BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Grin
Grin
Fife,Scotland, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
13 registered members (Bry), 171 guests, and 315 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Duckster, IDG1, pemdoc65, creativecroc, gregneal
10171 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 96
Stuart 84
reverb 81
NickL 70
koan58 56
Popular Topics(Views)
550,014 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics66,550
Posts645,161
Members10,171
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Clutch slip #731384
04/08/18 8:56 pm
04/08/18 8:56 pm
Omaha, NE, USA
Paul Sammut Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Paul Sammut  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Omaha, NE, USA
As I was taking my '51 Rapide for a test ride after installing twin-leading shoe brakes (and in a rare window of fine weather between snowfalls), I noticed significant clutch slip (standard clutch). The brakes work well (thank you, Vincent Speet!) but the slipping rapidly became worse, so I quickly returned home. I removed the clutch cover, expecting to see that oil had managed to seep past the shaft into the chamber. Well that hadn't happened, but I noticed the clutch shoes had lost chunks of material and noted that the circlip (865) formerly retaining one of the shoes wasn't there. As I scraped out the housing of material, the twisted, mangled circlip was found in the debris. I believe I had used new circlips and had carefully ensured they were seated when I worked on the clutch at the beginning of the last season. Now, of course, I am second guessing myself and imagine I didn't do a good enough job. However, i am going to worry about it in the future as I install new assemblies and circlips.
Has anyone else had this happen? Are there different qualities of circlips available? John Healy, I will contact you tomorrow to order new parts!
Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Paul

'74 Commando
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four
Support your #1 Vincent Forum

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
Vincent Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, Vincent motorcycles on e-Bay North America

Re: Clutch slip [Re: Paul Sammut] #731700
04/12/18 12:05 pm
04/12/18 12:05 pm
Birmingham, UK
T
Twin Pot Phil Offline
BritBike Forum member
Twin Pot Phil  Offline
BritBike Forum member
T
Birmingham, UK
Hello Paul,
I am assuming that the clutch shoes have not been 'faced up' at all - by removing some of the shoe metal to regain a flat surface, as that allows the shoes too much room to walk up and down the spindle (thrust washes to take up the difference are your friend when here). If there are washers involved make sure they are not biasing the way the shoes sit on the spindles relative to each other, as that make the drum want to also bias on its axis (but only by a minute amount).
Are the shoe spindles new(ish) or original, some repop units (many years ago) did not have the groove for the circlip cut correctly as a square form - there was a noticeable radius at each of the points where the side of the groove met the floor of the groove, causing the circlip to 'ride up' out of the groove when in use.
The circlips should be 'springy' such that as you open one up and then let the tension off it should return to where it came from (some have been known to be soft as a result of poor heat treatment).
I always worked on the basis of the more of a s*d the circlip was to get on the spindle, the more likely it was to stop there!

Does that help any?
Cheers
Phil

Re: Clutch slip [Re: Paul Sammut] #732029
04/16/18 3:31 am
04/16/18 3:31 am
Omaha, NE, USA
Paul Sammut Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Paul Sammut  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Omaha, NE, USA
Thanks, Phil. I don't know the answers to your questions, I'm afraid, as I bought the bike only about 18 months ago. I will certainly inspect the spindles and grooves carefully. The shoes appear standard to my unpracticed eye. I'm hoping the new circlips, which are on their way from VOC will be of good quality. I will also check to be sure there is no "sidedness" (is that a word?) to them.
Regards,
Paul.

Paul

'74 Commando
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership