BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Gary E
Gary E
Medford, Oregon
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Bud O, knobby, coomo, Chris mannifield, ruellarobson
11024 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 138
DavidP 74
koan58 62
Rohan 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,155,466 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,996
Posts691,414
Members11,024
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (AML), 2,619 guests, and 955 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Can you describe yours please? #739474 06/22/18 3:41 pm
G
Graham Sullivan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
Gentlemen, I appreciate your assistance on what can only be described as a rather delicate matter.

Mine is 1/78'' long. The inner end has a slotted cheese head and I know it's short because the top end has been shortened by one of the two previous owners. I think they did it as felt the ensemble was too long.

I never bothered about it until I noticed a slight weep from the joint between the 'V' banjo nut and the lock-nut above it, when after 33 years off the road I put fuel in to attempt a start.

It has turned out the fibre washer at the cheese head end is letting by and presently I am filing the circumference of a metric version so it will fit in the hole just to get the beast to make noise without the fear of an inflagration.

The lack of length does pose me a problem in that to obtain the float bowl scribed line to match the bottom of the circle I don't have an awful amount of thread left to screw on the top nut onto the hanger bracket.

If any of you chaps help me out by looking at yours and describe the head and the length I will know whether mine is normal.

I do not have a drawing of an AMAL GP carb so right now I'm working on what I see with mine only.

Thanking you in advance chaps, Graham.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Can you describe yours please? [Re: Graham Sullivan] #739476 06/22/18 3:53 pm
T
ToolBox Dave Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Graham, Feel lucky that you do not have a nut problem.... All parts are available either new or with a little patients on eBay. And parts diagrams for AMAL Carbs are as easy as a google search. Good luck with your short and leaky cheese head.

1961 BSA DBD34 Clubman
1966 Triumph T120TT
1972 Rickman 250MX

Re: Can you describe yours please? [Re: ToolBox Dave] #739478 06/22/18 4:54 pm
G
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
Thank you for the reply ToolBox.

I have tried on the net to locate a drawing but without success but then would the drawing give the dimension? Also if I found one for sale I doubt if the vendor would put the measurement of the screw in the advert.

A trip to the AMAL site would be the order of the day, I feel, I am just interested how much mine is short. I do know they are a tight fit due to the frame web directly above the bowl hanger assembly..

The most bizarre thing is I have owned the bike since the late 60's when my mate sold it to me so he could get married and I have never noticed the problem until now.

I can only put that down to young age....

Re: Can you describe yours please? [Re: Graham Sullivan] #739541 06/23/18 2:11 am
T
ToolBox Dave Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
Graham, I think I understand what you are asking for. Are the below pictures what you are asking for? I show 1.5 inches or 4mm in length of the screw. Im not sure if my screw has been shortened in the past.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ToolBox Dave; 06/23/18 2:19 pm.

1961 BSA DBD34 Clubman
1966 Triumph T120TT
1972 Rickman 250MX

Re: Can you describe yours please? [Re: Graham Sullivan] #739580 06/23/18 1:55 pm
G
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
David, you have hit the jackpot matey.

Exactly what I needed. The screw does not show on neither the AMAL nor BSA books, so how BSA fitted them I'll never know, unless we are the only ones in the world with this fitting!

Thanks to your kind help and wizard photographs I have solved my problem. Sorted!

I have now fitted the modded washer and liberal Hylomar and will allow it to dry before I try.

I'm really pleased mine is longer than yours, even if it is only 1/2''!

I will never work out though, how my screw has the look at the thread end of one which has been hacksawed back, but then it doesn't matter now.

Once again many thanks for the pics. they cleared the problem for me with just one look.

Best regards, Graham.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership