BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Otto in DK
Otto in DK
Fyn, Denmark
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 291 guests, and 400 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dan1818, Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks
10419 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 89
Rohan 81
reverb 75
Triless 75
Popular Topics(Views)
710,344 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,308
Posts665,047
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? #737512
06/03/18 8:32 am
06/03/18 8:32 am
Lytham St. Annes, UK
A
Andy Carr Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Andy Carr  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
A

Lytham St. Annes, UK
After a several oil changes I have yet to find a way of getting the oil out of the oil tank without dunping some on the frame, exhaust and floor. Yesterday I tired to deploy my "custom" funnel made from a plastic 1 litre milk container carefully cut to fit under the bottom of the oil tank, with a curtain of newspaper to shield the frame and exhaust. Some oil still foundi its way to where it shouldn't be.

Any pearls of wisdom out there?

1973 Lightning
1966 Lightning

So lightning does strike twice.
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: Andy Carr] #737513
06/03/18 9:26 am
06/03/18 9:26 am
England
F
ferretjuggler Offline
BritBike Forum member
ferretjuggler  Offline
BritBike Forum member
F

England
You can buy a posh electric pump, wot pumps the oil out through the tank filler.
Of course this won't clean any gauze filters etc, but it will avoid oil everywhere.

Of course you could always weld a threaded boss into the sump plate of the engine and fit a drain plug.
Just running the engine at tickover should dump most of the oil without damaging the crank.
However you might feel a bit of a **** if the plug fell out while you were riding it.

Last edited by ferretjuggler; 06/03/18 9:27 am. Reason: Bad grammar
Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: Andy Carr] #737522
06/03/18 12:15 pm
06/03/18 12:15 pm
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
Go to a boat shop & buy a marine sump pump.
Not only can you do a totally clean oil change but you can suck the gunk out of all the corners that usually do not drain.
I got one when I bought the mowr repair shop and would not be without it.
They range from the simple big syringe type ( not real good ) through vacuum pumps ( like a brake bleeding pump ) in sizes from 2 litres to 10 litres and then you go electric.
I can litterally suck oil off the workshop floor with mine ( 6 litre ) using the smallest of the 4 pick up tubes.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: BSA_WM20] #737524
06/03/18 12:45 pm
06/03/18 12:45 pm
Ipswich England
wbabojo Offline
BritBike Forum member
wbabojo  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ipswich England
Wow, I'm off to get one, it's about 5 miles to the nearest one here, but hey, this sounds like the best thing since sliced bread as they say.

Gavin
You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: Andy Carr] #737529
06/03/18 2:10 pm
06/03/18 2:10 pm
Lytham St. Annes, UK
A
Andy Carr Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Andy Carr  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
A

Lytham St. Annes, UK
Yes I guess that's the answer. Pump it out. I'll see if I can pick a pump up, Once the oil is removed the mesh filter can be withdrawn and cleaned.

1973 Lightning
1966 Lightning

Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: ferretjuggler] #737530
06/03/18 2:12 pm
06/03/18 2:12 pm
Lytham St. Annes, UK
A
Andy Carr Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Andy Carr  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
A

Lytham St. Annes, UK
Yes I guess that's the answer. Pump it out. I'll see if I can pick a pump up, Once the oil is removed the mesh filter can be withdrawn and cleaned.

1973 Lightning
1966 Lightning

Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: Andy Carr] #737597
06/04/18 12:03 am
06/04/18 12:03 am
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
The pumping sounds like an excellent idea, but for what it's worth, here's what I do: First of all, I have a galvanized goose-neck funnel. I've had it for a long time, and I don't see them in the stores these days, so I'm not sure how available they are. Anyway, I bungee the funnel to the frame so that the edge is just under the drain plug and the gooseneck is hanging down over a pan. But first, I tie a rag around the outlet spigot. Then, drain away - I can even tip the bike to the right to get the last bit out. The rag collects some oil, but all that's on the bike is a smear here and there, easily cleaned off.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: Andy Carr] #737627
06/04/18 7:56 am
06/04/18 7:56 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
My pump
This is the one I use.
The tall shape makes it easy to measure the volume of oil that comes out.
10 pumps will drain 2 literes .
If you like to inspect your old oil for chunks then you can pour it out through a funnel into an old container.
The spout does not spill but the tubes do tend to drip a little if not fully drained.
The 4 & 6 liter waork better cause you can pump them down a long way, stick the tube in then walk away till you hear the tubes sucking air.
You can also drain your car through the dip stick tube, if you can get the pump into a convienent position.

Like the Dremels and the Dillion torches, people come around and see me using it then go get one for themselves.

If you have one of those lawnmowers that you have to lift up & tip sideways to change the oil they are double good.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: Mark Z] #737632
06/04/18 9:53 am
06/04/18 9:53 am
Lytham St. Annes, UK
A
Andy Carr Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Andy Carr  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
A

Lytham St. Annes, UK
Thanks for the advice, I've found a pump!. This did get me thinking about the this issue, and reminiscing about a Harley Sportster I had some years ago, where the drain pipe was flexible, and fastened to a bung built into the frame when not in use, then at oil change time pulled free over a container. Neat.

1973 Lightning
1966 Lightning

Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: Andy Carr] #737636
06/04/18 12:25 pm
06/04/18 12:25 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member

Central Virginia
I've often wondered about getting one of those oil-sucking pumps ... but on a car with a long dipstick tube and a crowded crankcase, how are you sure that you're getting the tube all the way to the bottom of the sump .... ?

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: Lannis] #737730
06/05/18 7:46 am
06/05/18 7:46 am
Lytham St. Annes, UK
A
Andy Carr Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Andy Carr  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
A

Lytham St. Annes, UK
You're right Lannis, I can see problems clearing all the sediment out through the dip stick hole. On the A65 it is probably a more complete improved solution compared to draining through the plug hole on the main stand.

1973 Lightning
1966 Lightning

Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: Andy Carr] #737732
06/05/18 8:08 am
06/05/18 8:08 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by Andy Carr
Thanks for the advice, I've found a pump!. This did get me thinking about the this issue, and reminiscing about a Harley Sportster I had some years ago, where the drain pipe was flexible, and fastened to a bung built into the frame when not in use, then at oil change time pulled free over a container. Neat.

most of the top end Zero turn mowers have gone over to that system with a bayonete valve on the oil drain.
Nice & clean then they put the oil filter either upside down or on it's side in a position that it is impossible to remove without emptying on the way to getting it out.

And Lannis, like was mentioned might work on some cars but definitely works on motorcycles.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Is there a clean way of changing A65 pre OIF oil? [Re: Andy Carr] #737763
06/05/18 5:09 pm
06/05/18 5:09 pm
Farnham, Surrey, UK
gunner Online content
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
but on a car with a long dipstick tube and a crowded crankcase, how are you sure that you're getting the tube all the way to the bottom of the sump .... ?

Good question and for info a couple of years ago I decided to drop the sump, change the oil pump and clean out the sump on my Audi TT Coupe 225 which I have owned from new.

Whilst doing this work, I decided to check whether a plastic tube inserted through the dipstick would reach all the way to the bottom of the sump and be able to suck out all the oil.

The answer for my car seemed to be that the tube did reach the base of the sump and therefore was able to suck out the majority of the oil. I do accept that using the drain plug may be slightly better as a little more oil might be extracted. However given the ease of use I have no problem recommending these oil extractors combined with regular oil & filter changes.

As discussed these oil extractors are very useful on classic bikes as the oil can be sucked from the tank in a couple of minutes with no mess. This is especially useful when laying up bikes over winter as an empty oil tank cant wet sump.

For info as well as the vacuum suction type extractor as mentioned by Trevor, there are also electric versions available Like This One

Last edited by gunner; 06/05/18 5:09 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership