BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
porge
porge
Tasmania, Australia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (998John), 276 guests, and 448 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bob Board, Onder Zee, WardDuffield, Biscuits, DT 150
10294 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 99
Lannis 68
Mori55 67
Popular Topics(Views)
640,539 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,424
Posts654,681
Members10,294
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #728074
03/09/18 9:18 am
03/09/18 9:18 am
Tasmania - Gateway to Antarcti...
Tasman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tasman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
So good to see I'm not alone with the "Messy Shed Syndrome". Mine gets so bad that cleaning it up becomes a project in itself.

Carry on Lannis, I'm looking forward to the next installment.

"Live the life you love, find a god you trust and don't take it all too seriously"

Pre-units rule!

Mid fifties Triumph T100
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #728124
03/09/18 6:20 pm
03/09/18 6:20 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Online content
fefsa
kevin roberts  Online Content
fefsa
ohio, usa
Originally Posted by Lannis
Plus a special alignment tool is needed, I KNOW I bought one for last time I was in here, but it’s lost in this mess somewhere.

i own five grease guns. didn't know it was that many until i moved house and they all finally came to light.

i have no idea what i'm doing.
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #728133
03/09/18 7:50 pm
03/09/18 7:50 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
E
Ewing. NJ
It sure would be nice if my shop was that clean! Use to be I knew where things were in all the mess. No more.

Ed from NJ

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #728289
03/11/18 3:03 pm
03/11/18 3:03 pm
Kent Garden of England
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Garden of England
Lannis lad, something is bugging me here... confused

When I do me 2hr stints, I'm USUALLY only working on one bike at a time, even if I have to wait for parts, I wait till they're here, then go back to me 2hrs till the bike is off the bench. Doing as you're doing, I'd get meself in a Muckingfuddle, I'd forget what I was supposed to be doing on bike 1, and in the end bugger all would get done. As I would lose all my motivation, which is the idea of the 2hr rule anyway... shocked

If I needed a set of seals for bike 1, I'd keep thinking, hope they arrive today, and that's me motivation, having a hankering to get out there to finish the job, so I can work on bike 2...See what I'm saying here dude...Just don't want you to NOT have that motivation, now you've got it... wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #728729
03/16/18 1:27 am
03/16/18 1:27 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member
Lannis  Online Content OP

Life member
Central Virginia
Haven't even been home in the daylight long enough to put in 2 hours any day lately ... been one of "those" weeks. Good stuff, but stuff I'm obviously (from the results) prioritizing over spending solid time on the bikes.

With the grandchildren all day yesterday and got home late, moving furniture for a charity all day today and got in late, completely whipped... a friend passed away before Christmas and they're auctioning off his stuff tomorrow, about 2000 items, a 7 hour auction, I don't need any of it but I'm taking the truck down (about 2 hours away so there's an 11 hour day coming, should be fun though) there anyway just in his memory and to make sure that none of his bikes get sold for silly low money, especially his lovely old Guzzi Eldorado! You just never know about these things ....

I HAVE received the new ammeter, new regulator, crimping tool, pilot lamp socket, LED headlight bulb (who ever would have thought they'd make one of THOSE for 6v positive ground?), and wires and caps to make new mag leads for the A10, and have sorted through my stock of wire and connectors, have put up a "white board" in the shop per suggestion, to keep track of where I am on these various projects and what needs doing next, and have cleaned up my electrical assembly bench and found some tools I forgot I had, hidden under the mess, so that's good.

At the very least, when I come in from a long day somewhere, I'm spending SOME time in the shop if it's nothing more than "cleaning a bolt"! Next week, should be back to longer sessions and definite progress. But 2 hours x 5 days/week remains and elusive but achievable goal ...

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #728741
03/16/18 6:44 am
03/16/18 6:44 am
Christchurch NZ
R Moulding Offline
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Christchurch NZ

Any new habit will take a little time to become an actual habit, so stick with it. I do agree with Shaun though, you appear to be fritting about on this and that and not really getting anywhere. My advise (for the little it may be worth) would be to put one bike on the bench in the middle of the shop, stop worrying about doing two hours every day and consider doing two hours of actual productive work when you have enough parts to actually be productive.

Rod

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #729515
03/22/18 3:01 am
03/22/18 3:01 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Well, thanks to a timely nudge on the Shout Box from Alan_nc I didn’t bail tonight, got a solid two hours in, matter of fact, it was almost three, making real progress which is fun.

Went back to pick up working on the Guzzi Stelvio fork, which something wasn’t right …

[Linked Image]

Found out what happened, the last person into that fork (and that would be me) apparently didn’t use enough torque or enough Loctite (and I suspect I just forgot to tighten a locknut), and the damper cartridge disconnected from the fork cap and fell to the bottom of the fork. The thing takes quite a bit of fork oil, so I’ll pick up some more tomorrow, I like “Bel-Ray” 20w for this fork.

[Linked Image]

I bought a new “Northern Tool” single-rail motorcycle trailer. I have a 6’ x 8’ utility trailer which will haul 2 or 3 bikes behind the truck, BUT:

1) If I only want to haul one bike, I’d rather get 30 MPG with Fay’s car than 14 MPG behind the pickup.

2) One of these days, one of the old bikes is going to break down 600 miles from home past fixing it on the road (broken cases or crank, for example), and if Fay has to come fetch me, she’d rather drive her car than bouncing along in a tall pickup truck.

Since her car is a 4 cylinder Subaru with a CVT (constant variable transmission like a big scooter), it won’t tow more than 1000 pounds or so, so I needed a light trailer.

The Northern Tool trailer is only $700, BUT it has the typical Chinese assembly pay-attention-to-details problems, and needs some sorting before you put it on the road, from everyone’s experience. I knew that going in and am ready for it.

First thing is that the wiring harness needs to be be grommeted and loomed, so that it’s not chafing and swinging around in the breeze:

[Linked Image]

I took the wheels to the tire shop today and had them dynamically balanced to cut out vibration. Then apart with the hubs; often, new owners find that the hubs have not been greased:

[Linked Image]

However, I think that Changzu-HongYang (the makers – sounds Amish) has been reading the reviews, because these bearings were greased and properly adjusted.

So a few more things to do to it, like modify the front stop so that the bike is more balanced and I don't have 80% of the bike weight on the tongue, replace the removable pins that allow it to fold, with bolts and nylok nuts to stiffen it up, and it should be good to go.

Lots in progress and not much completed, but it’s all gotta be done …. !

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #729528
03/22/18 6:58 am
03/22/18 6:58 am
Kent Garden of England
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Kent Garden of England
it was almost three

facepalm .... No no no Lannis lad, the whole POINT of the 2hr limit, is to leave you with a hankering to get back out there, didn't I make meself clear lad... confused

I've seen me with just ONE bolt to tighten, a 30 second job, and that clock has got to the 2hr mark, I've put me fettling iron down, and walked. Then, due to my employment, not able to return to the fettling shed for 2 whole days. Can you imagine the hankering to get back out there after that...? And being an Olde bike, t'wasn't just one 30 second bolt jobbie, so a couple of other things I noticed got done in that 2hrs. And finally, that bike was finished and back on the road, all in A1 condition... bigt

Now lad, I'm giving you permission to do other stuff, seeing as how you're unemployable and all, but stick to that one bike 2hr rule. And you'll get that hankering, once you get that lad, you'll have everything in that shop ON THE ROAD. Trust me lad, I'm a doctor.. wink

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #729860
03/25/18 2:33 am
03/25/18 2:33 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Followed the Shaun rule tonight, two hours and done ... got my new motorcycle trailer rewiring mostly done, reinforcing plates and bolts installed, wheels and fenders installed. Still need to install the hitch and find a way to bolt down a good wheel chock like a Condor, all the ones I can find are too wide so I may have to fabricate something.

Working on this instead of the bikes so I can get the trailer up on its wheels and move it out of the shop, it takes up a lot of room.

Tomorrow's another day.

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #731295
04/08/18 12:36 am
04/08/18 12:36 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Well, coming up on 2 months since I started my "Two Hours A Day" campaign, and I'm realizing (as Shaun and R Moulding and other wise men have said) that Rome wasn't built in a day and new habits are NOT easy to pick up.

Being honest with myself, I'm recognizing two things about me these days:

1) I honestly start out the day, each day, intending to get 2 hours worth done in the shop. However, I don't put those two hours in in the morning because the morning is when I do my gardening, and hauling furniture (it's a ministry at our church, we haul donated furniture to a central point, and then give it to people who need it because they have nothing - just got out of jail, house burned down, renting a non-furnished place and have no money, etc), and seeing the grandchildren, and doing chores around the neighborhood (retired dude stuff).

2) By the time I finish all the things that I consider "first priority", I'm about knackered, and even though I've got a couple hours before bedtime, I'm too whipped to get out in the shop.

That's different than it used to be when I were a brisk young berkie and could go all day long and half the night.

So two actions obviously - As suggested, put in the shop time in the morning! That's a HARD habit to get into, I can tell you, but it's going to be the only way.

Second, get into better shape. I'm not getting any regular exercise, eating too much, letting my A1C and triglycerides slip, and it wears you out quicker. After I do the things I need to do in life each day, I'm out of energy, and that's not good.

IN THE MEANTIME, I have reassembled the front fork of my Guzzi Stelvio and it's back ready to go, I have taken the nice Condor front wheel chock off of my bike lift and installed it on my new bike trailer, and installed a cheaper Northern Tool front chock on my lift, and tested it all out. I've installed a trailer hitch on Fay's Subaru Outback, upgraded the ball socket on the new trailer from a Class I to Class II, loaded my big Triumph on it, and realized that I need to reinforce the structure of the trailer with a welded brace, so that project continues a bit ....

Not giving up, learning about myself, and actually making some progress so it's not all bad.

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #731305
04/08/18 3:40 am
04/08/18 3:40 am
Tasman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tasman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Lanis, just do what you can, when you can.

It certainly doesn't help not having the structure of a daily timetable.

Retirement can be a double edged sword, sometimes it would be good to have the gov'nor breathing down your neck to get stuff done.

"Live the life you love, find a god you trust and don't take it all too seriously"

Pre-units rule!

Mid fifties Triumph T100
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Tasman] #731331
04/08/18 12:49 pm
04/08/18 12:49 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Tasman

Retirement can be a double edged sword, sometimes it would be good to have the gov'nor breathing down your neck to get stuff done.

I hadn't really thought about that, but I may very well have done my best work when I was employed when there was a deadline to meet!

Perhaps I should do like one of those "American Chopper" shows, set an artificial deadline to get a bike finished, work all night to try to do it, bring in my sons so I can curse and swear at them to move faster .... it sure made them Teutle dudes wealthy!!

Nope, better to discipline my own self to do the two-hour thing. If a London-raised truck driver can do it, I'd better be able to ...

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #731341
04/08/18 3:00 pm
04/08/18 3:00 pm
melbourne florida
B
bodine031 Online content
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
melbourne florida
Trailer = lug wrench, Suby jack works with new trailer, Spare tyre, can of flat fix, tongue jack incase trailer needs to be unhooked from tow vehicle. eye hooks at the assend to keep the back of a motorbike from hopping around.

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: bodine031] #731343
04/08/18 3:09 pm
04/08/18 3:09 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by bodine031
Trailer = lug wrench, Suby jack works with new trailer, Spare tyre, can of flat fix, tongue jack incase trailer needs to be unhooked from tow vehicle. eye hooks at the assend to keep the back of a motorbike from hopping around.

Thanks, good advice! I do need to carry a spare and/or a way to fix a flat tire, including a way to get it back up to 60 pounds which is pretty important on these little tires.

The main support for the motorcycle on this trailer is [in order of importance] (1) Tie downs in the MIDDLE of the bike, straight to steel loops at the trailer axle (2) The "Condor" chock clamping the front wheel (3) Tie downs from the handlebar ends to a crossbar in front of the motorcycle. (3) is USUALLY the main support for the bike, but not on this one - it's just to steady the front end and reduce any tendency to lean at the front.

I'll have to see what to do about a tongue jack. I would only need it if I were trying to unhitch the trailer while it was loaded; unloaded, there's only about 25 pounds of tongue weight.

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #731349
04/08/18 4:20 pm
04/08/18 4:20 pm
Wisconsin, USA
F
franko Offline

BritBike Forum member
franko  Offline

BritBike Forum member
F
Wisconsin, USA
I tried to look up suby jack, but couldn't find anything. Is this what you are referring to?
https://www.iboats.com/shop/seasens...Gl4ir2gIVRrnACh25sQ3WEAQYCCABEgIWBPD_BwE
Neighbor had one similar to this when I was a young'en. Looked to work well for him.

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: franko] #731366
04/08/18 6:36 pm
04/08/18 6:36 pm
melbourne florida
B
bodine031 Online content
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
melbourne florida
suby jack = OEM jack in Fay's Subaru

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #731413
04/09/18 1:09 am
04/09/18 1:09 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Did two hours today .... did it in the afternoon before I got into anything else.

Unfortunately, I'm still fighting that motorcycle trailer that I bought. I knew I was going to have to make some upgrades before it was usable, but when Alec and I loaded the 650 pound Triumph on it, it was obvious that it was going to need some reinforcement before I'd trust it out on the road.

So I had finished the re-wiring, but now that's going to have to come out so that I can design some triangulation, cut the braces, and fixture it up so it can be welded - I never learned how to weld, more's the pity, it's a skill I've often needed and wanted to use.

So my two hours went to cutting and re-crimping, looming and shrink-wrapping connections, and laying out bits of steel to see what will work.

I shouldn't complain - when I'm done, I'll still have a trailer for half the price of the major brands .... so the money I would have spent is being substituted for by time. Not sure at this age which one's going to run out first!

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #731422
04/09/18 6:24 am
04/09/18 6:24 am
Christchurch NZ
R Moulding Offline
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Christchurch NZ

Never to late to pick up a MIG and give it a go! There is very little as satisfying as finishing a nice weld bead.

Rod

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: R Moulding] #731436
04/09/18 12:59 pm
04/09/18 12:59 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by R Moulding

Never to late to pick up a MIG and give it a go! There is very little as satisfying as finishing a nice weld bead.

Rod

And there's probably not much that's more frustrating than realizing that you've burned through the metal and ruined the structural integrity of what you were welding! I'd probably go through a little bit of that before I could trust my own work, I can tell from a lifetime of watching other people do it that there's quite a bit of art to it - understanding how the different metals melt and fuse, working with different thicknesses, how heat flow works ...

When I was a 13-year-old and my Dad had just passed away, I kept myself busy building trail bikes out of bicycle frames and conversion kits in Popular Science adverts. I'd take an old Schwinn, cut it up, fixture up the kit parts, and get it welded; add a 3 or 5 HP Briggs and some 8" wheels, and I was riding.

The first one I built, I did quite a good job (following the plans) of making a wooden fixture that clamped all the bits into place that needed to be welded, in the right orientation, and had even properly fish-mouthed the tubing where butt-welds onto other tubes were needed.

I got a ride into town with my fixtured frame, and went into Appomattox Truck and Tractor, the local IH dealer, and asked if they could weld it for me. They were happy to do it, and sent me back to a big tall friendly guy with "Bo" on his uniform shirt. He was highly impressed with my fixture; took his torch, tacked all the joints, took it out of the fixture, and finished the welds. Took him about 15 minutes and he didn't charge me anything.

So 5 years later, I'm on my first road motorcycle (200cc Yamaha twin), and went to this girl's house to pick her up for our first date. She had warned me that her Dad wasn't much on motorcycles or on long-haired boys that rode them, but I was ready; I knew that the FIRST thing to do before I even acknowledged her was knock on the door, introduce myself to her father, shake his hand, and answer ANY questions he might have - my momma didn't raise no fool.

So I knocked on the door, he answered it, I said "Good evening, Mr. Paulette", and he looked at me for a minute and grinned and said "You're that boy that brought that bike frame to the shop to be welded!". I never knew it was him until I saw him. Well, after that, I was in like Flynn; gave bike rides to both Fay and her twin sister Kay, went out with Fay, and that was 47 years ago and we're as happily married as ever.

I guess I ought not learn to weld, just in memory of how not knowing how to weld sent my whole life in the right direction!

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #732054
04/16/18 1:39 pm
04/16/18 1:39 pm
Kent Garden of England
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Kent Garden of England
letting my A1C and triglycerides slip

What in Dickens is that... help

Ain't got time in the mornings he says... Well let's see the scenario, he gets up at say 07.00 gets a coffee to get over being asleep all night, which takes it to say 07.45, then it's breakfast time. Once that's done it's 08.30, then it's ablutions, now it's 09.00 and he's ready to start the day. And other things get in the way of fettling... frown

My solution to this... wink

Get up at 05.00 don't bother with coffee, get straight out to the fettling shed, do your 2hrs...THEN and only then, start the routine as above... bigt

Make it a *Job* it's your part time job, before you do your day's routine, and the reward is, your bikes will be ready and waiting for YOU... wink

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #732145
04/17/18 6:40 am
04/17/18 6:40 am
Christchurch NZ
R Moulding Offline
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Christchurch NZ

No Coffee! Mind your mouth Shaun this is a family site!

Rod

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Kent Shaun] #732249
04/18/18 12:08 am
04/18/18 12:08 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
letting my A1C and triglycerides slip

What in Dickens is that... help

Ain't got time in the mornings he says... Well let's see the scenario, he gets up at say 07.00 gets a coffee to get over being asleep all night, which takes it to say 07.45, then it's breakfast time. Once that's done it's 08.30, then it's ablutions, now it's 09.00 and he's ready to start the day. And other things get in the way of fettling... frown

My solution to this... wink

Get up at 05.00 don't bother with coffee, get straight out to the fettling shed, do your 2hrs...THEN and only then, start the routine as above... bigt

Make it a *Job* it's your part time job, before you do your day's routine, and the reward is, your bikes will be ready and waiting for YOU... wink

No doot aboot it ... except for the crazy talk about coffee ....

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #732258
04/18/18 2:07 am
04/18/18 2:07 am
U.S.
Magnetoman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
U.S.
On my latest trip I met a disconsolate woman. When I asked her what the problem was, she replied, I just got divorced from my fourth husband.

My first husband died on the way to our honeymoon so we never consummated our marriage.

I didn't find out until our wedding night that my second husband was homosexual, so we never consummated that marriage, either.

My third husband turned out to be impotent.

However, my fourth husband was a charming yet macho motorcyclist. Unfortunately, he never got past the foot of my bed because he spent every night describing the great things he intended to do, until I fell asleep listening to him talk.

The great Eli Wallach succinctly described in eight words the only way to make progress on motorcycle rebuilds.

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #732289
04/18/18 11:45 am
04/18/18 11:45 am
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Offline

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Offline

BritBike Forum member
New Jersey USA
Nice one, MMan!

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #732299
04/18/18 2:10 pm
04/18/18 2:10 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Yep, all that's some good advice.

Like Tuco, I have some good advice too, and I already gave it in the very first post in this thread.

This being a public forum, people may have all sorts of comments. Or not. Encouragement, maybe. Or “Why are you wasting board bandwidth with your self-indulgent moaning?”, that will be fine too. “Your shop’s a damn mess, get it straight so you can get some proper work done.” is expected. Or ignore it, or just look at it and laugh and move on.

Any of those will work!

Lannis

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership