BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Ron T. in KY
Ron T. in KY
Northern KY
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
John finn, West55, Erik M., bunkhouse, dsc5
10980 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 70
DavidP 67
NickL 66
Popular Topics(Views)
1,112,526 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,578
Posts688,021
Members10,980
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
71 registered members (68Newbie), 2,422 guests, and 791 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Not a Bank Holiday .... #734535 05/08/18 8:49 pm
Lannis Online Content OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
The Virginia British Motorcycle Club had a spring outing this weekend, so I fired up the Norton early Sunday morning and headed over to see what was going on. It was at “Osborne’s Landing” on the James River below Richmond, VA.

This is in the Tidewater area of Virginia (the rivers go up and down with the tide) so there’s a lot of flat land … and a lot of the roads look like this:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You’ll notice I’m standing on the center line, with no traffic in sight. It was actually a nice early morning ride …

A few people started showing up at 9:00 AM
[Linked Image]

Some of the bikes ridden in were pretty neat. This one’s a 1928 Henderson Four. The owner has several of them, and this one stays on the road quite a bit:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It sounds really good running!

Another guy was into BMWs. These all ran but were trailered in. We didn’t care, we just wanted to see them. The newest one was an R75/5.
[Linked Image]

and they went all the way back to a 1939 model:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

More ....

Last edited by Lannis; 05/08/18 8:53 pm.

"It needs but one foe to breed a war, not two, Master Warden, and those who have not swords can still die upon them."
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Lannis] #734537 05/08/18 8:54 pm
Lannis Online Content OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
This one was not only the prettiest bike there, but was ridden in the longest distance. Well, of course it’s the nicest one, it’s MINE!
[Linked Image]

I was salivating strongly over this ‘52 FL – reminded me so much of the ‘54 FL I owned and loved. I ought to sell ‘em all and just get one and ride it everywhere, shouldn’t I?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Not everything was an exotic. Some guys just rode in on whatever they had. And someone, no matter what it is, says either “I used to have one of those!” or “I’d love to have one of those!” so it’s all good …
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A bunch of Ducati guys zoomed in, so we old-bike types took them in hand and explained The True Faith …
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The club cooked hamburgers with all the fixings for everyone who showed up, and kept cooking until the last few folks were fed …
[Linked Image]

The weather forecast had been bad for a week; the day turned out beautiful. I’m not listening to any more weather forecasts before a ride!
Nice ride home and job’s a good ‘un. Had to kickstart the Norton, my 2-1/2 year old battery won’t hold a charge. It’ll hold VOLTAGE, but won’t supply current (hurrah for the Load Test!). Got to figure out the right kind of battery for this thing ….

Lannis

"It needs but one foe to breed a war, not two, Master Warden, and those who have not swords can still die upon them."
Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Lannis] #734544 05/08/18 9:59 pm
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Now this is a motorcycle... The color on the interior of the exhaust pipe suggests leaded fuel...

[Linked Image]

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Hillbilly bike] #734552 05/08/18 10:46 pm
C
Class Clown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
I just hope that the rider doesn't have to make a real fast stop......................with that "klaxon" horn mounted where it is. Bet he'd "screech" louder than the horn!!
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself: Jim

Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Class Clown] #734555 05/08/18 11:09 pm
Lannis Online Content OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Class Clown
I just hope that the rider doesn't have to make a real fast stop......................with that "klaxon" horn mounted where it is. Bet he'd "screech" louder than the horn!!
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself: Jim

"Real Fast Stop"? BWAhahahah .... !

Maybe if he hits something.... ! The rider said it's happy at 50 - 55 MPH but you have to plan ahead ....

Lannis

Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: NickL] #734556 05/08/18 11:16 pm
Lannis Online Content OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by NickL
'I ought to sell ‘em all and just get one and ride it everywhere, shouldn’t I?'

No, well not in my opinion anyway (and everyone's entitled to one) I think it's a horrible abomination like 99.999% of HD's.

I had 2 panheads and a shovelhead (two FLH and one FLE [FL with an EL cam]) and they're not bad bikes if you're into really basic riding.

Everything's overbuilt and too heavy, the brake pedal is made from a piece of strap iron that I could make in my shop, the same clutch fits a '48 through an '84 model so that's good, you can fix them on the side of the road with a spoon and an old emery board and the engine will still start if the pistons are going up and down in the cylinder sideways from wear.

BUT like many bikes, if you go over them carefully, turn and fit the brake drums to the shoes, route the cables right, make sure everything is clean and tight, the wheels lined up, bearings good, etc like you'd do a BSA of the same vintage, you can ride it anywhere with no more trouble than an M20 or a B33 ...

Lannis

Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Lannis] #734767 05/10/18 6:37 pm
Peter R Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Nice pics Lannis, thanks for posting, this area reminds me of my country (flat as a pancake). btw, that four in line Henderson looks awsome.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Peter R] #734771 05/10/18 7:08 pm
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Lannis lad, wow... shocked

Now y'all have gone and done it, got me a hankering now for one of them Hendersons. Am I right in thinking it's a single speed... help

Nearly missed this, lad been a tad busy, what with the French having yet another bank holiday, and me having a 23hr day. Still not to worry, I got the re-painted battery holder, and painted carrier all fitted to Cochise. Even managed another start up, much easier now the oil isn't in the sump... grin

Now I've got to see if, and how much a Henderson would cost to ship here, IF I can find one... wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Lannis] #734772 05/10/18 7:21 pm
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Just had a quick mooch, and the place I got Cochise from in California, also sell Hendersons, but they don't have any in at the moment... frown

Then I found this one over here....

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18362/lot/54/

Sold and over 36 BIG ones... shocked

A bit more of them 23hr days I feel, before I can get me hands on one of them buggers lad.... cry

Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Kent Shaun] #734775 05/10/18 7:29 pm
Lannis Online Content OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
Lannis lad, wow... shocked

Now y'all have gone and done it, got me a hankering now for one of them Hendersons. Am I right in thinking it's a single speed... help

Nay lad 'tis a proper transmission and clutch, 3-speed hand shift, pressure oiling (you don't have to pump it) ... when he pulled in on it it was purring like a kitten, very smooth, started first kick, not spattering oil everywhere, very civilized but very antique at the same time if I can say it that way .... They were advertised for 80 MPH when they were new, but he says that the wheels and brakes are more like 50 - 55 and that's where he likes to run it ....

Lannis

Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Kent Shaun] #734809 05/10/18 11:21 pm
Hillbilly bike Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Just had a quick mooch, and the place I got Cochise from in California, also sell Hendersons, but they don't have any in at the moment... frown

A bit more of them 23hr days I feel, before I can get me hands on one of them buggers lad.... cry

I think the KJ is a 100 MPH bike, not that you want to do the ton on it.............I want a Henderson also, I want it now..

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Kent Shaun] #734818 05/11/18 12:00 am
Lannis Online Content OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Online Content
Well'ard Rocker

That's cheap compared to a Brough or Vincent in similar condition. Looks like a bargain to me! A great place to hold a little more of the Retirement Fund that's earning bugger-all percent interest in your bank .... !

Lannis

Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Lannis] #734859 05/11/18 9:15 am
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Lannis lad, funding isn't a problem I'd have to work a bit, but I'd get there in the end. What IS a problem is space, I said to the Lovely Janette about getting a Henderson, she said you'd have to get rid of one, you don't have room for 7....well that ain't happening is it....just sayin

Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Kent Shaun] #734861 05/11/18 10:12 am
Peter R Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Lannis lad, funding isn't a problem I'd have to work a bit, but I'd get there in the end. What IS a problem is space, I said to the Lovely Janette about getting a Henderson, she said you'd have to get rid of one, you don't have room for 7....well that ain't happening is it....just sayin

Shaun lad, I know exactly how you feel, what we actually need is a BIG garage, with a tiny place to live attached to it, don't know why they usually build the opposite way.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Re: Not a Bank Holiday .... [Re: Kent Shaun] #734866 05/11/18 11:25 am
Lannis Online Content OP
Well'ard Rocker
OP Online Content
Well'ard Rocker

Well, looks like you were right ... I made some foolish suggestion sometime back about letting Janette into the shop and maybe let some of her cleaning instincts work to your advantage.

Now she KNOWS how much space is in your shop and how much isn't, and she's doing the calculations for you. If she'd never seen it, she wouldn't know, and you could FIND some way to make it fit - we all do.

So it's too late for that. A word of warning to all of us guys ... Don't count up the receipts after a restoration, and don't count up the bikes in the shed ... both of those activities will lead to pain and heartache if the information gets out ... !

Lannis

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership