BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tim Lynch
Tim Lynch
Devon, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
34 registered members (Bob E), 217 guests, and 473 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Trondgv, Jonathan Ytterli, hunterjim00, Gary J, SpeedTwin38
10329 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 125
reverb 86
Lannis 61
Popular Topics(Views)
657,506 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,664
Posts657,308
Members10,329
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B44 spring startup, lost compression #733955
05/03/18 3:53 pm
05/03/18 3:53 pm
NYC & Upstate NY
A
AML Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
AML  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
A
NYC & Upstate NY
This morning I decided to try and start the bike for the first time since October.
I removed the bash plate and then the drain bolt in the sump plate, when I walked back a few minutes later there was about 2+cups in the pan.
Filled the gas tank, ticked the carb and kicked 3 or 4 times. It sputtered on the last kick and seemed about to catch.
I tried to find compression again but it was gone.

At TDC I still have 8 and 10 thou clearances, so presumably it's not a stuck open valve? I slackened the compression release in case that was holding the valve open.
I checked the sump after all this and got about another cup.
I rode the bike into the shed last fall and drained the gas tank and carb bowl and haven't touched the engine, until today.
What am I missing; anything ideas? Head gasket, rings?
Thanks,
Adam

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: B44 spring startup, lost compression [Re: AML] #733957
05/03/18 4:05 pm
05/03/18 4:05 pm
Scotland
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
I had that happen on the way into work on a C15, it just stopped and I found no compression, I kicked it over a few times and it got compression back suddenly and off I went, it must have been a small piece of carbon got stuck on a valve seat and it then got knocked off. Time for a leakdown test to see where the air is going instead of being compressed.

Re: B44 spring startup, lost compression [Re: AML] #733964
05/03/18 5:56 pm
05/03/18 5:56 pm
NYC & Upstate NY
A
AML Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
AML  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
A
NYC & Upstate NY
Usually, my first thought when something goes wrong is to ask myself if I just did something stupid.
So kommando, thanks for sharing your experience.
I went back to the shed and after about 6 kicks compression started coming back and I had to readjust the compression cable in order to get it over tdc.
Bike started within a a few more kicks and I stopped and started it several times while topping off the oil tank.
Curious, but it seems to have resolved itself.
Thanks again Kommando

Re: B44 spring startup, lost compression [Re: AML] #733970
05/03/18 6:42 pm
05/03/18 6:42 pm
Farnham, Surrey, UK
gunner Offline
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Farnham, Surrey, UK
Have occasionally had the same problem on my B44 but never managed to find out why the compression was lost.

My guess is that one of the valves has become partially stuck open after the bike has been standing for a while either because one of the guides is a bit tight or as Kommando suggests a bit of carbon got stuck on the valve set.

The problem only happens after standing for a few weeks and disappears after a few kicks.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: B44 spring startup, lost compression [Re: AML] #733978
05/03/18 7:39 pm
05/03/18 7:39 pm
Scotland
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
If you had a twin you would only notice the odd falter, the joy of singles wink

Re: B44 spring startup, lost compression [Re: AML] #734168
05/05/18 4:08 am
05/05/18 4:08 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Sydney Australia
pour a little oil down the plug hole then kick the engine over a few times to distribute it.
Pop the plug back in and see if it will start.
If it does, go for a short ride then come back and do a compression test.
These singles have a habbit of grabbing a ring when they cool down and rings rusting into the ring grove when not used for a long while.

I have it happen to me on more than one occasion with both the B40 & the B50 although the latter did it a lot more often.
A run down a reasonable hill would usually get it up and running when this happened..

Have also had carbon stuck on the valve seat and to an extent . if you can start it, it will usually just burn off or blow off.

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 05/06/18 1:59 am.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: B44 spring startup, lost compression [Re: AML] #734234
05/05/18 9:10 pm
05/05/18 9:10 pm
NYC & Upstate NY
A
AML Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
AML  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
A
NYC & Upstate NY
When Kommando suggested a leakdown test, which requires is a tool I do not own, I put a couple of cc's down the plug hole to see if I could tell rings or valves.
I started kicking and compression started coming up slowly, and then was full on.
So I still don't know whether it was a stuck ring or something on the intake valve (when there was no compression there seemed to be more hissing than there normally is, but maybe it's always there but I can't hear it over my huffing while kicking), but I went on a short 17 mile test run and all seems mostly ok.
I have to check timing as there's a stutter pulling away in first at 1/8 throttle; if I back off and open the throttle very slowly it goes away. My first thought was pilot jet (premier Concentric) but the jet is clean and it idles very evenly and starts easily. The timing mark on the rotor doesn't line up with the pointer so I'm questioning my finding tdc with my dial gauge.
Adam

Re: B44 spring startup, lost compression [Re: AML] #734249
05/06/18 1:58 am
05/06/18 1:58 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Sydney Australia
Adam,
It is fairly common for the pointer not to line up with the line on the rotor.
I usually use a piston stop & degree wheel to find TDC and then mark the rotor at TDC which makes future ignition work easier.
A lot of times the TDC mark is way off the raised pad in place of being just near the edge ( line is of course full advance ).

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: B44 spring startup, lost compression [Re: AML] #734270
05/06/18 7:16 am
05/06/18 7:16 am
Scotland
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
The stutter at 1/8th throttle is likely the cutaway on the slide, you can compensate by having a weak or rich pilot setting depending on whether the cutaway is lean or rich.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership