BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
PieMan
PieMan
Dorset, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
41 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 219 guests, and 68 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
to.bias, Nomdegom, Andy Mac, kwbikr, RandomTask
10380 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Mori55 94
NickL 85
Stuart 83
DavidP 79
reverb 73
Triless 68
Popular Topics(Views)
687,999 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,995
Posts661,438
Members10,380
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
'71 '72 switch position? #730216
03/29/18 3:24 am
03/29/18 3:24 am
Gnashville
DavidP Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Gnashville
Howdy folks
I'm building a '72 T120 cafe. As you might suspect, the original airbox and covers are missing. I'll be using either the retro covers or whatever I can find to fill that space.
But, I was wondering where to put the key switch. Any of you done this? Where did you mount the key switch?
Thanks

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V yet to be named
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: DavidP] #731848
04/14/18 1:52 am
04/14/18 1:52 am
ca, us
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
ca, us
On my triple racer I put it in the dash panel that supports the fairing along withe the tachometer, oil light and bicycle speedometer. Late T140's have the switch mounted in the left headlight ear. You could use those if you are not using a fairing.

Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: DavidP] #731864
04/14/18 10:53 am
04/14/18 10:53 am
UK Berks
A
AngloBike Offline
BritBike Forum member
AngloBike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
A
UK Berks
Could you emulate the bracket here (or buy one)
http://www.triplesrule.com/3_gauge_brackets.php

But replace the centre dial with a switch?

I assume that you have two gauges but the tr65 only had a speedo and used the second guage area as a dash
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_TR65_Thunderbird

Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: DavidP] #731874
04/14/18 3:26 pm
04/14/18 3:26 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi David,

Originally Posted by AngloBike
http://www.triplesrule.com/3_gauge_brackets.php

But replace the centre dial with a switch?

Pat Brown (Triples Rule) produces those brackets with a CNC program so would almost certainly produce a bracket altered to take a switch in place of the o.p. gauge. The brackets are beautifully made; one'd hang quite nicely as a piece of modern sculpture. smile

So positioned, the switch'd require the 97-7123 "Cap" that keeps water out when the key's in it, the 60-7335 "Cover" for the switch when the key's out, the 97-7120 switch bezel mounting that secures the 60-7335 and the 06-5723 "Cover" Norton put on the bottom of the switch on the electric-start Commando to waterproof the wiring terminals. And I drill a small hole in the lowest point of the bottom of the switch so any water that does get in can drain straight out again.

Originally Posted by AngloBike
tr65 only had a speedo and used the second guage area as a dash

The Triples Rule bracket takes speedo. 'n' tacho. mounted in '71-'78 rubber cups and mounts over the corresponding top yoke. Otoh, the TR65 used the T160/'79-on twins' speedo. 'n' tacho. mounting, including the top yoke.

Originally Posted by DMadigan
Late T140's have the switch mounted in the left headlight ear.

T140's (all 750 twins) only mount the 2-position ignition switch in the left headlight ear, so only 'til the end of '78; '79-on, they use the 4-position switch in the T160 console between the clocks. There isn't room for the 4-position switch in the headlight ear.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: DavidP] #731875
04/14/18 3:46 pm
04/14/18 3:46 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa
ohio, usa
Originally Posted by DavidP
Howdy folks
I'm building a '72 T120 cafe. As you might suspect, the original airbox and covers are missing. I'll be using either the retro covers or whatever I can find to fill that space.
But, I was wondering where to put the key switch. Any of you done this? Where did you mount the key switch?
Thanks

on my 72, i originally put my key switch up on the triple clamp, using tbe hole for right hand wire headlight stay. but now i just have a toggle under the seat.

i also use 1976 honda cb360 side covers. tbey're a perfect fit, and cheap at swap meets.

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: DavidP] #731930
04/15/18 4:49 am
04/15/18 4:49 am
South cone
R
reverb Offline
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
South cone
...hello Stuart, mine have the two position switch and the other day finally arrived the cap but is too lose on the nut; so seems that the cap is only for the 4 position switch and nut.
May be this one have the previous switch due to the factory used what they had in hands┬┐? like the Smiths that it have (black faced without the Norton villiers logo) etc

For what are these other 2 positions?

Thanks

Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: reverb] #731938
04/15/18 8:20 am
04/15/18 8:20 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi Fernando,

Originally Posted by reverb
mine have the two position switch and the other day finally arrived the cap but is too lose on the nut; so seems that the cap is only for the 4 position switch and nut.

I would be surprised. Both the 2-position and the 4-position switches take the same lock, so the area around the lock is the same diameter on both switches. I notice that the 97-7120 "Ignition switch nut" (switch bezel mounting) that the 60-7335 Cover fits on is peculiar to that Cover, it has a different part number from the 97-4589 "Ignition switch nut" used with the 60-4335 Cover on T160's and '79/'80 twins.

May be this one have the previous switch due to the factory used what they had in hands┬┐?

"previous switch"? Either something lost in translation or one of us is confused. Lucas supplied only two basic ignition switches - 2-position (off/on) and 4-position (parking lights/off/on/on+lights). The remainder of the electrics with each switch are completely different, so the switches are not interchangeable.

For what are these other 2 positions?

The 4-position switch has the Lighting wiring (Brown/Green and Blue wires) attached. The 4 positions are:-

. 'All Off' - key fob aligned straight forwards and backwards, key can be removed from the lock.

. 'On' - key one click clockwise from 'All Off' - terminal #2 (White wire) is energised, key cannot be removed from the lock.

. 'On+Lights' - key one click clockwise from 'On' - terminals #2 (White wire), #3 (Brown/Green wire) and #4 (Blue wire) are energised, key cannot be removed from the lock.

. 'Parking lights' - key turned fully anti-clockwise - terminal #3 (Brown/Green wire) is energised but key can be removed from lock. Some countries (GB included) have a legal requirement that anything left on a public road during darkness must be lit back and front. This ignition position allows just the pilot and tail lamps to be illuminated, to satisfy the legal requirement.

like the Smiths that it have (black faced without the Norton villiers logo) etc

As I understand it, when the workers' co-operative was created at Meriden, a marketing agreement was made with NVT for access to distribution and dealers. So, amongst other things, speedometers and tachometers continued to have the Blue-and-White NVT logo. This marketing agreement was terminated during 1978, Smiths could cease printing the NVT logo on speedometers and tachometers but, around the same time, Smiths decided to cease speedometer and tachometer production completely, which is why 'no logo' late Smiths speedometers and tachometers are quite rare?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: DavidP] #731996
04/15/18 9:37 pm
04/15/18 9:37 pm
Isle of Wight, UK
K
koan58 Offline
BritBike Forum member
koan58  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K
Isle of Wight, UK
As it's a special you're making, t need not follow any conventions.
When I first built my Triton, I used bits left over from other bikes I had owned for the electrical bits. So it was a Suzuki GT500 ignition switch that I employed.
The difference between that and original switches is that it has worked flawlessly from 1981 to now. For ~25 years it carried all current required, I have given it a "holiday" since, as well as the handlebar switches, using relays.
I always found the ammeter in the headlamp shell to be a waste of space, so with a couple of washers etc, the switch was located there. Of course, whether this is ok for you depends on your headlamp shell, reflector, and switch.
I've never followed the fad that needs tacho, so I have a central speedo, with voltmeter to left and oil pressure to right. All you need to know, IMHO!

Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: DavidP] #732022
04/16/18 1:53 am
04/16/18 1:53 am
South cone
R
reverb Offline
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
South cone
...hi Stuart, excellent explanation, resulting that this one is in fact a 4 way switch. I am accustomed to a non ignition switch bikes!
L.A.B noticed that the nut that I have is not exactly like the nut indicated in the parts book so may be this one is not wide enough (or the reproduction cap is too big)
The other day I saw photos of 81 model that have this cap and other cover; one that is in "2 parts"; opens like an old cell phone. I ll see if are one of the numbers you posted. Also you have the 97-7123

-Yes, have a logo but only says "SMITHS".

Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: kevin roberts] #732254
04/18/18 1:32 am
04/18/18 1:32 am
Gnashville
DavidP Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Gnashville
Thanks folks.
I got a 3-position "Harley" switch and a matching mount. For now it will mount to one of the threaded holes where the stock airbox mounts.
I got a 3-position switch because the headlight shell has no holes and I do wish to be able to run with only the pilot light on.

Originally Posted by kevin roberts

i also use 1976 honda cb360 side covers. tbey're a perfect fit, and cheap at swap meets.

That answers my other question. I do wish to have side covers, but those 'retro' covers don't look to be very robust.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V yet to be named
Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: DavidP] #732370
04/19/18 1:17 am
04/19/18 1:17 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa
ohio, usa
the retro covers apparently bolt to the ears that used to support the old airbox.

i lost the ears on my 72 years ago when i tried to bolt my coils to them.

the honda covers fit the hole, but won't if the OIF airbox ears are still there.

[Linked Image]

they even have a cutout for the right-side 1972 seat hinge.

i don't use them anymore because i have pretty large K&N filters that won't let me fit any side covers at all.

[Linked Image]

if you're ever interested in the honda pieces, let me know. i bought a set at the OVBSAOC last year for ten bucks each, and i won't ever use them.

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: kevin roberts] #732442
04/19/18 7:13 pm
04/19/18 7:13 pm
Gnashville
DavidP Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Gnashville
So much for that idea. My frame still has the ears for the airbox.
Got the "universal" switch bracket in the mail today. The big hole is 7/8" diameter! Who the hell makes a switch this size?
I guess I can use a rubber grommet to take up the space.
The only thing universal about "universal" parts is that they fit NOTHING.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V yet to be named
Re: '71 '72 switch position? [Re: DavidP] #747132
08/29/18 1:51 pm
08/29/18 1:51 pm
Canberra, Australia
Bikeosaurus Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bikeosaurus  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Canberra, Australia
The retro covers are surprisingly robust. I mounted my switch in the retro side cover after drilling the hole. Easily strong enough for this if that's the way you want to go.

72 Tiger 650
72 Commando 750
74 Trident
84 BMW K100RS
A fleet of old cars

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership