BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
dakota
dakota
Belgium
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
33 registered members (BeezaBryan), 204 guests, and 406 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nomdegom, Andy Mac, kwbikr, RandomTask, George Henstorf
10379 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Mori55 94
NickL 85
Stuart 83
DavidP 79
reverb 73
Triless 68
Popular Topics(Views)
687,970 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,995
Posts661,431
Members10,379
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 37 1 2 33 34 35 36 37
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736463
05/24/18 8:47 pm
05/24/18 8:47 pm
Aus
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Offline
BritBike Forum member
N
Aus
Oh well, nothing ventured etc.

Lamas are bigger than frogs.
No room for sanity here.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736479
05/24/18 11:44 pm
05/24/18 11:44 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Online content OP
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
When it came to de corking the timed breather, which was an oily hell around the chain guard,( from the Catch bottle overflow) I had to remove the guard and chain to get half a chance, using artillery forceps and an LED torch, after the sun was over the hedge , I could see the plug and just , only just get a grip with the forceps, it came out very easily hmmm, although the oil spill was a negative result, the fact that the cork hadnt popped means the crankcase pressure could not have got much over atmos. So , a minor result, the reed valve might still work , but not in this location, I may try fitting it to the tach drive hole , at least there its not being sprayed from the flywheel, if that doesnt work, the top of the timing chest or the rocker cover might work?

With the temp catch bottle in yer geggy by the clocks, the smell of fuel was noticeable when running,, like running behind a car with the choke on. Its perhaps running a little rich at the pilots, doesnt need as much choke as before, didnt expect that, this rules out using the top of the oil spline for a plenum to take the breather dicharge, theres not a huge flow out of it even when revved, an interesting device.

Top tip, a 1/2" diam NIB magnet on a telescopic aerial, made pulling the chain tail out from under the gearbox sprocket a breeze

Took it out for a spin at the magic hour, side stand grounds on Left handers, , will try to fix this ASAP, otherwise all good, a great evening for the Creran loop, top sunset with Mull and the isles glowing in the dusk. Rode home in the dark after a tea stop, , Wipac Quadoptic lamp is truly brilliant. Happy days.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 05/24/18 11:53 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736481
05/24/18 11:54 pm
05/24/18 11:54 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa
ohio, usa
gavin, just what exactly are artillery forceps?

i don't even know where to start guessing.

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: kevin roberts] #736498
05/25/18 5:22 am
05/25/18 5:22 am
scotland
triton thrasher Offline
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Offline
BritBike Forum member
scotland
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
gavin, just what exactly are artillery forceps?

i don't even know where to start guessing.

Artillery Forceps.
1960s rock band.

Last edited by triton thrasher; 05/25/18 5:24 am.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736513
05/25/18 9:41 am
05/25/18 9:41 am
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
"Artillery forceps", long handled fine nosed doctors pliers, with a self lock function, I think originally designed for pulling musket balls out of humans, fisherman use them for getting hooks out of fishes mouths, particularly bitey fish like pike. Very handy tool for hard to reach places.

This sort of thing, https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/artillery-forceps-curved_50002419731.html, mine have longer reach.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736522
05/25/18 11:43 am
05/25/18 11:43 am
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
The breather works best if there is a plenum in between, so using the primary case like on the B50’s and sharing the oil or as the factory A65 racers had was from a fitting just above the cam pinion. I put mine opposite the cam shaft, and worked a pipe from out of the case... works really well but probably not needed unless you’ve adjusted the valve timing from standard. It was noticeable with my spitfire cam and not with my megacycle cam... maybe megacycle cut the slots more accurately than BSA did????? Anyway, I’ve blanked it off on mine at the moment as it seemed to pump oil when i was riding very spiritedly, and would start emptying the tank, just touring with no heavy acceleration and it didn’t use a drop. So I’ll see how that changes after blanking it off.

beerchug
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736526
05/25/18 12:41 pm
05/25/18 12:41 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa
ohio, usa
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
"Artillery forceps", long handled fine nosed doctors pliers, with a self lock function, I think originally designed for pulling musket balls out of humans, fisherman use them for getting hooks out of fishes mouths, particularly bitey fish like pike. Very handy tool for hard to reach places.

This sort of thing, https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/artillery-forceps-curved_50002419731.html, mine have longer reach.

in america we call those "roach clips."

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736556
05/25/18 5:50 pm
05/25/18 5:50 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Got the head re torqued, centre front rocker cover fastener had vibrated out, 2 of the 5 bolts and all four nuts took from an 1/8 to 1/4 turn to come back up to torque,
put some nutlock on the centre fastener during re assembly.

looking for a 71 rocker cover, if anyone has one to spare/ sell/ trade.

Your real-world MPG average is 57.09, covering 136 miles using 2.38 gallons of fuel.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736620
05/26/18 6:02 pm
05/26/18 6:02 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
pics today, managed to retract the side stand a couple of mm at the stop nut. leaned the pilots another 1/8 th turn per side, running well.

edit, just re read the bit about valve clearances, should be running 4 and 6 with the alloy push rod / barrel combo,, not 2 and 4 as I miss remembered. off to rest tappets, bugger!

Attached Files IMG_0913.JPGIMG_0912.JPG
Last edited by gavin eisler; 05/28/18 3:47 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736875
05/28/18 11:28 pm
05/28/18 11:28 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Got the tappets reset to 4 and 6 ,

Some thing has changed the carburetion, either flattening the head, or something to do with the ports or the headwork? Its been rich at the first stage of throttle since it was rebuilt. no choke needed as before, and feeling woolly at low throttle openings
Investigating the rich running ,tried 3 1/2 slides , from 3s as fitted, better, needed some choke from cold , tried to do the pilots up the glen but the midges got the better of me,( its been hot , went through one cloud of bugs that felt like rain) in a hurry, forgot to block off the balance pipes, trying one carb at a time , one plug out , got very poor results, lowering the throttle stop has little effect when the balance pipe is connected, in fact I couldnt get the idle below 1100 with the pipe connected, and the pilot mix adjustment is blurry, when both plugs were put on the idle was not good , super low about 500 , tweaked each throttle stop a 1/2 turn and it settled at 1,00.

I tried but I know they are not right, will do it properly tomorrow. Better now with the 3 1/2 slides.

This is a little strange, it definitely wouldnt run with them before , pretty sure I matched the port shapes, I did spend a lot of time on the CC perhaps that has changed something, dunno,
Changing the slides has probably put the carbs out of synch, will do the full set up soon.
Checked the chokes retract , yup, they go all the way up.Port filler is still there but is turning black, the last stuff did that too.
I suppose the other jets will need looked into, although it still picks up cleanly 1/4 to half and beyond, didnt like choke at 1/2 throttle, cant be far away.

Side stand clearance is better, but its so tucked in I can barely catch it with my boot, it needs a knoble ,

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736905
05/29/18 6:39 am
05/29/18 6:39 am
Aus
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Offline
BritBike Forum member
N
Aus
You may find the port mod makes the pilot system a bit rich, enlarging the drillings in the needle jet by a thou or two might be the answer.
Need 1 thou inc drills though, i used some pcb ones i had.

The best place for the breather is at the top of the timing chest above the cam pinion, don't worry about that reed valve thing just a piece of tube is fine.

Last edited by NickL; 05/29/18 6:44 am.

No room for sanity here.
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736916
05/29/18 11:04 am
05/29/18 11:04 am
scotland
triton thrasher Offline
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Offline
BritBike Forum member
scotland
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
Got the tappets reset to 4 and 6 ,

Some thing has changed the carburetion, either flattening the head, or something to do with the ports or the headwork? Its been rich at the first stage of throttle since it was rebuilt. no choke needed as before, and feeling woolly at low throttle openings
Investigating the rich running ,tried 3 1/2 slides , from 3s as fitted, better, needed some choke from cold , tried to do the pilots up the glen but the midges got the better of me,( its been hot , went through one cloud of bugs that felt like rain) in a hurry, forgot to block off the balance pipes, trying one carb at a time , one plug out , got very poor results, lowering the throttle stop has little effect when the balance pipe is connected, in fact I couldnt get the idle below 1100 with the pipe connected, and the pilot mix adjustment is blurry, when both plugs were put on the idle was not good , super low about 500 , tweaked each throttle stop a 1/2 turn and it settled at 1,00.

I tried but I know they are not right, will do it properly tomorrow. Better now with the 3 1/2 slides.

This is a little strange, it definitely wouldnt run with them before , pretty sure I matched the port shapes, I did spend a lot of time on the CC perhaps that has changed something, dunno,
Changing the slides has probably put the carbs out of synch, will do the full set up soon.
Checked the chokes retract , yup, they go all the way up.Port filler is still there but is turning black, the last stuff did that too.
I suppose the other jets will need looked into, although it still picks up cleanly 1/4 to half and beyond, didnt like choke at 1/2 throttle, cant be far away.

Side stand clearance is better, but its so tucked in I can barely catch it with my boot, it needs a knoble ,

Gavin

Can you, in a concise way, describe the running problem you have now?

What does spending a lot of time on the CC mean?

Enlarging needle jet drillings is an orthodox procedure that most people never have to do.

Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736918
05/29/18 11:07 am
05/29/18 11:07 am
Aus
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Offline
BritBike Forum member
N
Aus
I accept that, i just thought that the higher speed through the port at smaller throttle openings may have something to do with wihat's going on here.
Plus Gavin is now running inlet guide seals so any weakening effect from air drawn down there is very much reduced.

Last edited by NickL; 05/29/18 11:56 am.

No room for sanity here.
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: NickL] #736929
05/29/18 12:28 pm
05/29/18 12:28 pm
scotland
triton thrasher Offline
BritBike Forum member
triton thrasher  Offline
BritBike Forum member
scotland
Originally Posted by NickL
I accept that, i just thought that the higher speed through the port at smaller throttle openings may have something to do with wihat's going on here.
Plus Gavin is now running inlet guide seals so any weakening effect from air drawn down there is very much reduced.

And I have to accept that you're probably following the story better than me.

Also worth bearing in mind there are smaller and larger needle jets.

Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736933
05/29/18 12:46 pm
05/29/18 12:46 pm
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Allan Gill Offline

BritBike Forum member
Allan Gill  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
Agreed, it will have more pull on the vacuum drawn through the carb, I noticed similar changes when I fitted Ed V's pistons with total seal rings. Soon showed up poor guides!

When I switched to the reduced ports (on all the heads I've done) I had to richen the slide position but lean off the needle setting, if needs be by fitting the longer norton needles. In one instance without them the bike was fouling plugs, with them it ran just right.

On another occasion (and I can't remember what instigated the change) but I couldn't get the mixture lean enough, small port head with 928 carbs fitted (which work well) I fitted the 930's which helped but ultimatey fitted the 932's the bigger throat meant a lower vacuum draw on the jet which corrected the rich mixture.... Sometimes you just can't go lean enough.

On the jet drilling, from memory once you get past around 0.38" drill diameter the size of the hole no longer has any effect. Again from memory that bleed hole size is 0.35"

beerchug
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #736980
05/29/18 7:36 pm
05/29/18 7:36 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Ah, the inlet guides, didnt factor them in.

CC , Combustion chamber, when SRM fitted the big valves they cut the seats to size and did a chamfer each side , but that was it, this rebuild I spent a good few hours blending the cut into the head to the old dome, losing the step change all round the inlet valve, there was a definite lip around the valve perimeter that is now gone so gas is not going over a step at initial valve opening, also spent time opening the plug hole a bit, since the last thread or so was doing nothing with the plug fully home. nothing major just curves instead of hard edges.

But the guide seals, thanks Nick.

That might be it.
A short resume of porting and carb changes,

First time around with the dissolving port epoxy, MJ dropped 2 sizes to 170 , needle became the commando type ( different taper from the stock 4 stroke) and Njs went down one size to 105s, slide had to be 3s or it spat back on throttle opening, pilot screws about 1 turn out. Needle on middle groove Much leaner all round apart from the throttle slide, I put most of the changes down to increased gas speed in the port ..

Now with the new port filler, same as before , flat floor tapering up to 22 mm height behind guide then long curve to seat. engine needed less choke, and felt woolly not crisp coming off idle to throttle cutaway, first 1/8 or so of throttle.

,fitted 3 1/2 slides last night noticed a crisper response with no lean spitting, better, today, fitted the ballometer balance device across the balance stubs , took it up the hill for 6 miles and got the idles set properly, and checked synch, it was pretty close on synch less than 1/2 turn out, buttoned it up,
much better. performance is at least back where it was before, clutch is lots lighter, gearbox is a dream. apart from the oil mist from the breather and a wee leak at the primary chain adjuster its all pretty fine, touch wood.

Nicks point about the guide seal is a good one, I checked for guide wear when down, the exhausts had just perceptible rock, the inlets felt better, but something definitely changed and that makes sense to me, less dilution needs more air.

After setting the carbs rode into town to replace another broken rear spoke, short side , last spare, thats the 2nd one since the rebuild, one more and its getting Heavier gauge spokes, These were devon rim or CWC , cant remember which, it used to break spokes before, always the short side, that fearsome torque or potholes or maybe both. Went round the other spokes and tightened most of the long side a 1/4 turn or more.

Refitting the tyre managed to nip the tube, didnt notice till it was all mounted and watched it sag off the stand, bugger, it was like the 71 TT after that with a very rapid tyre and tube swap. Also , removed the exhaust and borrowed Alis pipe expander to make the headers a bit tighter, refitted it all with black messy RTV goo, seems to have done the trick , the persistent chuff from the RH header is no more.

All this in the unfeasibly hot sun, must have been hitting 30 in Alis yard, not used to that, sweltering Scotland for the past few days.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #737008
05/29/18 11:30 pm
05/29/18 11:30 pm
Aus
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Offline
BritBike Forum member
N
Aus
30 degs luvly!

I would think you can get the mixture right at the bottom end with the norton needles, they are a fair bit weaker but as stated if you do drill the air bleeds
go very easy, i started with 36 thou on one side only, then both sides etc....takes a while. Did that to compensate for the slides being blanked off at the bottom
when choke slides removed. Can't remember what i ended up with but in hindsight i should have just put the bloody chokes back in!
Bugger about the tyre nipping, been there done that! (more times than i want to remember!)

No room for sanity here.
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #737250
05/31/18 9:13 pm
05/31/18 9:13 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Your real-world MPG average is 55.32, covering 152 miles using 2.75 gallons of fuel.

Re the carb changes, unmentioned but shown in pics, I fitted two new intake rubber to carb clips over the Winter, maybe that has something to do with it, I cant help thinking if it was the guides passing air there would have been a bit of oil smoke as well.

Gahd the heat! My yard was at 24 C at 21:30,after a thrash at the magic hour oil was 60 C, bike was ticking quietly. Bike starting first kick nearly all the time, just choke from cold, no tickling needed, got the pilots / cutaway about right, lots of mixed low speed riding, dawdling in town.
luvvin the new superlight clutch and gearchange, neutral now available from 1st at rest most of the time, refined the 1st gear selector track, cut 3 turns off the plunger spring , clutch with 6.5 plates and 650 springs, , super! Very reccomended, doesnt do any weird stuff , plays nice all the time.
Spent the day hunting for oil leaks and checking engine mounts, lower centre, rear 2x 3/8" and rear lower long 3/8" all took a good 1/2 turn to tight.
Found a drip from the blanked second oil return stub, changed the plug 5/16 bolt for a piece of 5/16 round stock and clamped up , seems to have done the trick, still the usual miasma from the timed breather. Frame sump drain plug nipped up a little.
Result,smoothness returns, good fun tonight.
Posing in town last night, bike attracts old gits like flies and cach. A couple of BeeM riding Swedes wanted to know what BSA stood for, I told them "redundancy".They didnt get it. other pics, temp catch bottle for failed breather , now shelved. Speedo cable with john bull type rubber tie, keeps the frame paint good, these ties are great, I only found out how to use them properly last year, felt like a Numptie when shown how by my smug mate.
The guy giving it too much sun turns out to be the George Street chip shop owner, best chip shop in town, he also has a BSA , just found out , 68 Tbolt, lookin forward to huge haddock suppers from now on.

Attached Files IMG_0914.JPGIMG_0911.JPGIMG_0895.JPG
Last edited by gavin eisler; 05/31/18 11:37 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #737337
06/01/18 5:49 pm
06/01/18 5:49 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
went for a run in the sun, steady cruising at 4k, Your real-world MPG average is 58.33, covering 167 miles using 2.86 gallons of fuel.
Got as far as Aberfeldy, then it started raining, turned round , got warm and dry quick, nice run.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #738113
06/09/18 2:34 am
06/09/18 2:34 am
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
The good news is , the bike doesnt leak a drop when its not running.
Bad news was , it was spitting oil out the breather.Nae pics , too busy.

Top end strip to find mystery noise, source of oil leak at breather and wimpy kick every other stroke.
Broken top ring ,TS top ring,, got new rings fitted now, same type gandini s, fitted to same gaps as before , 8, 12, 8.
Not wild about the rings breaking, found in two pieces, but they had been on and off a couple of times.
Checked wear on the old rings , not much on the top two, oil rings were most worn, from 8 ish as fitted to around 15.
Top two had lost a thou or two .
Ring lnds were all good even the top TS that had the broken one, it was a thou looser, but OKat 3 .
Bores still looking good , no bad marks from the broken ring. One polish mark TS piston skirt edge rear left , maybe the carbon build up at the top tilted it.., dressed the rubbed part of the piston, about a quarter square at the skirt edge, no big deal.
Both pistons show a little blow by at the narrow part of the bores centred around the gudgeon pin inner, not bad, , the rest is totally clean.
Gudgeon pin is fine , just a brown line, under the crown is ran to brown, nothing weird.

The piston with the broken ring had carbon on the top section between the crown and the top ring, near the inlet side, piston pockets also showed heavy carbon in the corner lip, mmm, the last port load maybe, however ring lands were OK, the broken ring was thinned , beaten to look like a Dykes ring, inner very worn.
Looking harder at the piston its clear that the side away from the plug gets dirty fastest. I have contacted Ed V to see if he can supply 79 mm pistons.
Both sides the carbon was pretty sooty, so still a bit rich somewhere , the rhubarb cleaned up he valves but didnt shift all the black in the chamber.

Must have been broke for a wee while. oh well, onwards and upwards. Might also explain the breather oil gush fiasco.

While the top end was down I boiled the head up in rhubarb, came out well.
Spent too long on the head fasteners, tipped the cut end with solder, neat trick that I learned here , thanks whoever it was.,
Just got it all back together, still have pipes and tank to fit, roaded tomorrow hopefully..

Last edited by gavin eisler; 06/09/18 2:40 am.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #738130
06/09/18 6:23 am
06/09/18 6:23 am
Aus
N
NickL Offline
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Offline
BritBike Forum member
N
Aus
GPM were never the best rings, we used to wear them out very quickly when we used them.
I think we ended up with some jap car rings later on they lasted very well. Old Nissan i think.
Could never get Hepolite ones for B44's.

I hope you had custard with the rhubarb......................

No room for sanity here.
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #738184
06/09/18 8:35 pm
06/09/18 8:35 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
It just struck me that Gandini is the G in GPM , doh!
Finished, repaired the horn earth terminal, , had to grind a little off the horn plastic bell to allow it to sit without the terminal being hit by the bracket,
fitted the pipes , left off the finned rings, used black RTV on all joins. cleans up easy with vinegar.
Tank on , got distracted by a pair of wild ginger hoors , diverting me with swords spears and stirluing engines.
Fired up first kick, piston slap type rattle is gone , yay, had a wee blast at the magic hour, took it easy and attacked a couple of hills to seat the rings, lucky I was dawdling , 2 oriental types in a black car pulled right across the road in front of me at the Achnacloich bends, .
Motor is back to full crispiness, luvly, head retorque tomorrow, midges and rain allowing.
pipes seam to be sealed OK, no leaks at head or rocker either, while it was all down I changed the barrel flange nuts for SS.

Attached Files IMG_0921.JPGIMG_0923.JPGIMG_0924.JPGIMG_0926.JPGIMG_0925.JPG

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #738198
06/09/18 11:34 pm
06/09/18 11:34 pm
OZ
Triless Online content
BritBike Forum member
Triless  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
OZ
Is that a pic of doing a William Wallace thing to those Oriental types ?

Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: Triless] #738210
06/10/18 1:25 am
06/10/18 1:25 am
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Originally Posted by Triless
Is that a pic of doing a William Wallace thing to those Oriental types ?

I wish they had been there at the time, it s a trickly corner, Highland Cows, if you have never seen them before you stop dead,, not entirely unexpected not great for traffic flow. the swordsmen are Frasers, Green one has a basckett hilted broadsword from the 45 , the other is a ceremonial from the London sword place since whenever, dated 1844, the spear is a typical short spear from Zambia.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Re: alloy barrels + 5 speeds A65 750 OIF 1971 [Re: gavin eisler] #738512
06/12/18 4:14 pm
06/12/18 4:14 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Retorqued the head all outer nuts and centre bolt moved, the 4 long bolts didnt. This was after a brief 20 mile jaunt to heat cycle.
Nipped up the barrel flange , put in some running in miles.

your real-world MPG average is 65.75, covering 168 miles using 2.56 gallons of fuel.

During this tankful the on board dyno ( clutch slip ) tells me the motor is perkier, whipped off the primary and added one turn to all three clutch springs, noted a fair bit of debris from the initial settle in.

fuel use reflects fairly gent;e riding with the odd burst to seat the rings, motor sounds wonderful, just the usual rustle from the valve gear.
Fitted the kpnis back on, big improvement. mostly in ground clearance, sits better on the stands too.
Just done the first 100 oil change, noted a fair bit of iron fur on the magnet ( new rings presumably), sawed open the oil filter, might have been a senseless waste of human effort, now its full of hacksaw filings, and its oily, apart from sweating a lot and doing in a blade ( these Wix filters are well made) I didnt learn much.edit, I just watched a you tube how to on this, should have used the lathe, doh!.

Redid the ignition timing, I had messed with it trying to retard , but ended up unsure of the amount, when checked it was a shade advanced past the mark, reset to a shade before the mark ( slightly retarded), it ran smoothest like that before.

Also for kicks, used an old fecked brake lever as an experiment to try lessening the clutch pull , repop levers are wrong for this year, should be 7/8" CTC , but the repops are 1.125", plugged the nipple hole and redrilled the hole to a 7/8" distance between pivot and nipple, this results in a very easy lever pull even with the springs done up an extra turn. will do this do a decent lever for a more permanent fix.

The bike is huge fun to ride, starts first kick, goes well, handles a treat, back on with wearing it out. i am particularly luvvin the sidestand, no more grunting and heaving. idles well in traffic, when dawdlers are encountered , changing down two gears usually alerts the driver.
Might take it to the Bob mac at East Fortune this WE if the weather holds out, a month with no rain so far, incredible.
Pics up the Kilchrenan road, looking over to Ben Cruachan.

Attached Files IMG_0928.JPGIMG_0933.JPGIMG_0929.JPGIMG_0932.JPG
Last edited by gavin eisler; 06/12/18 6:29 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
Page 35 of 37 1 2 33 34 35 36 37

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership