BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Otto in DK
Otto in DK
Fyn, Denmark
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 291 guests, and 400 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dan1818, Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks
10419 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 89
Rohan 81
reverb 75
Triless 75
Popular Topics(Views)
710,344 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,308
Posts665,047
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott] #735480
05/16/18 12:35 am
05/16/18 12:35 am
The Northwoods... Michigan
Steve Erickson Online content
BritBike Forum member
Steve Erickson  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

The Northwoods... Michigan
Scott, if he only drilled one small hole to do the tank front, I'm pretty impressed. There is a guy in SoCal, an aircraft industry metalworker, that is truly a master at alloy tanks. Great guy, a very modest man, he won't advertise his skills, but he is kinda "known" by folks though word of mouth (used to be Keith Moore's sidekick/buddy when Keith was alive, I'd guess Desco and Hawaiian Tiger might know who I'm talking about). I wonder if your tank might have been sent to him for the massaging... though he used to pride himself on never opening a tank, always working through the filler.

I once gave him a 441 tank that had a bullet hole right through both sides, in addition to being crumpled and crunched... I wrote it off as non-repairable, any sane person would. Told him to use it for parts, cap, whatever... 2 weeks later, I'm at his garage and he's showing me an immaculate polished Victor tank, looks NOS, and it was the one I gave him.

But an artisan's temperment... I once brought a tank to him straight off a parts bike I'd bought, just a couple dents to be persuaded. A few nights later he phones me, absolutely enraged!!! Turns out this tank has been previously sanded, unbeknownst to me, and the alloy is paper thin. He almost... yes almost, went through the wall when dollying it. Didn't, but it still pissed him off... he yelled at me never to bring him another tank like that! Of course, he still repaired it perfectly, but I always was apprehensive when bringing him another project...

Sorry, I'm rambling, off topic... it is just pretty cool to see the fruit of a true craftsman's labors (even cooler to watch them perform the magick).

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: Lannis] #735606
05/17/18 12:51 am
05/17/18 12:51 am
NY
OriginalScott Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OriginalScott  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

NY
Originally Posted by Lannis
This is really going too be a bike to be proud of. I hope that its overall "feel" and performance on the road meets your expectations! Sometimes the "journey" turns out to be the "destination" ... but I'm sure it'll do anything that a B50 can do .... !

Lannis

Thanks Lannis. I went through this with my Dunstall CB750 cafe racer. I envisioned it as something of a long range GT bike. It is absolutely not that. It is an hour-long torture rack unless I am out on The highway doing at least 55 mph with no stops and traffic. The experience with the CB750 is what pushed me towards doing something else. Rather than do more refinements to it I switched gears and went looking for other bikes that I wanted. It came down to the B50 or a Moto Guzzi Ambassador. There just happened to be a B50 within driving distance and no Ambassadors close enough. I did ride the B50 a little bit before pulling it apart and was very happy with the feel of it.

Originally Posted by Steve Erickson
Scott, if he only drilled one small hole to do the tank front, I'm pretty impressed. There is a guy in SoCal, an aircraft industry metalworker, that is truly a master at alloy tanks. Great guy, a very modest man, he won't advertise his skills, but he is kinda "known" by folks though word of mouth (used to be Keith Moore's sidekick/buddy when Keith was alive, I'd guess Desco and Hawaiian Tiger might know who I'm talking about). I wonder if your tank might have been sent to him for the massaging... though he used to pride himself on never opening a tank, always working through the filler.

I once gave him a 441 tank that had a bullet hole right through both sides, in addition to being crumpled and crunched... I wrote it off as non-repairable, any sane person would. Told him to use it for parts, cap, whatever... 2 weeks later, I'm at his garage and he's showing me an immaculate polished Victor tank, looks NOS, and it was the one I gave him.

But an artisan's temperment... I once brought a tank to him straight off a parts bike I'd bought, just a couple dents to be persuaded. A few nights later he phones me, absolutely enraged!!! Turns out this tank has been previously sanded, unbeknownst to me, and the alloy is paper thin. He almost... yes almost, went through the wall when dollying it. Didn't, but it still pissed him off... he yelled at me never to bring him another tank like that! Of course, he still repaired it perfectly, but I always was apprehensive when bringing him another project...

Sorry, I'm rambling, off topic... it is just pretty cool to see the fruit of a true craftsman's labors (even cooler to watch them perform the magick).

Ramble away. Those guys are quickly disappearing. I had emailed a bunch of well connected people before Don at Metro Racing gave me Joe Abbates name. I will be taking the tank back off soon to strip some paint from the tunnel. I will post a picture or two of the underside and the previous dents.

Thanks
Scott

Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott] #737998
06/07/18 10:34 pm
06/07/18 10:34 pm
NY
OriginalScott Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
The engine parts are in. All the work was done by Ed Valiket. The cylinder head had a broken fin that the P.O. shaped to make it look uniform. You can see the top fin has a large cut out. Ed welded material back in place and shaped it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The head was resurfaced and new guides, valves and springs were installed.

[Linked Image]

The cylinder was bored and a new 86mm JE piston is ready to install.

[Linked Image]

The crank was rebuilt as well with a Carrillo rod and new bearings. The sludge trap was cleaned and the cases assembled.

[Linked Image]

I will be doing the engine assembly over the next few weeks. It's getting there and hopefully will be running soon.

Scott

Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott] #738449
06/12/18 12:40 am
06/12/18 12:40 am
NY
OriginalScott Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
The front wheel is built. I used Buchanan's stainless spokes and nipples. I have to fit the bearings and spacers still. I'm not a fan of the captive axle. It seems more complicated than it needs to be. I ordered the rest of the gaskets today for the engine and will start to put it back together over the next few weeks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scott

Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott] #739855
06/25/18 7:13 pm
06/25/18 7:13 pm
NY
OriginalScott Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
I got the top end back together and the motor back into the frame. Ed V. said the head gasket surface was pretty uneven and recommended that I surface the rocker box.

[Linked Image]

It's getting there.

[Linked Image]

I got the gearbox installed and bolted up the AMAL Premier Concentric and some of the cables. Next up is the clutch.

[Linked Image]

I got the primary side back together. The friction plates are measuring thin at .125" so I will be ordering up a new set. The plain plates are ok at .065" . I replaced the missing thrust washer. Apparently 60 ft./lbs. was too much for the clutch lock tool.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I finished up the motor mounts and then electrical. This included fitting the oil filter, chain guard extension and the exhaust pipe bracket.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I received the new friction plates. They measure .145" . I set the pressure plate screws to 1/8" above the cups and kicked the motor over. There was no wobble. I buttoned up the primary and timing cases. I still have to set the timing but that will be a separate post.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scott

Last edited by OriginalScott; 07/18/18 10:10 pm.
Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott] #742919
07/24/18 1:30 am
07/24/18 1:30 am
NY
OriginalScott Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
Setting the timing:
My points plate only had 1 eccentric adjuster to set the advance / retard. There was a tapped hole where the other eccentric screw should have been to set the points gap. So I decided to drill it to accept another eccentric screw.

[Linked Image]

New hole and eccentric screw.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Points plate back together.

[Linked Image]

My rotor had 2 timing marks, #1 and #2. For some reason I was sure #1 would be the correct timing mark. So I statically timed it with a light across the points to go out as the pointer just hit the #1 mark. I tried to start it up and was rewarded with gunshot like backfires out of the exhaust and puffs of smoke through the carb. After lots of kicking and trying different motor positions to start the process I knew something was wrong. So I pulled the crankcase plug to check the position and it aligned to the #2 Mark on the rotor. Points plate out, advance unit out and restart the static timing procedure.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's Alive! It starts on the 2nd or 3rd kick. There is no muffler or chain on it yet so I haven't been able to ride it but I'm close. Next up is to put a timing light on it.

Scott

Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott] #744113
08/02/18 6:38 pm
08/02/18 6:38 pm
NY
OriginalScott Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
That's The Way
That's the way it ought to be.

The B50 is finished for now. I wanted a B50 that had elements of all 3 variants. Basically MX looks with SS & T streetability. There had to be some changes along the way from what I originally had planned. I would still like to use the NOS dual mufflers but I have the wrong header pipe for those. I decided to go with a 19" rim in the front for street riding instead of the 21" . The side cover transfer says Victor and the frame is a B50T frame but many of the components were off an SS model. I strobe timed it and found it was a little retarded. It now starts on the first kick from cold. The air screw ended up at 3/4 turn out rather than 1-1/2. It revs easily and runs well. I have yet to take it on a longer than 5 minute ride because I still have to make a muffler bracket. Here is my B50:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are some people who without their help this bike would never have gotten built. Thanks to:
Ed Valiket of E & V Engineering
Peter Quick of BSA Unit Singles
Joe Abbate of Cycle Therapy
British Only
Raber 's Parts Mart
And of course the B50 & Britbike forums

A special thanks to all the people who bought parts from me as the budget was blown by the tank and wheels.

Time to put some shakedown miles on it.
Scott

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership