BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Grin
Grin
Fife,Scotland, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
14 registered members (BrettF), 163 guests, and 379 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Duckster, IDG1, pemdoc65, creativecroc, gregneal
10171 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 96
Stuart 84
reverb 81
NickL 70
koan58 56
Popular Topics(Views)
550,014 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics66,550
Posts645,161
Members10,171
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: CNW electric start [Re: Lannis] #732038
04/16/18 6:46 am
04/16/18 6:46 am
Shropshire. United Kingdom.
C
Charles DB Online content
BritBike Forum member
Charles DB  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
C
Originally Posted by Lannis

It sounds like the tool can act as a power supply, putting a fused 12 volts across a connection to test it, without having to rig up jumpers, a fuse, and a battery.

Can't say I've ever needed one, but you never know.

Lannis

That is my understanding as well. £55 for the KM10 and £40 for a TopDon 101 battery and charging tester - bargain! Which I'd had these last year when trying to to find the cause of low charging to the battery the week before a trip to Ireland. Ran out of time and chanced my luck. Bike managed to produce enough to maintain the battery as long as I ran without headlights. Fault was still there prior to a complete strip down but now it shouldn't take long to find the cause on reassembly armed with the correct tools.

Last edited by Charles DB; 04/16/18 6:47 am.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: CNW electric start [Re: Lannis] #732039
04/16/18 7:02 am
04/16/18 7:02 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi Lannis, Charles,

It sounds like the tool can act as a power supply, putting a fused 12 volts across a connection to test it, without having to rig up jumpers, a fuse, and a battery.

Originally Posted by Charles DB
That is my understanding as well.

Mmmm ... not really, they all have to be connected to a battery.

An Ohm- or multi-meter set to Ohms makes a circuit with whatever's between the ends of the meter leads, just the Amps aren't that great because the meter's internal battery is necessarily small. The problem there can be that a nearly-broken wire will show as (near-) zero Ohms but when the wire is asked to carry several Amps, it fails. frown To check for the nearly-broken wire, you have to connect the component into a circuit with a battery and Ammeter.

Because they're connected to an external battery, the gadgets will do the same. However, I started to read the instructions for the Sealey, they might be clearer with the gadget in your hand but, frankly, the possibility of letting the smoke out of an expensive gadget by moving a switch the wrong way for a given "polarity" seemed rather too real. I'm with Dave on this one, 'fraid imho these are an expensive solution in search of a problem.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: CNW electric start [Re: Don Leaming] #732061
04/16/18 2:22 pm
04/16/18 2:22 pm
C
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the advice. I was aware the devices require an external battery for voltage. The appeal to me is the ease of use in powering up components, sections of circuits, earths. The KM10 and Sealey both have circuit breakers. They do look similar but price of the KM10 is approx. half that of the Sealey. I would not be surprised if they are manufactured in the same factory. I'm going to splash out £54 on a KM10 and I'll post how I get on with it. If it means I can find solutions to electrical problems quicker than usual it will be money well spent.

Re: CNW electric start [Re: Lannis] #732185
04/17/18 3:29 pm
04/17/18 3:29 pm
belgium
ludwig Offline
BritBike Forum member
ludwig  Offline
BritBike Forum member
belgium

Many many years on bike lists have convinced me of two things:
1) Nobody EVER wants to believe that their problem is the battery, whether it's starting, ignition, or whatever. The battery's just a block of plastic, nothing can go wrong with that, besides, I just spent $60 last year on it, so it CAN'T be the problem.
2) Ninety percent of bike electrical problems that are not the battery, are a bad ground. Nine times out of ten. But no one ever checks the grounds first, it's only after a lot of on-line trouble shooting.
3) People will spend a fortune on tools and widgets and gadgets to help them enjoy fettling and riding. One thing that hardly ANYONE ever buys is a Battery Load Tester. They will stick the pair of VOM probes across the battery and say "I got 12 volts, it's good", not knowing that a 12V battery showing 12.0 volts is deader than a hammer. OR they say "I got 12.7 volts, it's good" never testing whether the battery will actually supply any CURRENT at 12.7 volts.
It just amazes me how few people actually invest $90 in a tool that will instantly tell them if the problem is the battery or is it not the battery, so they can either buy a new one (even if they just bought one last year) or move on to something else .... ?
I suspect that I will continue to be "amazed" by all that for the next 20 years, or whenever I decide "I guess I've said this enough ... "!

Yes .. classic bike owners are notoriously stupid .
Nice to see wise men devoting all their time on forums to enlighten us ..

Last edited by ludwig; 04/17/18 7:59 pm.
Re: CNW electric start [Re: ludwig] #732267
04/18/18 5:53 am
04/18/18 5:53 am
C
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
Originally Posted by ludwig

Many many years on bike lists have convinced me of two things:
1) Nobody EVER wants to believe that their problem is the battery, whether it's starting, ignition, or whatever. The battery's just a block of plastic, nothing can go wrong with that, besides, I just spent $60 last year on it, so it CAN'T be the problem.
2) Ninety percent of bike electrical problems that are not the battery, are a bad ground. Nine times out of ten. But no one ever checks the grounds first, it's only after a lot of on-line trouble shooting.
3) People will spend a fortune on tools and widgets and gadgets to help them enjoy fettling and riding. One thing that hardly ANYONE ever buys is a Battery Load Tester. They will stick the pair of VOM probes across the battery and say "I got 12 volts, it's good", not knowing that a 12V battery showing 12.0 volts is deader than a hammer. OR they say "I got 12.7 volts, it's good" never testing whether the battery will actually supply any CURRENT at 12.7 volts.
It just amazes me how few people actually invest $90 in a tool that will instantly tell them if the problem is the battery or is it not the battery, so they can either buy a new one (even if they just bought one last year) or move on to something else .... ?
I suspect that I will continue to be "amazed" by all that for the next 20 years, or whenever I decide "I guess I've said this enough ... "!

Yes .. classic bike owners are notoriously stupid .
Nice to see wise men devoting all their time on forums to enlighten us ..

Surely a case of, 'the pot calling the kettle black' if ever there was one!

Re: CNW electric start [Re: Charles DB] #732290
04/18/18 11:52 am
04/18/18 11:52 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member
Central Virginia
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the advice. I was aware the devices require an external battery for voltage. The appeal to me is the ease of use in powering up components, sections of circuits, earths. The KM10 and Sealey both have circuit breakers. They do look similar but price of the KM10 is approx. half that of the Sealey. I would not be surprised if they are manufactured in the same factory. I'm going to splash out £54 on a KM10 and I'll post how I get on with it. If it means I can find solutions to electrical problems quicker than usual it will be money well spent.

And we'll need a "User Report" when you get it ... could be the start of a new trend. OR the start of "glad he spent the money and I didn't have to .... !! laughing

Lannis

You can ignore reality but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.
Re: CNW electric start [Re: Charles DB] #732315
04/18/18 5:27 pm
04/18/18 5:27 pm
belgium
ludwig Offline
BritBike Forum member
ludwig  Offline
BritBike Forum member
belgium
Surely a case of, 'the pot calling the kettle black' if ever there was one!

But Charles , it was a compliment !
" Honni soit qui mal y pense " , like they say in England .
Only wish I had the time to spend 4 hours a day on forums , dishing out advice ..
Anyway , bike is packed , off to Spain for the next month .

Hasta luego .

Re: CNW electric start [Re: ludwig] #732371
04/19/18 1:26 am
04/19/18 1:26 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline

fefsa
ohio, usa
Originally Posted by ludwig

" Honni soit qui mal y pense " , like they say in England

in america, we say, honest sweat makes smelly pants.

live every day.
die once.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership