BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite Pistons
BritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tridentman
Tridentman
New Jersey USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
some scenic views taken while riding
#733084 04/25/18 9:02 pm
Grandad Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Some members of this site have recently expressed a desire to see more pictures of locations taken during motorcycling rides, after Shaun posted some last week. So here’s a few more gathered during trips out on our bikes.
First I need to explain that our local haunt is East Kent and East Sussex, which covers the pointy bit of South-East England closest to France. Our coastline is long, since the area is surrounded by sea on three sides. The North coast flanks the Thames estuary where it merges with the North Sea. To the East and South, rounding the North and South Forelands takes you to the port of Dover on the shores of the English Channel and eventually to the Romney Marsh and the ancient port of Rye. The terrain is a mixture of marshland and chalky wooded agricultural downland (hilly country) criss-crossed by numerous country lanes. The coastline frequently sports dramatic white chalk cliffs and extensive sandy beaches, interspersed with equally large areas of shingle (pebble) beach.
[Linked Image]
The twin towers of the medieval church at Reculver. Now preserved as a navigation aid for shipping.
[Linked Image]
The sandy beaches and chalk cliffs of the Isle of Thanet
[Linked Image]
A wooded lane near Canterbury
[Linked Image]
The chalky downland near Dover
[Linked Image]
The toll bridge at Sandwich
[Linked Image]
One of the many peculiarities of Sandwich
[Linked Image]
Oldstairs Bay shingle beach at Kingsdown
[Linked Image]
Dover’s famous cliffs as seen from the ferry from France
[Linked Image]
The Bell Inn at Ivychurch on the Romney marsh – a favourite resting place
[Linked Image]
The Royal Military Canal on the Romney Marsh at Ruckinge

Last edited by Grandad; 05/01/18 6:12 pm.

--------------------------------

Don't nail that lid down - I'm still bloomin' breathing !!
Click here to see SPIDER cartoons!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: some scenic views taken while riding
Grandad #733095 04/25/18 10:53 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
One of my favorite parts of the world ... Thanks Grandad!

Lannis

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it."
Grandad #733147 04/26/18 10:49 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Wonderful! Just wish I could get back there again, spend a night or two at Jeak's House B&B in Rye.
Thanks
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Grandad #733149 04/26/18 11:03 am
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Lovely Pix, Grandad. Thanks for posting.
The quaint little village of Sandwich still rings in my memory, although we only drove through it without stopping. The other views are just fabulous tho- what a great little corner of the world.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

ricochetrider #733165 04/26/18 2:00 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Lovely Pix, Grandad. Thanks for posting.
The quaint little village of Sandwich still rings in my memory, although we only drove through it without stopping. The other views are just fabulous tho- what a great little corner of the world.

And of course, with Mr. Ham riding around that part of the world, he had to go past this sign ...

[Linked Image]

Lannis

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it."
Grandad #733173 04/26/18 3:12 pm
Life member
Life member
Fondly remember a photo taken at another sign with arrows to those towns. Don't know what happened to it though. Good memories Grandad. Thanks...

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Grandad #733183 04/26/18 6:08 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Great pix Grandad, thanks for taking us along.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Grandad #733515 04/29/18 9:07 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
...really nice places.
I noticed that not so much oil stain in that pub...
Also that seems there s no wire fences in the countryside and even the sidewalk besides the channel is paved! like in Japan.

reverb #733518 04/29/18 9:12 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by reverb
...really nice places.
I noticed that not so much oil stain in that pub...
Also that seems there s no wire fences in the countryside and even the sidewalk besides the channel is paved! like in Japan.

In that part of the world, every place that there would be a fence between fields already had a hedge or stone fence at the time of the Norman Invasion, and if a fence wasn't listed in the Domesday Book, you don't get to put one up.

Limits farming opportunities a bit, but makes for a very picturesque countryside. You can't beat it for bimbling about on an old motorcycle, or walking on the centuries-old right-of-ways across the country ....

Lannis

Grandad #733543 04/30/18 1:10 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Great pix! thanks

Brian
Grandad #733550 04/30/18 5:15 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
...yes, like you say Lannis.
May be because here all the country side is private (property) and you cannot walk around so I always wonder and dream when I see those trails that you have in many places in USA and in this case in UK (and many other parts of Europe and Japan where I lived for a few months)
All the country side here are large states or started as latifundiums or similar; so not so much people live there and most "internal" roads or small roads like those in UK are not paved roads and have wooden gates (in the parts where you are crossing to another property) along the road. In this way nobody except people who work or live there actually transit by; hence is fantastic for me to see all these small villages with plenty of life.

reverb #733583 04/30/18 2:36 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by reverb
...yes, like you say Lannis.
May be because here all the country side is private (property) and you cannot walk around so I always wonder and dream when I see those trails that you have in many places in USA and in this case in UK (and many other parts of Europe and Japan where I lived for a few months)
All the country side here are large states or started as latifundiums or similar; so not so much people live there and most "internal" roads or small roads like those in UK are not paved roads and have wooden gates (in the parts where you are crossing to another property) along the road. In this way nobody except people who work or live there actually transit by; hence is fantastic for me to see all these small villages with plenty of life.

We've got lots of places to hike here in Virginia where I live, but it can't hold a candle to England, where there are rights-of-way dating back to Roman times, with stone markers showing you where they are ... plus if there's a right-of-way through a field, the farmer has to keep his crop mown down on the path (a meter or so wide) so that people can walk, and they do it, too. Sometimes the paths go right between houses in a village - in Cornwall last fall, we walked right through a cow barn on a dairy farm following the path signs, petting the cows' noses as we went!

Taking a two-day walk in Kent in June one year, it was a bright sunny day. We followed the path right between two gardens in the village of Selling, and in one was a lady working in her garden. She saw us, waved, and came over to the fence to chat once she heard our American accents. Like everyone else in England the first day the sun comes out in the summer, she had taken her shirt off, and had just a very small bikini top which was trying to cover a LOT of territory and not doing very well at it.

It's funny how that works. I kept my eyes on her face as we three (her, Fay, and I) chatted, I know I did, but I could feel laser beams tracking my eyeball position, and when we said goodbye and walked on, it felt quite a bit cooler as we walked, as though the sun had gone behind a cloud ....

I really enjoy walking around there.

Lannis

Grandad #733732 05/01/18 7:54 pm
Grandad Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Lannis is right about the numerous footpaths and ‘Right of Ways’ criss-crossing the UK. I can add that there are also the coastal footpaths which allow you to walk round much of the coast of the UK (barring obstacles like river estuaries and some built up areas). Typical ones are the Saxon Shore Way which follows the coastline of Kent and which eventually merges with the South Downs Way along the South coast. These paths often skirt beaches and cliff-tops.
The majority of these are for walkers only and the main problem for motorcyclists is that you arrive at the nearest parking place dressed up like a dog’s dinner for riding warmly and safely, which is totally inappropriate for a vigorous country walk!! Also it is difficult (and extremely foolhardy) to leave the bike and your clobber while you are gone. Not like a car (auto) which can be securely locked up.
Below is a picture taken on a stretch of the Saxon Shore Way between the village of Kingsdown and St Margaret’s Bay near Dover.
[Linked Image]

Grandad #734083 05/04/18 3:10 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Another lovely photo! It seems easy to take lovely photos of a lovely place such as SE England! Thanks Grandad.

While on the IOM in 08 I shopped in Peel one afternoon to buy a bit of a picnic lunch. Found a suitable footpath overlooking the ocean and had a good time of it. This path went pretty much right thru somebody's front yard...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Later, on the return leg of our trip, we camped one night in the back garden (yard) of a pub which was bordered by a public footpath. This was right on the edge of town and the number of people walking by more or less had us on display at camp! I personally found it surprising, how many people were out walking around. Of course, everyone was friendly and we were happy not to have any trouble. The pub owners were lovely- one of whom came in early the next morning to make us coffee before we hit the road!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/04/18 3:23 pm.

ricochetrider #734110 05/04/18 6:17 pm
Grandad Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hi Tom,
Thanks for posting the pics of your visit to the Isle of Man – great stuff (also your steam-train ones in your other post. American locos appear to be very much larger beasts than our biggest Brits ).
You’ve bested me here because I have never been to the IOM!!
Cheers mate

Allan (Grandad)

Grandad #734242 05/06/18 12:11 am
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Ha, Grandad, I was certainly NOT trying to one-up you, sir! smile

And yes, some of those American Steam Locomotives are massive indeed.
Take another look at my thread and see a description of one of the biggest. I'll not derail your lovely photo thread with this stuff.

Cheers!

Moderated by  bill50cal, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership