BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
BSABARMY
BSABARMY
Norfolk,England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
28 registered members (andy338), 222 guests, and 45 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nazer, locobeta, Walt, DennisMartin, Dwight V
10388 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 98
Triless 88
reverb 82
Rohan 80
Mori55 79
Stuart 76
DavidP 72
btour 66
Popular Topics(Views)
690,473 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,045
Posts662,096
Members10,388
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
You saw a vintage British Bike where? #728572
03/14/18 3:37 pm
03/14/18 3:37 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
Lets face it, it is always a thrill to spot a vintage Brit Bike (running or not) when you least expect it.

For me, I was walking about in Iceland, not much around in terms of transport, and along comes a 1970 T120....

I'm sure there are some great stories, right?

"Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728578
03/14/18 4:18 pm
03/14/18 4:18 pm
Jordan, NY
Al Eckstadt Offline

BritBike Forum member
Al Eckstadt  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Jordan, NY
I can't seem to recall an unusual place. But I saw a Brit bike in London in 1975 or 6. Well, let me explain. On a 5 day visit to London I saw only ONE Brit bike! It was unit BSA 650 with a sidecar, pulling a trailer.

Al Eckstadt
Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728583
03/14/18 4:30 pm
03/14/18 4:30 pm
Merry Point VA
W
wildbill Online content

BritBike Forum member
wildbill  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
W

Merry Point VA
Brit bikes are pretty uncommon, maybe rare would be more accurate, on the Northern Neck here in VA. The only ones I have seen are in my garage or basement. I went on a ride with an old bike club last summer with a group south of here, near VA Beach and there were only two Brit bikes, my 1965 TR6SR and a mid 1960's BSA. The rest were mid 60's Jap bikes. Some really nice Honda 305's were there. Bought back memories of the 1960's.

Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728591
03/14/18 5:59 pm
03/14/18 5:59 pm
Netherlands
Peter R Offline

BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Netherlands
Some years ago I saw a Brough Superior SS80 in Colombo, Sri-Lanka, the bike looked unrestored, but well maintained, it belonged to an older chap, who showed me his other bike, a BSA sloper also in nice condition.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728593
03/14/18 6:14 pm
03/14/18 6:14 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa

ohio, usa
i once saw what i recall as a brough sidecar rig in a car museum in muskogee oklahoma.

since tben i have wondsred whether it was actually a vincent . . .

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728599
03/14/18 7:09 pm
03/14/18 7:09 pm
Stone Creek OH USA
R
Rich B Offline

BritBike Forum member
Rich B  Offline

BritBike Forum member
R

Stone Creek OH USA
I had 2 strange Brit bike sightings, both BSA's.......

I was in Finland the week after Easter about 2012 at an underground nickel mine near Oulu Finland. Our dealer who was driving me around, stopped for fuel and an immaculate B331/B33 rigid pulled away from the petrol pumps just as we pulled up.

2nd was in Athens Greece one summer, was in the Plaka area of Athens and a well worn M20 was parked along the street. Guy walked up to me and asked me if I knew what I was looking at. When I looked up, he saw I had a BSA hat on. Turns out he was the owner, several beers and hours later, he headed off on the M20 and I walked back to the hotel.

grin

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.
Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728602
03/14/18 7:40 pm
03/14/18 7:40 pm
SF Bay Area, CA
DJBSAOCNC Offline

BritBike Forum member
DJBSAOCNC  Offline

BritBike Forum member

SF Bay Area, CA
Living in the San Francisco Bay Area and being involved the Clubman's Show, I've seen quite a few rare bikes, a number of them ridden. I think that the oddest "in the wild" sighting for me was back around 1978. I was in the town of Arcata in Northern California and saw a Silk 700S parked on the street.

Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728605
03/14/18 7:47 pm
03/14/18 7:47 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline

Life member

Back on the mainland!
On the road, where they SHOULD be! wink

Seriously, there's a brit bike shop three miles down the road from my house. On any given day, there can be upward of 15-20 british/european bikes getting serviced, restored, etc....

I ride fairly regularly and even visit the shop on occasion if I need a quick bit or bob, or I want to say hello to Jack. But I hardly EVER see them on the road anywhere!?

Just like the cops, never around when you want/need them.

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728617
03/14/18 8:58 pm
03/14/18 8:58 pm
melbourne florida
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

melbourne florida
Florida is full of um!!!! Just around the corner Plumber Bill has 2 or 3 including a 2500 mile all orig.TSS. Eric down the road has a AJS single. Saw some Mon. going around in 1/2 mile circles at Barberville. And last Saturday the AMCA meet in Daytona had a pretty big pile of um. There is 4 here in my pile I see all the time!!!!!

Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728625
03/14/18 9:45 pm
03/14/18 9:45 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
I was in Singapore and had the weekend off and decided to check out Fort Canning Hill (WW2 bunker) A horrible ordeal for the British with the invasion...not to mention the locals.

The next day, with those graphic Black and White photos still in my head from the bunker, I went out to explore some back alleys. I could not believe my eyes when I came upon a BSA M-20 parked on its center-stand. Not some re-stored bike mind you. Someone was still using it! Now you have to understand, Singapore is all about out with the old and in with the new when it comes to anything using gas/petrol. Stared at it for some time. I want to believe it was a survivor's survivor. But I guess I'll never know...

----THE CLASH-----

Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728642
03/15/18 12:07 am
03/15/18 12:07 am
Nor Cal
Roadwarrior Offline

BritBike Forum member
Roadwarrior  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Nor Cal
I see one, except mine, about once a month. Always Triumphs. Never anything else. And usually on Salmon Falls road on the way to Cool, CA. It’s a well known ride around here.

Who are the brain police?

Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728655
03/15/18 6:03 am
03/15/18 6:03 am
SoCal
P
Phil R Offline
BritBike Forum member
Phil R  Offline
BritBike Forum member
P

SoCal
In the San Diego area I spot a vintage Triumph on the road fairly often. Probably not too surprising as I believe Triumph sold more bikes in the U.S. than anywhere else (especially back in those years). There really is no such thing as a "riding season" around here .....it's pretty much year-round. Some years back I was leaving a deli when I spotted what looked like a brit bike sitting in an apartment parking lot.; had to check it out of course & it turned out to be a Matchless that was obviously someone's basic transportation rider. Cosmetically beautiful it wasn't, but totally authentic ...... you bet.

These old brit bikes evoke something that lies hidden beneath the surface in much of the general public. They may not know a thing about motorcycles, but they instinctively know when they see & hear one that looks and sounds "just right".

One time I was out on a shake-down run on an XS650. The XS was wasn't registered yet & had no insurance. My oldest son was following on a bitsa Triumph 500 ( at least it was legal ). We were cruising the back roads of town when all-of -a-sudden the RED lights came on behind us! "Well sh*t" I thought feeling sure that a citation was the likely out-come. To the surprise of us both, the two young cops never even glanced at the XS. They admitted they just wanted to "check out that cool Triumph" !

Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728671
03/15/18 12:18 pm
03/15/18 12:18 pm
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA
kurt fischer Offline

#irideslow
kurt fischer  Offline

#irideslow

Arlington, Massachusetts, USA
Rare that I see Brit bikes on the road around here, let's say within 100 miles of Boston. Other than at the vintage meets, that is. A couple of years ago, riding north on Massachusetts Route 12 in Lunenburg, a '69 Rocket 3 went flying past me about 30mph over the limit, it looked and sounded great, looked to be a full restoration. It carried a New Hampshire vanity plate "BSA3" -- anyone know that bike?

And, back in September 2012, out for a ride on the great roads in central Massachusetts on my Guzzi with another old guy, Saunders, on his Guzzi, destination the Petersham Country Store in Petersham, Massachusetts, we came across this Brough and Velo parked out front. The Brough owner told us he was getting ready for an antique bike run, and that the lady on the Velo rides her bike cross country (Arizona, I think he said), sounded like a regular thing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Brough wasn't kickstarting, so he rolled down East Street to bump it, I snapped him as he turned north on Route 32.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kurt fischer; 03/15/18 3:33 pm.

Kurt
1968-70-71 Triumph TR6R Bitsa - 1969 Triumph TR6R - 1971 BSA A65L - 1973 Triumph TR5T
2005 Ducati MTS 1000S DS - 2012 Ducati Hyper 796 - 2014 Kawasaki ZX1000
Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728684
03/15/18 3:56 pm
03/15/18 3:56 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Wow Kurt, those are some good looking bikes! Love that they're getting ridden too.

30mph over the speed limit and NH tags? If it was a Norton, you could almost guarantee it was our own "Howard Inough" laugh

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728685
03/15/18 4:24 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by rick e.
I was in Singapore and had the weekend off and decided to check out Fort Canning Hill (WW2 bunker) A horrible ordeal for the British with the invasion...not to mention the locals.

The next day, with those graphic Black and White photos still in my head from the bunker, I went out to explore some back alleys. I could not believe my eyes when I came upon a BSA M-20 parked on its center-stand. Not some re-stored bike mind you. Someone was still using it! Now you have to understand, Singapore is all about out with the old and in with the new when it comes to anything using gas/petrol. Stared at it for some time. I want to believe it was a survivor's survivor. But I guess I'll never know...

i lived in KL as a teenager. had a 62 trophy. old british stuff was everywhere.

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728686
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
With the exceptions of THREE classic Britbikes I've ever seen here in Laredo, Texas, and one modern Triumph, I have bought EVERY other one I've seen locally!

(nearly a dozen in 45 years)

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728689
03/15/18 5:27 pm
03/15/18 5:27 pm
Santa Barbara, California
KC in S.B. Offline

BritBike Forum member
KC in S.B.  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, California
There's a stretch of the old CAL Rt 1, that is off the Hwy 101 N. Of Ventura. It's along the ocean and attracts all the RVs / Motor homes. Many of the RVs carry a bike on the back. I had a laugh one day as there on the back was an old worn out looking A65! I have to admit, my first thought was " Wow, I'd hate to depend on that thing for backup", and I even LIKE BSAs! It would not be a lightweight to load either..... !

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
Oops,.. add 1 Sporty
Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: kevin roberts] #728690
03/15/18 5:28 pm
03/15/18 5:28 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
Originally Posted by rick e.

i lived in KL as a teenager. had a 62 trophy. old british stuff was everywhere.

Not surprising. Big change when you go over the bridge to JB and beyond. Unless you want to pay the Tax, where do you think Singapore sends its vehicles?

----THE CLASH-----

Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728723
03/15/18 11:34 pm
03/15/18 11:34 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa

ohio, usa
lol

i remember singapore when rats ran in the monsoon drains and in the evening the old men yoked up the honey buckets to empty the outhouses. wonderful place, absolutely overpowering in richness of culture

you're talking about the british bunkers. do you mean the ones out on the island in the harbor, with all the machine gun emplacements facing the ocean? i remember exploring old bunkers out there by flashlight, but i don;t know what the island was called. pulau something or other, obviously

arched tunnels, with ladders in the airshafts and a few towers above ground

Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: rick e.] #728778
03/16/18 2:36 pm
03/16/18 2:36 pm
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Online content

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Well obviously (or maybe not so much) being winter I haven't seen many bikes of any sort any time lately...
BUT when we were in England in November, we kept seeing bikes, mostly passing us when we were in the car, (BSA, Velocette) or zipping past quickly enough that there was no time to get a pic (V-twin 3 wheeled Morgan).
We did happen upon this guy one day tho...

[Linked Image]

Lovely chap, lovely bike.

[Linked Image]

This was in the village of Tintagel, or quite nearby- at the Camelot Hotel

[Linked Image]

where the coffee is "good", the people are nice -if not weird- and the art is.... well I don't want to spoil it, you just have to go see for yourself.

[Linked Image]

and that is the last random-sighting BritBike I've seen "in the wild"... in its natural habitat, so to speak.

[Linked Image]

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: You saw a vintage British Bike where? [Re: kevin roberts] #728780
03/16/18 2:51 pm
03/16/18 2:51 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
lol

i remember singapore when rats ran in the monsoon drains and in the evening the old men yoked up the honey buckets to empty the outhouses. wonderful place, absolutely overpowering in richness of culture

you're talking about the british bunkers. do you mean the ones out on the island in the harbor, with all the machine gun emplacements facing the ocean? i remember exploring old bunkers out there by flashlight, but i don;t know what the island was called. pulau something or other, obviously

arched tunnels, with ladders in the airshafts and a few towers above ground

I think your thinking of Sentosa Island...yes, bunkers out there also...

The one I went to was overlooking Boat Quay and the harbor

----THE CLASH-----

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership