BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
John Cahill
John Cahill
Sedona, Arizona
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (Airman49), 200 guests, and 49 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
urbanghost, Richard313, Gordo, to.bias, Nomdegom
10383 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 96
Mori55 88
Stuart 77
reverb 76
DavidP 74
Triless 71
Rohan 70
btour 66
Popular Topics(Views)
689,663 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,029
Posts661,848
Members10,383
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
69 Lightning Headlight #730424
03/31/18 1:52 am
03/31/18 1:52 am
Oceanside California
M
mrcarb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
mrcarb  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
M

Oceanside California
The headlight switch on my 69 Lightning has three positions. One is off and the other two are on, and both on positions have a high and low beam. The two on positions must be different. What are the two on Positions?

Also would someone know the number for the smaller bulb? I would like to buy one locally if possible.

Thank you for the help

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: 69 Lightning Headlight [Re: mrcarb] #730431
03/31/18 4:53 am
03/31/18 4:53 am
SLO County, CA
D.Bachtel Offline
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Offline
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
First click is pilot lamp, second click is main lamp.
High low selection dipper is on the bars with the horn.

Re: 69 Lightning Headlight [Re: mrcarb] #730453
03/31/18 11:13 am
03/31/18 11:13 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted by mrcarb
The headlight switch on my 69 Lightning has three positions. One is off and the other two are on, and both on positions have a high and low beam. The two on positions must be different.

It's possible the switch in the bike has been replaced by an incorrect one, and/or the switch in there has been connected incorrectly. Lucas produced several similar-looking toggle switches - known collectively as "57SA" - but having different external contacts and internal connections, denoted by a 5-figure number either moulded on the casing or stamped into the plated metal part inside the headlamp shell. Or the bike might have an incorrect pattern switch. frown Or the correct original switch has simply gone t1ts-up after nearly half a century ...

So, fraid you'll have to extract it from the shell to know what the five figures are smile - you're looking for "31788" or "35710".

Also, extracting the switch from the shell will allow you to identify the terminals by their numbers 1-8, moulded very small on the plastic casing. Then, assuming standard wire colours and you remember to turn the lights on to comply with any 'lights-on-in-daylight' requirement, when reconnecting:-

. the supply wire (Brown/White as standard) from the ignition switch must be connected to terminal #4;

. the Red/Black wire to the pilot bulb must be connected to terminal #6;

. the Brown/Green wire to tail lamp (and speedo. 'n' tacho. lamps?) must be connected to terminal #7;

. the Blue wire to the handlebar headlamp high/low dipswitch must be connected to terminal #8;

. then specifically a 31788 or 35710 switch will:-

.. turn on the pilot bulb and turn off the headlamp bulb when in the "Pilot" position (lever in the middle);

.. turn on the headlamp bulb and turn off off the pilot bulb when in the "Headlamp" position (lever to the right/timing-side); ...

... handy if you want a powerful daytime riding lamp that needs turning off when the headlamp's on, because the bike still has the standard alternator. bigt

the number for the smaller bulb?

Assuming, by "smaller bulb", you mean the small one in the headlamp reflector(?) - the 'pilot bulb' - first extract the old one from its bulb holder; reason is a p.o. might've replaced the original. However, if you extracted the bulb from the folder by a little push down then a twist anti-clockwise, and it has a single contact on the end, that's likely an original, known generally as "BA9s" - you can enter "ba9s bulb" into your preferred internet search engine and compare the returned images with what you have.

For reference, the "BA" is the abbreviation for "Bayonet" - the push-'n'-twist fitting in the holder, "9" is the nominal diameter of the metal part in millimetres and "s" is the abbreviation for the "single" insulated electrical contact. smile You'll see several different-shaped bulbs for BA9s, only don't buy one with a globe larger the metal bit. smile

Otoh, if you don't find a BA9s, a common replacement is a "wedge"; again, enter "wedge bulb" into your preferred internet search engine and compare the returned images with what you have.

Finally here, answering a question you didn't ask, it's possible to buy and use brighter bulbs than the standard BA9s, for a better daytime-riding lamp. Post again if you want more details. smile

Hth.

Regards,

Re: 69 Lightning Headlight [Re: mrcarb] #730493
03/31/18 10:22 pm
03/31/18 10:22 pm
Oceanside California
M
mrcarb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
mrcarb  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
M

Oceanside California
I checked for a part number on the headlight switch and there was none to be found. The switch which was replaced a while back was probably an aftermarket switch. I checked the wiring according to Stuart's wiring instructions shown above and found that the blue wire was going to the wrong terminal so I corrected that and now the headlight switch works as it should with the exception of the middle position because of the bad bulb.

Thank you for the wiring instructions Stuart!!!

As for the bad bulb the number on it is ?89 12V 6W and it has two pole terminals on the bottom. (I put a question mark at the beginning of the number since I cannot clearly read the number). Doing an internet search shows all BA9S bulbs to have two poles at the bottom. I see that LED bulbs with this number are available, so I will need to decide which bulb to buy. I may post to see if anyone here has used these LED bulbs.

Thanks for the help

Re: 69 Lightning Headlight [Re: mrcarb] #730576
04/01/18 8:20 pm
04/01/18 8:20 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi,

the bad bulb the number on it is ?89 12V 6W and it has two pole terminals on the bottom.
Doing an internet search shows all BA9S bulbs to have two poles at the bottom.

smile Like, say, this one:-

[Linked Image]

... or all of these? smile

Regrettably, either you entered a "d" instead of an "s" (on keyboards here, "S" and "D" buttons are next to one another) or the US has a collection of idiots posting bulb information on the www. "two pole terminals on the bottom" would be a BA9d (for "double"); a similar example is the twin-filament tail and brake bulb - "BA15d" - BAyonet fitting, 15 mm. o.d. metal part, double "pole terminals on the bottom". smile

Having removed "the bad [pilot] bulb" from its holder, look in the bottom of of the holder; how many contacts do you see? If there's only a single central one, how's a bulb with "two pole terminals on the bottom" - each necessarily-offset from the centre of the bulb - going to make contact? smile

the bad bulb the number on it is ?89 12V 6W and it has two pole terminals on the bottom. (I put a question mark at the beginning of the number since I cannot clearly read the number).

"989". It's in the BSA parts book for your bike. If you enter "989 bulb" into your preferred internet search engine, does it still return images showing bulbs with "two pole terminals on the bottom" (wrong) or images showing bulbs with just one pole terminal on the bottom (correct)? smile

I see that LED bulbs with this number are available, so I will need to decide which bulb to buy.
Originally Posted by Stuart
answering a question you didn't ask, it's possible to buy and use brighter bulbs than the standard BA9s, for a better daytime-riding lamp.

Of which LED is one type. bigt

However, 'fraid it isn't as simple as just fitting some random LED 'bulb' from some random supplier. frown

Risking telling you something you know already, the "D" in "LED" stands for "Diode" and, like any diode (e.g. the ones in the bike's original rectifier), it only allows current to pass - and 'work' - in one direction. The vast majority of cheap LED 'bulbs' are designed to work with 'negative ground' vehicles - the multi-coloured insulated wires are connected (through the switches) to battery +ve; otoh, your bike is 'positive ground' - the multi-coloured insulated wires are connected (through the switches) to battery -ve.

Nevertheless, not a huge problem; just make sure any correct BA9s (or 989) LED 'bulb' you buy both has a single pole terminal on the bottom and is either 'ground independent' (works with either) or is specifically for 'positive ground'. bigt

Hth.

Regards,

Re: 69 Lightning Headlight [Re: mrcarb] #731259
04/07/18 7:11 pm
04/07/18 7:11 pm
Oceanside California
M
mrcarb Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
mrcarb  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
M

Oceanside California
I received the bulb yesterday and installed it. The bulb is made by Lucas and has two poles. The socket for the bulb has two pathways for the two poles to slide into so I think I got the right bulb. It looks to me like it is working fine when the switch is moved one click over.

I took the bike out for a ride last night and I think that the headlight needs to be tilted up a bit for better lighting. Switching to high beam makes the road a bit brighter.

Thanks for the help!

Re: 69 Lightning Headlight [Re: mrcarb] #731367
04/08/18 6:47 pm
04/08/18 6:47 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi,

The bulb
has two poles.

Errr ... no, 'fraid you are confused ...

The socket for the bulb has two pathways for the two poles to slide into

"poles" are electrical. The J-shaped "two pathways" are for the two locating pins to "slide into"; the two locating pins are present on the sides (not on the "bottom") of all "BAyonet"-designated bulbs; if you had done as I suggested earlier and looked at your bike's tail lamp bulb, you would've seen exactly the same two pins on the sides of the bulb and J-shaped "pathways" in the sides of the bulb holder.

The pins do not have any insulation between them, therefore they cannot be separate electrical "poles". Otoh, the pilot bulb has a single electrical pole on the bottom, whereas the tail bulb has two electrical poles on the bottom, separated by insulation.

To try and clarify the difference between electrical "poles" and "locating pins":-

[Linked Image]

... note that, like your bike's tail-lamp bulb, the central holder in the picture has two electrical "poles" on the end, separated by insulation - but the locating pins are offset relative to one another? The bulb holder for this would also have J-shaped "pathways" in the bulb holder but they would be at correspondingly-different distances from the bottom of the bulb holder; then the bulb can only be installed one way, so you can't get a bright 21W tail filament and a dim 5W brake filament ... facepalm

I think I got the right bulb.

As I have previously suggested, if you search online using the "989" part number, images and links returned are of a bulb with a single electrical "pole" on the bottom of the bulb and two "locating pins" opposite one another on the sides of the bulb.

Moreover, the pilot bulb holder has a single electrical terminal in the bottom of it, that's attached to the (as standard) Red/Black wire, that bulb holder terminal obviously making contact with the bulb's single electrical "pole" on the bottom of the bulb.

It looks to me like it is working fine when the switch is moved one click over.

Given your confusion, the definitive test would be to detach the headlamp from the shell and pull the pilot bulb out of the reflector temporarily, turn on the ignition switch and test that the lighting toggle switch turns on the pilot only in the central position and the headlamp only in the right-most position?

I think that the headlight needs to be tilted up a bit for better lighting.

If you look in a BSA workshop manual or owner's manual, it should describe the procedure for setting the main beam, usually simply the headlamp a certain horizontal distance from a vertical surface (wall, garage door, etc.) and measuring the height of the centre of the headlamp above ground and the height of the centre of the main beam above ground on the wall, garage door, etc.; the second height is normally slightly lower than the first; in GB, it equates to a 'drop' of 2o.

Switching to high beam makes the road a bit brighter.

Both headlamp beams should be significantly brighter than the pilot bulb but, if the bike still has the shonky original BPF bulb/lens/reflector, I'm not surprised you can't see much difference from a modern LED pilot bulb ...

Hth.

Regards,

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership