally Posted by Lannis

Well, it's just six lights ... if they're all LEDs (and in today's modern world they probably are), all together they'll draw less current than one normal headlight ....

Hello, Lannis: Now that's something that I hadn't considered...……..I'm still living in the 60's, that's all.
Jim

Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Al Eckstadt] #742358 07/18/18 5:42 pm
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Great pictures Al, THANKS!!!! I have at Rat-Fink key chain hanging on my 64 SF-Hornet. My first big bike was a 1974 Kaw Z-1 bought new just over $1800.00 out the door. Probably had that much in it in chains, sprockets and rear tyres when I sold it in 1981. That smoke grey 74 R90S made me the café/sport-tour' fanatic to this day!! Could not afford one back then so I bought the Z-1. With the help of Jack at Orient Express he set me up with a Denco pipe. Dicks Cycle West 1/4 fairing and black chrome superbike handlebars. I had my poor mans R-90S!!! Finally got my Airhead in 2001. Currently the Airhead, 3 Vintage Brits an 03 Bonny, & I still have will always have an inline 4cyl. in this case a 1980 GS-850. Great seeing all those bikes at The Yard

Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Class Clown] #742361 07/18/18 5:57 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Lannis

Hello, Lannis: Now that's something that I hadn't considered...……..I'm still living in the 60's, that's all.
Jim

A huge arc and a mushroom cloud WOULD be more fun, though ....

Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Al Eckstadt] #742409 07/19/18 5:53 am
D
Dibnah Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
There are mods in the USA? Always something to be learnt.

Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Al Eckstadt] #742743 07/22/18 11:38 am
Don Leaming Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
It has become a phenomenon in Toronto. Big meet up in August.
http://www.modsandrockerstoronto.com/

Also on Facebook.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/modsandrockerstoronto/

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Al Eckstadt] #742830 07/23/18 6:14 am
D
Dibnah Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
Mods have drifited in and out of fashion in the UK at least four times to my certain knowledge. Young(er) people wearing parkas with fishtails and roundels were out and about winter 2017/2018. No sign of current mod music though.

Big scooters look interesting e.g. Yamaha TMax

Re: Hot Summer Day for a battle... [Re: Al Eckstadt] #742833 07/23/18 7:27 am
R Moulding Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

I remember an old Rocker friend telling me about a game of "Toss the Lambretta frame" on Brighton beach. I always thought all those bolts on lights and mirrors would make good trophies for the winners?

Rod

New, Genuine Lucas Motorcycle parts!

Insist on something else.

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership