BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 164
Joined: August 2001
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidestands
#739311 06/20/18 7:27 pm
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 42
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 42
Why are side stand always/usually on the lift side of the frame?

Thanks, Warren

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739318 06/20/18 8:53 pm
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 17
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 17
If bu the "lift" side you also mean the LEFT side, it may be so because in Britain that is also the CURB side, as they drive and ride on the LEFT side of the road.

Why it's that way on Harleys and Indians, I can't even guess.

Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739326 06/20/18 9:54 pm
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,020
Likes: 4
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,020
Likes: 4
Well you always approach a horse from the left side and I think most of us approach our bikes from that side. I always feel strange when I have to get on the bike/pull it upright or start it from the right side.

That said, I actually have no idea.


Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739329 06/20/18 10:51 pm
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,746
Likes: 2
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,746
Likes: 2
Jiffy stand on the left, is an anti gravity deterrent! right side shift, right side kick start, goes with bike design. jumping down on kicker with a right leg seems to work better for most. Less chance of bike tip over?
In 1968 when Honda destroyed the Brit Bike industry with the big CB-750 they added the right thumb button to ease up right leg injuries.
This is just my SWAG

Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739333 06/20/18 11:34 pm
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 28
Likes: 1
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 28
Likes: 1
Some of the more inspired designs (for instance Vincent and Honda CT110) had TWO side stands, one on either side. This made it more convenient to allow for the camber of the surface that you were parking on.
Of course, neither of these great designs incorporated the subsequent, brilliant, Japanese invention that consisted of a small rubber wedge that hung below the sidestand pad. If the rider moved off with the sidestand down, the rubber wedge would catch on the ground and flick the stand up before the rigid pad hit the ground. I remember two fatal accidents that occurred here in my home town in the 60s and 70s that were caused by forgotten sidestands.

Last edited by sammysnail; 07/29/18 1:05 pm. Reason: Added second paragraph.

1954 Norton Dominator 88 cafe - Yamaha wheels ( project)
1969 Triumph Bonneville
Currently 6 other non-Brit machines,
including Honda Z50 cafe racer ("SammySnail").
Past history includes 11 Brit and 13 non-Brit machines.
Some impressive and some just silly.
Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739334 06/20/18 11:36 pm
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Well, we sit in the left side of our cars (in the U.S. and a lot of other nations), so we exit on the left side of the car; I guess that's part of the answer. Also, every bicycle I've ever seen also has it's sidestand on the left, and the majority of humans being right-handed probably made it easier to get on and off from the left.
Jim

Re: Sidestands
bodine031 #739336 06/20/18 11:52 pm
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 11,168
Likes: 34
Moto Mojo
Offline
Moto Mojo
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 11,168
Likes: 34
Originally Posted by bodine031
Jiffy stand on the left, is an anti gravity deterrent! right side shift, right side kick start, goes with bike design. jumping down on kicker with a right leg seems to work better for most. Less chance of bike tip over?
........

This is just my SWAG


No idea but this makes sense, at least in my mind laughing


"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739339 06/21/18 1:17 am
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,212
Likes: 36
DOPE
Offline
DOPE
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,212
Likes: 36
it's to take advantage of the influence of the coriolis effect. whenever you put the bike on the sidestand, you lean it to the left and swing the stand out and forward. as the bike settles to the side, it moves slightly backwards, rotating slightly clockwise around the sidestand now digging into the tarmac. the coriolis effect assists the bike in this motion in a manner hardly visible to the naked eye by adding a slight rotational assist, thus increasing the stability of the parking procedure.

if the sidestand were on the right, then the forces would act against each other, and there would be a slight but statistically significant increase in the number of bikes that fell off their sidestands just as you turned your back and started to walk away. this phenomenon was noticed so far back in the developmental history of the motorcycle that hardly anybody remembers it any more.

the effect is somewhat different in the southern hemisphere where the coriolis effect would ostensibly act in a different manner. however, the australians and new zealanders have managed to compensate for the negative effects by sheer determination and fierce stubborness, except in the vicinity of pubs, where their inhibitions are decreased. in pub parking lots their motorcycles fall over on a regular basis, clearly demonstrating the validity of this explanation.


every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Sidestands
kevin #739348 06/21/18 4:16 am
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,815
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,815
Since the cessation of Corio whiskey down here, the effect has ceased to apply to riders themselves when parked ! ( struth, it was horrible stuff , no matter which hemisphere !)

Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739367 06/21/18 10:42 am
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,861
Likes: 2
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,861
Likes: 2
actually, I always mount the bike from the right.
I'm on that side anyway, due to the kickstarter.

I commit what some feel is a cardinal sin, and kick it while on the stand (sort off).
I actually support the bike on the tyres and rely on the stand still being down but not supporting the weight while kicking.

So often, I am on that side.

I did have a left kick bike once, but can't remember what I did

Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739369 06/21/18 11:09 am
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,163
Likes: 8
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,163
Likes: 8
The Aermacchi is a right stand / left kick affair.
When it gets ridden to the Wednesday bike night it looks out of place in the lineup as its the only one that dresses right.
As I'm a complete clutz and cannot use my left leg for anything other than walking, I stand off and use my right leg to start it.

Re: Sidestands
kevin #739382 06/21/18 1:58 pm
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 11,168
Likes: 34
Moto Mojo
Offline
Moto Mojo
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 11,168
Likes: 34
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
it's to take advantage of the influence of the coriolis effect. whenever you put the bike on the sidestand, you lean it to the left and swing the stand out and forward. as the bike settles to the side, it moves slightly backwards, rotating slightly clockwise around the sidestand now digging into the tarmac. the coriolis effect assists the bike in this motion in a manner hardly visible to the naked eye by adding a slight rotational assist, thus increasing the stability of the parking procedure.

if the sidestand were on the right, then the forces would act against each other, and there would be a slight but statistically significant increase in the number of bikes that fell off their sidestands just as you turned your back and started to walk away. this phenomenon was noticed so far back in the developmental history of the motorcycle that hardly anybody remembers it any more.

the effect is somewhat different in the southern hemisphere where the coriolis effect would ostensibly act in a different manner. however, the australians and new zealanders have managed to compensate for the negative effects by sheer determination and fierce stubborness, except in the vicinity of pubs, where their inhibitions are decreased. in pub parking lots their motorcycles fall over on a regular basis, clearly demonstrating the validity of this explanation.


grin

In the Motorcycle Safety Class, we learned to set the bike on the side stand, then turn the handlebars to the left to "set" the bike. This keeps it from shifting in any direction which would cause it to fall over. Seems like Mike's Aermacchi, with it's left-kick and RH side stand would be ideal for them Southern Hemisphere folks.


"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739400 06/21/18 5:02 pm
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 17
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,658
Likes: 17
Having had many happy, fun miles on a 250cc Aermacchi ("Harley-Davidson 'Sprint'") I can relate to Mike's
comments.

The side stand was the easy part. Having to adapt to kicking the start lever on the LEFT side while using my RIGHT foot took some doing. After riding 305 Hondas and 650 Triumphs, I never could adapt to using my LEFT foot to do the job.


Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739404 06/21/18 5:50 pm
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,746
Likes: 2
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,746
Likes: 2
Another "left thing" when we go indoor public skating it's always in left circles??

Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739405 06/21/18 5:51 pm
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,020
Likes: 4
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,020
Likes: 4
My Trials ride for a couple of years was a MODEL 92 BULTACO SHERPA T (350cc). Kick start on left and in a very strange position....side stand on right, with hefty compression 350 so kick starting it was never a joy.....particularly when you were hot and really tired at the end of a Trial.

Just messing with flicker account to see if I could add a photo:
Sherpa T
[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/42039502575/in/dateposted-public/[/img]




Last edited by Alan_nc; 06/21/18 7:01 pm.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739406 06/21/18 6:11 pm
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,073
Likes: 28
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,073
Likes: 28
Didn't the /2 and pre electric start /5 BMW's have left hand kick starters too? IIRC it had to be started on the center stand as well.


1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739407 06/21/18 6:40 pm
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 42
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 42
Thanks for the answers, fellows. The Pursangs also had the kick lever on the left side. Warren

Re: Sidestands
MikeG #739415 06/21/18 9:00 pm
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by MikeG
Didn't the /2 and pre electric start /5 BMW's have left hand kick starters too? IIRC it had to be started on the center stand as well.

You're right, Mike. The kickstarter was a lever similar to a brake lever that swung down to the side and not to the rear, due to the "inline", if you will, gearbox setup on the BMW.
Jim

Re: Sidestands
AngloBike #739417 06/21/18 9:20 pm
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,923
Likes: 16
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,923
Likes: 16
Originally Posted by AngloBike
actually, I always mount the bike from the right.
I'm on that side anyway, due to the kickstarter.

I commit what some feel is a cardinal sin, and kick it while on the stand (sort off).
I actually support the bike on the tyres and rely on the stand still being down but not supporting the weight while kicking.

So often, I am on that side.

I did have a left kick bike once, but can't remember what I did


Of course, what's a short legged person to do, anyway? It's awkward kicking a bike standing straight up and who wants to tip over your bike? With my luck it would be in front of a covey of cheerleaders or something and the tittering and twittering would ring in my ears for hours.

Side stands are devilish contraptions meant to injure and maim the rider, should you even ONCE forget to put it up before riding off. I have, and escaped injury somehow. I was launched straight up into the air only to fall back right in the correct seating position on my bike. Nothing like feeling stupid for motivation to remember.....

Then there's the oil dribbling down the unsealed left side valve guide to help smoke up the neighborhood on start up.

I guess you can tell I hardly ever use the things.

Right, and sure, put two of these hideous things on a bike if one just isn't bad enough. Make sure that no matter which direction you turn, you're going to get a painful lesson.

Cheers,
Bill



Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739420 06/21/18 9:27 pm
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,989
Likes: 11
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,989
Likes: 11
A real bear, '83 CR480, left kick with right foot and no side or center stand!

[Linked Image]


When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
Re: Sidestands
tridentv #739423 06/21/18 9:45 pm
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 471
Likes: 5
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 471
Likes: 5
I had a sidestand extend out to the park position whilst riding my 750 Tribsa under hard acceleration into a left hand bend around the 95 mph mark ! ..first I thought I had a puncture then next thought was f#ck tree as I flew thru the opposite side bank missing a big old oak tree by two feet and landed with the bike chasing me in a field it just missed me.The only damage to myself was a badly bruised ankle and a few aches and pains, bike suffered a dented petrol tank and twisted forks nothing drastic. I now have a extended tang welded to the sidestand which serves two purposes, one is it makes it easier to flick out stand when I park up the other is I can keep a visual eye on position of stand whilst riding to makes sure it is fully home and out of the way.. Dave


1941 BSA WM20
1958 TRI-BSA 750 PRE UNIT
1957 THUNDERBIRD
1932 R E MODEL GS SPECIAL
1947 BSA YM21
Re: Sidestands
HawaiianTiger #740487 07/02/18 7:39 am
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,475
Likes: 41
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,475
Likes: 41
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger


Side stands are devilish contraptions meant to injure and maim the rider, should you even ONCE forget to put it up before riding off. I have, and escaped injury somehow. I was launched straight up into the air only to fall back right in the correct seating position on my bike. Nothing like feeling stupid for motivation to remember.....


My K has a side-stand switch to prevent starting unless the stand is retracted. Gets embarrassing when the bike won't start just as the Harley riders decide to leave the pub.
However, it certainly beats the alternative.


Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Sidestands
bodine031 #740492 07/02/18 11:09 am
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,148
Likes: 29
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,148
Likes: 29
Originally Posted by bodine031
Another "left thing" when we go indoor public skating it's always in left circles??



So is auto and bike circle track racing in the USA.... I always mount a bike from the left...When pushing it up a ramp onto a truck or trailer, I'm always on the left..

i prefer a side stand and remove center stands ,they just get in the way of seeing what's going on under the bike.....Most? new bikes don't have centerstands....


79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati 81 Ducati Pantah 500 ..On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Sidestands
Irish Swede #740894 07/05/18 11:01 pm
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2,623
Likes: 5
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2,623
Likes: 5
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Having had many happy, fun miles on a 250cc Aermacchi ("Harley-Davidson 'Sprint'") I can relate to Mike's
comments.

The side stand was the easy part. Having to adapt to kicking the start lever on the LEFT side while using my RIGHT foot took some doing. After riding 305 Hondas and 650 Triumphs, I never could adapt to using my LEFT foot to do the job.


What??? All this time I thought you hated Harleys and Harley riders too! I thought I was the only Harley rider you would talk with. Now we learn the truth -- many happy, fun miles. thumbsup

BTW, here is my latest addition (sidestand on the RH side):

[Linked Image]

Before you tell me it isn't really a Harley, let's home in on the tank sticker:

[Linked Image]

Ray


'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Re: Sidestands
TR6Ray #740898 07/05/18 11:15 pm
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,815
Britbike forum member
Offline
Britbike forum member
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,815
Looking forward to see what you do with this one, Ray. Always thought these were an interesting motorcycle !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4