BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
mikefreinberg
mikefreinberg
Santa Cruz CA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
21 registered members (BeezaBryan), 185 guests, and 54 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
locobeta, Walt, DennisMartin, Dwight V, urbanghost
10387 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 98
Triless 88
reverb 82
Rohan 80
Mori55 79
Stuart 77
DavidP 72
btour 66
Popular Topics(Views)
690,422 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,045
Posts662,077
Members10,387
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Working on the double Triumph... #728492
03/13/18 3:30 pm
03/13/18 3:30 pm
Running from demons in WNY
Hillbilly bike Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member

I have been working on the bike on and off... Got the oil pressure issue fixed, inverted crank seal...No unusual debris on magnetic drain plugs or sump screens or on inside the cut open oil filters so I assume all is ok ...Have to get some race gas and fire it up to check....
The primary drive took a beating from several hours on the dyno and a few trips down the track.And my crew failed to oil the chains as directed !!!..The front chain was partially siezed ,EK brand.. The rear engine chain and primary chain are Chinese "Ultima" brand and held up ok...I cut a new Ultima chain to size for the front..

Substituted different type fuel filters.Hopefully it's cure the occasional random carb flooding...
The bike will probably be run this summer at the new location of the ECTA in Arkansas

[Linked Image]

I ride dinosaurs....
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Working on the double Triumph... [Re: Hillbilly bike] #728508
03/13/18 8:01 pm
03/13/18 8:01 pm
melbourne florida
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

melbourne florida
Brings me back to one of my heros's in my way younger days. Grew up a motorhead on L.I. Boris on the Tri. and the triple triple Kaw.!!!!!!!!!
Good luck this summer keep us posted

Re: Working on the double Triumph... [Re: Hillbilly bike] #728561
03/14/18 12:18 pm
03/14/18 12:18 pm
Nova Scotia, Canada
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K

Nova Scotia, Canada
Interesting that the fuel filters might have been the cause of random carb flooding problems. I saw massive carb flooding on my bike while on the chassis dyno at higher rpm which I attributed to being tied down with the rigid rear, possibly causing the needle valve to vibrate off its seat . Or maybe they were flooding while competing that I wasn't aware of. I lowered float level slightly which apparently solved the flooding problem on the dyno, without adversely affecting performance.

As for the excessive wear on the primary chains, I saw one innovation that dripped water onto the chains on a dual Yamaha engined bike to at least keep them cooler. There is apparently no rule against dripping water onto the track (at Bonneville.) Other than that, what about using "open gear" lubricant that is used on open transmission gears and chains? Sticky as hell, but you would have to add shields to contain it.

Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: Working on the double Triumph... [Re: Hillbilly bike] #728567
03/14/18 2:00 pm
03/14/18 2:00 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Tom, the previous fuel filters were home made screens...The petcocks are 3/8 NPT ,I rolled up 100 micron steel screen and stuck it in the nipple hoping it would work.Real Hillbilly filters.....The tanks are also home made and there's a bit of junk inside that flakes off....The new filters have 40 micron bronze stone filters...I will check the flow...
On the dyno the engines' power rose normally and then flattened out around 6200 RPM but still pulled to 7200 RPM...Despite what the air /fuel meter said the very experienced dyno operator thought the carbs were going rich on top end...Could be harmonics messing with float levels..I lowered the floats 1 MM....
Water cooling sounds good.... but dripping water on a paved track might be frowned on ? The chains are being used beyond their design limit and belts would be better in this situation...But the cost of belts and custom designed pulleys might be too frustrating..And the chains are reliable for about an hours use...many runs down the track...

I ride dinosaurs....
Re: Working on the double Triumph... [Re: Hillbilly bike] #728585
03/14/18 4:56 pm
03/14/18 4:56 pm
Nova Scotia, Canada
K
koncretekid Offline
BritBike Forum member
koncretekid  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K

Nova Scotia, Canada
Water injection into the intakes is perfectly legal even in the gas class as long as it's pure water and such a tank would not raise any alarms. A small water tank with a valved line running into the chain guards would not seem to be counter to any rules in the books. I'm sure that small amount of water would be no more than what comes out of the majority of cars running down the tracks, so I wouldn't worry about it. I would point out to the starter (Paul, at Loring) that it's water, as he does look each machine over and will flag a bike if it's leaking gas or oil. Easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Incidentally, I was one of the tech inspectors on your bikes at Loring last year as I usually go to the track a day early to help out with bike inspections.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Re: Working on the double Triumph... [Re: Hillbilly bike] #728587
03/14/18 5:15 pm
03/14/18 5:15 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

I wasn't at Maine in July when the bike was run....My friend/bike owner and rider, friendly guy with lots of tattoos, said you guys did a thorough inspection and had a bitch or two about minor stuff but let the bike run as it was...I don't know if it was you but an inspector said " anyone can buy and race a Hayabusa, this bike is what LSR is about " I take that to mean a grass roots home built machine...
I don't think the bike will be at Maine this year...There are plans to go to the ECTA meet at the new location in Arkansas...A 16 ounce tank of water will fit on the front down tube and gravity fed with a valve....What's the worst ? Inspector says remove it...

Edit, Tom PM'ed me to say there was a discussion at tech inspection with my rider concerning the way I made a tranny mount...But they were considerate and let the bike run as is....

Last edited by Hillbilly bike; 03/14/18 5:58 pm.

I ride dinosaurs....
Re: Working on the double Triumph... [Re: Hillbilly bike] #728594
03/14/18 6:16 pm
03/14/18 6:16 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa

ohio, usa
your bike had a crowd wherever it was parked. there were bikes much newer and faster that didnt get a second glance.

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: Working on the double Triumph... [Re: Hillbilly bike] #728601
03/14/18 7:26 pm
03/14/18 7:26 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Well my rider likes attention...The bike is interesting to look at with all parts from Suzuki and Harley..and the home made stuff...I didn't have any plans of drawings, just built it from a picture in my mind and the primary drive design idea from the McEvoy/Martinez Triumph double..The engines are offset 3/4 inch to the left of center line and with the big clutch and chain drive hanging off the left side I had some concern the bike might drift left at speed...The rider said it goes straight down the track and can be steered slightly if necessary to stay on course...He also said it's a very intense internal combustion experience....
I recently had a discussion with the man who built the the Moto Guzzi that holds the Bonneville MPG1000 record of 150 MPH. The Guzzi was timed at 159 during non record runs in the same trim running in altered class....He says the engine makes 78-83 HP on a Superflow dyno....Both my Triumphs were run on a Superflow ...It's a eddy current machine that read about 10 percent less than the more common inertia Dynojet....The numbers I give here are Dynojet conversion because guys like to compare numbers.... The double has 87 Superflow HP (the 650 bike has 49 Superflow HP) So depending on drag and air density ....155 or so should be realistic for the Double Triumph...

I ride dinosaurs....
Re: Working on the double Triumph... [Re: Hillbilly bike] #729119
03/19/18 2:19 am
03/19/18 2:19 am
South cone
R
reverb Offline
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

South cone
...did you do something to keep the oil inside? I mean; for example putting the ball bearings under the studs?
I have in two bikes a leak under the head and possibly is from a stud.

--there s a guy with some clips in ytube that has a Trident replica of the 70s Triumph racers done by R North. He was riding in the Isle of man with the camera in front of the clocks and into the town at some point he s riding at 154MPH!

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership