BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Otto in DK
Otto in DK
Fyn, Denmark
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 291 guests, and 400 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dan1818, Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks
10419 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 89
Rohan 81
reverb 75
Triless 75
Popular Topics(Views)
710,344 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,308
Posts665,047
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sloper kickstart issues #738204
06/10/18 12:11 am
06/10/18 12:11 am
Canterbury, New Zealand
B
BevanC Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BevanC  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B

Canterbury, New Zealand
Hi folks,
The kick start on my 1929 ohv Sloper doesn't engage with the rachet until almost horizontal; even then, it jams, so that I have to use the clutch to depress it a bit more before I can kick it over. This means that there is a quite small angle through I can actually kick the engine over.

I've made a short video clip showing the ks rest position, the angle that it first starts to engage with the rachet, and a view down the oil filler of the quadrant rotating:

https://youtu.be/CV24Rj3COAA

I know that it is common to relieve the first quadrant tooth to stop the jamming issue, which would also increase the angle before it first engaged, but it does not appear that this has been done to mine. I'm reluctant to do that since it will make the limited kick start travel even worse.

So, my questions are:
- is the angle at first engagement typical for this bike/gearbox ? It appears to have the correct kick start mechanism.
- what could I do to prevent the jamming other than filing off the leading tooth ?
- how could I increase the effective angle of travel to make starting easier ?

I realise that I need to take the box apart to investigate further, but it would be helpful to get some suggestions about what to look for etc beforehand.

Cheers,
Bevan

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Sloper kickstart issues [Re: BevanC] #738323
06/11/18 4:46 am
06/11/18 4:46 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
I gather this problem is with a new rebuild and not something just happened.
The immediate assumption would be either the quadrant or the pawl is the wrong part.

As BSA made their own boxes using many common parts oft with several similar looking parts machined from the same forging or casting there is a good chance of them being wrong.
Got a few boxes from the same era that one day might see active service ( if I live long enough ) and most of them grab after aboyt 30 deg or pedal movement.

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 06/11/18 4:48 am.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Sloper kickstart issues [Re: BevanC] #738325
06/11/18 5:06 am
06/11/18 5:06 am
Canterbury, New Zealand
B
BevanC Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BevanC  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B

Canterbury, New Zealand
Thanks Trevor. The bike was rebuilt by Motomania in Hungary, so I have no idea of the nature of work done. Will take it apart in due course and see what's what.
Cheers, Bevan

Re: Sloper kickstart issues [Re: BevanC] #738503
06/12/18 1:10 pm
06/12/18 1:10 pm
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
The quadrant should have been a forging so should have the unmachined forging number on it.
It should be a few digits different to the parts number in the parts book.
Again if the same forging was used on a lot of bikes then that will not be of too much help.

Deades ago I started on a project to load all of the BSA numbers into a searchable database.
Gave up on it . Now that OCR has improved no end there is a slim chance of getting back into it as all the old heads who could tell you it was used on the Model R's & W's except for the USA expors are falling offtheir perches.

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership