BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
injunmort
injunmort
sugarloaf ny
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (Alan_nc), 193 guests, and 437 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hondapete1950, Gaspare, eberhard, Norman Woollons, LandoLando
10257 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 77
Lannis 60
TBolt72 46
Popular Topics(Views)
609,510 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,125
Posts651,425
Members10,257
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien #737318
06/01/18 3:14 pm
06/01/18 3:14 pm
Batavia, OH
B
Bear Hall Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bear Hall  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B
Batavia, OH
So I have a 67 A65la. With 781.2 miles on it.

I know for a fact it's been sitting since the early 80s. My old man brought it home when I was about 10 years old. He tried riding it around for a couple of days, but he's no rider... so it sat in the garage until a few years ago when I got it from him. There were some mistakes made in the 90s, and it no longer has a title, so I've been trying to work that out since my state changed its laws to make that very difficult.

The story of the bike before my Dad brought it home, is that the original owner died in Vietnam, not too long after purchasing the bike, and it sat in his wife's garage until we got it.

So... it's basically as it was on the sales floor. Except for the rust and dry rot, which is pretty much what you would expect.

The only things broken are the turn signal switch, the mirror, and the right lid of the saddle bags. Heavy rust on the rims and chain guard,. Some pitting on the fenders and tank but you can only see it up close. A small scratch on the tank paint.

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737320
06/01/18 3:40 pm
06/01/18 3:40 pm
Batavia, OH
B
Bear Hall Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bear Hall  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B
Batavia, OH
So my questions are probably obvious, but I gotta ask anyway.... Do I replate the bad parts, and let the somewhat okay parts be as is... or buy new old stock... or just spend several years replating and painting
everything?

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737323
06/01/18 3:54 pm
06/01/18 3:54 pm
Scotland
kommando Online content
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
New rims in stainless with stainless spokes are the way to go on the wheels, then as good mudguards and chain guards are thin on the ground get them replated. The tank as long as the metal is good is also a replate and new paint job.

Are you sure the turn switch is not a dip switch as turn lights were not fitted as std until 71.

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737332
06/01/18 5:09 pm
06/01/18 5:09 pm
Batavia, OH
B
Bear Hall Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bear Hall  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B
Batavia, OH
Well I have turn lights

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737333
06/01/18 5:10 pm
06/01/18 5:10 pm
Batavia, OH
B
Bear Hall Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bear Hall  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B
Batavia, OH

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737334
06/01/18 5:18 pm
06/01/18 5:18 pm
Batavia, OH
B
Bear Hall Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bear Hall  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B
Batavia, OH
Indeed, it does have a few aftermarket parts out on by the original owner, I would assume.

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737335
06/01/18 5:29 pm
06/01/18 5:29 pm
Scotland
kommando Online content
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
Plus blue lights too !!!

So the turn switch will be aftermarket so easily replaced by something of same period.

The front brake is worn as the brakeplate lever is past 90 degrees, so new shoes is advised or you can take the lever off, turn it over and readjust so the brake is on before the lever goes past 90 degrees. As it goes past 90 degrees the leverage reduces, its an annual inspection issue in the UK.

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: kommando] #737343
06/01/18 6:32 pm
06/01/18 6:32 pm
Batavia, OH
B
Bear Hall Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bear Hall  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B
Batavia, OH
Well since my Dad never did anything to the bike, and supposedly it had been sitting since the early 70's at least, I would assume new brakes would be in order. I don't care how good of shape they are in. I'm not trusting 51 year old brake pads.

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737352
06/01/18 8:56 pm
06/01/18 8:56 pm
Scotland
kommando Online content
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
Don't buy new shoes but get the old ones relined by someone such as Vintage Brake, they will fit the right grade and size, they can also arc them if you send them the wheel so sized exactly. The aftermarket shoes use the wrong grades and the wrong lining thicknesses as they sometimes use metric sizes for convenience.

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: kommando] #737358
06/01/18 9:44 pm
06/01/18 9:44 pm
Batavia, OH
B
Bear Hall Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bear Hall  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B
Batavia, OH
I've never even heard of such a thing, but I will surely keep that in mind.

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: kommando] #737360
06/01/18 9:56 pm
06/01/18 9:56 pm
Canada
L
LarryLebel Online content
BritBike Forum member
LarryLebel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
L
Canada
The front brake might not have a switch for the brake light at all. If there is a switch it might be an integral part of the brake cable. I recall comments that cables with the integral switch are prone to breaking (no pun intended) at the switch. Good riding habit calls for using both brakes at the same time so a switch on the front brake is redundant.

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737386
06/02/18 5:47 am
06/02/18 5:47 am
Scotland
kommando Online content
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
Front brake switches did not come until 69, you could fit a 69 cable from a Victor Special which was the only BSA left with the same brake by 69 as the twins were using the TLS brake by then.. Then you would also need to modify the harness to take the switch feed.

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737407
06/02/18 12:25 pm
06/02/18 12:25 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted by Bear Hall
replate the bad parts,
or buy new old stock... or just spend several years replating and painting

From recent threads on here, rub the rusted chromed parts with wadded aluminium foil - removes rust but doesn't scratch good chrome and doesn't leave bits that could start rusting (that, say, wire wool might leave).

Following advice from a chromer, I wax cleaned chromed parts with beeswax - I use a thick liquid (so large areas can be covered with a paintbrush) beeswax polish intended for wooden furniture. I apply it all over a chromed part immediately after cleaning, leave it on while building up the bike, only polishing the visible areas before taking the bike on the road.

Originally Posted by LarryLebel
Good riding habit calls for using both brakes at the same time so a switch on the front brake is redundant.

Here in GB, we're allowed to 'lane split' - ride between lines of stationary or slow-moving traffic; then a rider's foot might not be on the footrest/near the foot brake lever.

I can't think of any situation when I wouldn't use the front brake actually to stop the bike; if any of the two switches is "redundant", ime it's the one actuated by the foot lever.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Stuart] #737453
06/02/18 6:53 pm
06/02/18 6:53 pm
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Offline

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Offline

BritBike Forum member
New Jersey USA
Trying to stop gently on ice or snow with plenty of stopping distance I would use the rear brake only.
However in common I suspect with the vast majority of guys on this forum I do not ride on ice or snow these days.
I learned the above technique the hard way in UK when my bike was my only form of transportation and I had to get to college and work.
HTH

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737460
06/02/18 7:49 pm
06/02/18 7:49 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member
Central Virginia
Wow, I don't see how you could "wear out" the front brake shoes so that the actuating lever was at a bad angle, even if the bike spent all 781 miles on the racetrack.

Perhaps the Smith's speedometer speaks with forked tongue.

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737474
06/02/18 11:24 pm
06/02/18 11:24 pm
Batavia, OH
B
Bear Hall Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bear Hall  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B
Batavia, OH
I took a motorcycle safety course when I got my license, and they said that the front brake should be the only one I use unless a lot more stopping power is needed, so I would have to agree that the front would be more important than the foot, but I'm not experienced enough to discuss it beyond that.

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737476
06/02/18 11:42 pm
06/02/18 11:42 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa
ohio, usa
you really should get in the habit of using them both, at the same time. the front is good for about 70 percent of the braking force (they say . . .) but that 30 percent from the back is something you should use reflexively. in an emergency you will want to be using it without thinking.

that's an excellent machine to start out with. looks like most everything is there including functional electrics.

i remember when that sissy bar was cool, too.

live every day.
die once.
Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737555
06/03/18 5:51 pm
06/03/18 5:51 pm
Mississauga, Ontario.
A
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Adam M.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
A
Mississauga, Ontario.
Before you start plating and painting, take the bike apart and clean all the chromed parts using Stuart's method, the same with all the original fasteners using brass electric wheel - you could be up for a surprise smile.
My friend bought a barn find 69 TR6 with rust much heavier than your BSA on everything, and cleaned it to a good finish - I couldn't believe my eyes.

What you learned on your course apply to motorcycle hydraulic brakes, not so much to this half width SLS front brake you got on the BSA, where using both brakes improves braking power immensely. Keeping your distance from other vehicles ahead of you is also necessary. However what kommando wrote about Vintage Brake shoes is very true.

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737893
06/06/18 9:24 pm
06/06/18 9:24 pm
Batavia, OH
B
Bear Hall Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bear Hall  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B
Batavia, OH
Okay, first things first... PETCOCKS...

The tank has got old gas gunk in it because the Old Man isn't the smartest

So I'm going to take it to a radiator shop for a proper cleaning, but when I went to remove the petcocks, (just got my Whitworths today!!) I ended up stripping the nut on the left hand side. I used the 5/16. But I believe they are glued into the tank by the old gas gunk...

Ideas?

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737937
06/07/18 8:10 am
06/07/18 8:10 am
Australia
M
MattL Offline
BritBike Forum member
MattL  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M
Australia
If the hexagon is rounded then your next option is vice grips (I think you folks call them Mole grips).

Last edited by MattL; 06/07/18 8:11 am.
Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737950
06/07/18 11:08 am
06/07/18 11:08 am
Batavia, OH
B
Bear Hall Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bear Hall  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B
Batavia, OH
Voice grips aren't getting it either. Should I take the tank off and soak the inside in something for a few hours? Vinegar? Diesel? Paint thinner?

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737951
06/07/18 11:18 am
06/07/18 11:18 am
Batavia, OH
B
Bear Hall Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bear Hall  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B
Batavia, OH
Vice grips... Lol. I've never heard of mole grips.

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737961
06/07/18 1:37 pm
06/07/18 1:37 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
E
Ewing. NJ
On the front brake. The old brake shoes were asbestos and could be made to work pretty well. Vintage Brake apparently does a great job, but it is quite expensive and it takes a long time. I am suspicious of the angle of that brake lever on the backing plate. What I would do first is: the shaft the lever is on is splined- try taking the lever off, repositioning it and adjusting the cable to suit. If that doesn't work, take off the front wheel (which you need to do anyway to repack/replace the front wheel bearings and put on a new tire) and look at the brake components. If the shoes are worn all the way down, then your suspicions are correct. If they are not, you need to look further. Get a parts book and start comparing it to your brakes. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of the shims that fits on the end of the shoes is missing, or something similar. It may also be that the drum was skimmed and you need an oversize lining. If that is the case, try adding an additional shim to the end of the shoes. That is not a cure because the shoes will not be making full contact, but it will help you diagnose without having large precise measuring tools. Finally, use a little sandpaper on the shoes and the drum lining to get rid of any rust and/or glazing. Careful on the shoes since they have asbestos in them. Tip, after you have the front brake operating as well as you can, make a new cable from a Triumph Trident clutch cable. Make the cable as short and direct as you can considering the suspension. The Trident cable is much stouter and the cable will flex a lot less. Will make a noticeably favorable improvement in braking.

Ed from NJ

Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: Bear Hall] #737971
06/07/18 4:08 pm
06/07/18 4:08 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Some suggestions,
For the tank, fix the taps by boiling the plungers/ corks in water for a minute or two,, put fuel back in the tank , leave it alone for a week or so,, remove fuel, throw lit matches into the tank for amusement, maybe not, if you have grown up. Purge with exhaust fumes if that sort of thing troubles you, particularly if you are going to use heat to try and free the frozen tap threads.
Try it again maybe without the implements of destruction ( vice grips), I find that an open ended adjustablespanner fits round the main body at the plunger oppo end, no need for the savage vice grips., if that fails ,try heat, heat gun , mind the paint, if all else fails they will need to be drilled out with a drill that will not take out the threads in the tank, once the tap is off , clean out the internal tank threads with a suitable tap. They are BSP threads, so will be a weird size compared to actual diameter ,either 1/4 " BSP or 3/8" IIRC, BSA liked to use the larger size for the tank threads, the fuel line end is usually 1/4 BSP..
I heartily recommend getting all your vice grips and giving them to someone you dont particulary like, there is nearly always a better tool, unless you are welding something, or maybe using them to hold a thing while grinding, I threw mine away 30 years ago and never regretted it.As a mere youth I wrecked a perfectly good pushbike by rebuilding it using vice grips, lesson learned.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: Nube alert. Old Bike with low mileage. No experien [Re: gavin eisler] #738135
06/09/18 7:29 am
06/09/18 7:29 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted by Bear Hall
when I went to remove the petcocks, (just got my Whitworths today!!) I ended up stripping the nut on the left hand side. I used the 5/16. But I believe they are glued into the tank by the old gas gunk.

Mmmm ... 0.600"AF (5/16" Whitworth, 3/8" British Standard) is correct for a petcock nut. Using lots of force on a open-ended wrench 'springs' the jaws but, unless you bought a particularly crap-quality set of wrenches - that sprung the first time you heaved on it - my guess would be your old man used some kind of sealant on the taps because they leaked, and some got on the nut threads. 'Fraid that'll likely take heat to break. frown

Originally Posted by gavin eisler
Purge with exhaust fumes if that sort of thing troubles you, particularly if you are going to use heat

+1.

Try it again
an open ended adjustablespanner

+1. But it has to be very good quality, with jaws that stay parallel when you heave on it. Unfortunately, having already used the ill-advised vice grips, you could well have buggered it too much even for a very good quality adjustable. frown

if all else fails they will need to be drilled out with a drill that will not take out the threads in the tank, once the tap is off , clean out the internal tank threads with a suitable tap. They are BSP threads, so will be a weird size compared to actual diameter

If a 0.600"AF (5/16" Whitworth, 3/8" British Standard) wrench fitted originally, ime they're 1/4"BSP.

To amplify Gavin's post, "BSP" is British Standard Pipe. Being a pipe thread, the "1/4" refers to a nominal inside diameter, not an outside diameter like standard bolts and screws - 1/4"BSP has an outside diameter slightly larger than 1/2". Anyone familiar with US National Pipe threads (NPT and NPS) will be familiar with the measurement principle, although 1/4"NP has a larger o.d. and one less thread per inch than BSP.

I heartily recommend getting all your vice grips and giving them to someone you dont particulary like,

Vice grips and big hammers I either keep somewhere else or lock in a draw ... by the time I've either walked to the "somewhere else" or found the key to the draw, I've calmed down.

Hth.

Regards,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership