BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Phrog
Phrog
Sydney, Australia. I might be down under but I can still throw a leg over.
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (ArmyMutt), 216 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Juan Cisneros, Willie, JohnS, Micke, Speedi594
10338 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 119
DavidP 70
reverb 69
Popular Topics(Views)
663,258 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,727
Posts657,997
Members10,338
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
cam shaft quill broken. :( #736388
05/24/18 2:24 am
05/24/18 2:24 am
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
rocketscientist Online content OP
BritBike Forum member
rocketscientist  Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
52 MAC woes continue;

I pulled off the timing cover, to remove the magneto to send it off to have the sparks reinstalled. All was fine, until I noticed the oil quill on the cam pinion spindle was broken off, and left sticking in the timing cover.

In a perfect world, I would removed the cam and replace the shaft. However, that shaft is an interference fit, and would be a PITA to do, maybe impossible, with the engine still in the frame in the full up bike.

What is a lubrication work around for the cam shaft??????????

Option 1: I was thinking that the retaining nut outer edge on the steady plate is nearly flush with the oil supply boss in the cover. Cut an O-ring to fit on the face of the nut. When the cover is put on, the O-ring would compress against the face of the oil

Option 2: grind off the remaining quill piece from the cam shaft. make another quill to jbweld into the end of the shaft, to extend into the oil boss on the cover.

Option 3: cry and sell the bike.

Last edited by rocketscientist; 05/24/18 2:36 am.
Support your #1 Velocette Forum

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
Velocette Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, Velocette motorcycles on e-Bay North America

Re: cam shaft quill broken. :( [Re: rocketscientist] #736485
05/25/18 12:23 am
05/25/18 12:23 am
Australia
Joolstacho Offline
BritBike Forum member
Joolstacho  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Australia
I suppose the only way it could break off is mismatched timing cover/timing CC half. Any ideas how it broke off?

Option 1 is good, that's an 'known' mod, o-ring to ensure oil doesn't 'escape'.
Option2 good BUT I personally wouldn't use JB Weld for something like this 'mission-critical' application, -It's just an epoxy glue after all and there's very little surface area for the glue to fix.
unless you can accurately drill deep into the shaft.
Maybe cut it flush, then drill in maybe 1/8", and silver-solder in a short length of steel or DuBro brass tubing, - maybe that'd do it?

I've never pulled one of those camshaft spindles, but seems to me if you could fabricate a puller (using the existing thread on the spindle), I don't see why, with the heat spanner, it wouldn't extract.
A tricky job though, agreed. Though possibly one of those jobs (like extracting the oil pump) that looks harder than it actually is once you've done it once.

(BTW, especially need to watch out for the lower quill jet that feeds the crank,
because if it's not correctly aligned and adjusted, it wears, breaks off and you lose oil pressure to the big end).

Sympathy. Sorry I don't know of an easy fix.

Yes cry by all means, (but don't sell!)

Re: cam shaft quill broken. :( [Re: rocketscientist] #736603
05/26/18 1:05 pm
05/26/18 1:05 pm
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
I'm going to drill and set a new quill into the shaft. 3/16 OD should work. That's .1875 the quills measure slightly under at .185. I'll carefully drill in and set it with loctitle bearing/sleeve retainer. Its no load, just heat and vibration. I won't walk into the shaft, only towards the case IF it moves.

How did it break? prob. when the cover was removed, earlier in its life....or possibly by me? don't know. Just when I opened it, the quill was stuck in the cover. when I tried the quill into the cover, it was a tight fit....maybe it cracked on assembly 60 yrs ago!!!!!! and was fine over that period. who knows.

Re: cam shaft quill broken. :( [Re: rocketscientist] #736606
05/26/18 1:35 pm
05/26/18 1:35 pm
Australia
Joolstacho Offline
BritBike Forum member
Joolstacho  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Australia
Yes, good solution. I wonder how hard that shaft is.

Re: cam shaft quill broken. :( [Re: rocketscientist] #737203
05/31/18 1:00 pm
05/31/18 1:00 pm
Ontario , Canada
R
RGSROB Offline
BritBike Forum member
RGSROB  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Ontario , Canada
if you are successful drilling the cam spindle,say la large enough hole for oil to pass through, could you just fit a quill into the timing cover

Re: cam shaft quill broken. :( [Re: rocketscientist] #737861
06/06/18 2:45 pm
06/06/18 2:45 pm
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
Used a diamond grinder bit to start the hole where the quill was broken. Once in approx. 1/16....the shaft is softer. the oil passage acts as a pilot hole, so I could hand drill . I'm going in with a 3/16", to a dept of 1/4" only. I don't want to weaken where the threads end and the shaft begine. The steady plate nut bears down at that point.

Now the the hole is drilled, I'm fitting the new quill. Had to sand the OD slightly, and will bearing retainer it in place. The outer part of the quill is machined down slightly under 1/16 . Picts to follow.

Re: cam shaft quill broken. :( [Re: rocketscientist] #739751
06/24/18 10:08 pm
06/24/18 10:08 pm
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
quill repair. done

Attached Files 20180624_114643_resized.jpg

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership